News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2017-07-23 MSG, New York, NY

Started by pcr3, July 23, 2017, 11:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

Quote from: emay on July 24, 2017, 06:35:44 PM
Quote from: whatapiper on July 24, 2017, 06:34:32 PM
I haven't been this excited to see the boys since 09.

Its almost like re-living Gumbo's prime on the paug too....great time to be alive fellas!

Those were heady days, my friend.  This is the first time I think I've ever felt like I'm getting everything I want from the band, playing-wise.  Song choice gripes will always be there regardless of playing caliber, but man....  these guys are fucking on right now. 

Even Theme from the Bottom ruled last night!  That jam was so great! 

EDIT:   So i'm finally digging back into this first set, and holy shit!!!  GBOTT, HMPAY, Glide and fucking Theme are out of this world good!  A flubless Glide!  Couldn't believe it.  And the jams in GBOTT, HMPAY and Theme are so satisfying.  This might be the best first set I've ever seen.  Man, what playing. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mehead

Quote from: VDB on July 24, 2017, 01:18:15 PM
Who doesn't love a good Twost jam?

finally getting around to listening this......

:rockout:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Gumbo72203

Love that untz jamming in Twost!  There was one jam before where I heard Fishman do it for maybe 1 measure, i can't remember what it was, but this is the first time EVER I believe where Fishman has played an actual untz drum beat.  Even in Runaway Jim, he doesn't quite do it.  But for the last few measures of this Twist jam before the return to the theme, you hear Fishman pounding that kick drum in quarter notes, and for part of it he matches the snare hits with the kick drum, albeit littering the spaces in between with accented notes. 

Twist definitely still had legs, Trey wasn't done jamming that, but Fishman pulled the ripcord when the energy dipped a little bit. 

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Superfreakie

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 24, 2017, 08:28:18 PM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 24, 2017, 04:22:19 PM
So, that was a lot of fun.  Best It's Ice ever.  Hands down.  Lotta fun in the second set, although the energy in the building was waiting to fucking EXPLODE once Fishman dropped into 2001 out of Waves....    and then it didn't happen.  That was likely the best set-up for that song I'll ever see/hear...and they didn't do it.  Everybody around me in 212 was like "OH MAN HERE COMES 2001!!!!" and we were jonesing for it so hard.... and then fucking Miss You.  Which was very well-played but... holy fuck, what a missed opportunity with not going to 2001.

Also, why in the holy fuck do you open a 2nd set with ACDC Bag on your "Hey we're finally actually jamming" run and NOT jam it?  EVERYBODY around us was like "OH FUCK A 2nd SET BAG!! HERE WE GO!" and then proceed to get slapped with a tepid rendition.  Lol this band. 

Anyway, those gripes aside.... great show.  Twist was a dream.  Waves was fantastic and go so quiet.  AMBIENT JAMMING!!!  Loved it.  This 2nd set had some quirky flow towards the back half like Sat night did, but whatever I guess! 

Lotta good stuff.  Go see them now, or forever regret it!

The 2001 he tried to go into that ended up being a Split Open at Deer Creek '99 was a helluva teaser as well.

Cough.....PNC '99 - 2001 Fishman beat drops into SOAM>Kung>Jam
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

susep

Great jamming in Ice, Wolfman's, Twist and Waves.  It's Ice is especially fresh w/ new ideas.  I love Phish's ambient jamming, the second set has lots.  "On the wind and under water..." 👏🏼

gah

finally got around to this ice, and it's legit. it was so good, even tho i knew it was going to be from everyones talking about it, that it still made me start laughing and saying oh shit as i drove into work today. and that's just ONE from this night...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 25, 2017, 03:22:15 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on July 24, 2017, 08:28:18 PM

The 2001 he tried to go into that ended up being a Split Open at Deer Creek '99 was a helluva teaser as well.

Cough.....PNC '99 - 2001 Fishman beat drops into SOAM>Kung>Jam

haha yeah I know about these.  Mike got him twice! 

I still can't believe the band didn't call for 2001 there.  I'm not sure there will ever be a more perfect moment for that to drop.  It would have been absolutely titanic.  Most energy I'll likely ever have experienced at a Phish show.  But it was not to be!