News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Convert Tapes to Digital Files

Started by sharebear, June 24, 2010, 03:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharebear

Anyone know the best way or best software to convert all of my old cassette tapes through my MAC to have them digital.

mattstick

NAK Dragon >
analog out to Tascam DV-RA1000HD >
output digital via cox S/PDIF into Tascam US-144mkII >
record in any DAW software.

kellerb

Quote from: sharebear on June 24, 2010, 03:02:46 PM
Anyone know the best way or best software to convert all of my old cassette tapes through my MAC to have them digital.

bittorrent    :evil:

sharebear

in English please... i am not smart enough to understand the lingo
I hear ya on the torrents, but I have tapes that no one has on digital and tis a shame to have them sitting in a box

please PM me with details if you really do know the best way to get the tapes converted and have the time to explain to me.

thanks

:mrgreen:

mattstick

The trouble is... if you don't use pro-gear, you're not really doing anyone any favors.

ytowndan

I agree with Matt.  There's plenty of trustworthy (and capable) people here you could send them off to, and they'll get the job done for you.  In the end it will be worth it. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mistercharlie

So you have uncirculated shows? Or just uncirculated sources? Have you checked the db to see if the sources you have may already be in circulation?

If you have some DNC shows that would be (*)(*)'s!!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sharebear

I too agree with Mattstick, I am in no way able to convert them alone... hence the request for some help.  Its just a shame to lose all of the years of trading and listening to heady aud tapes, some soundboards and a heck of a lot of good music.

If you or anyone is into converting some of the better shows for me great... or educate me on where to find these shows digitally even better.

Much love and thanks in advance.

Sharebear.

mistercharlie

Quote from: sharebear on June 24, 2010, 04:31:32 PM
I too agree with Mattstick, I am in no way able to convert them alone... hence the request for some help.  Its just a shame to lose all of the years of trading and listening to heady aud tapes, some soundboards and a heck of a lot of good music.

If you or anyone is into converting some of the better shows for me great... or educate me on where to find these shows digitally even better.

Much love and thanks in advance.

Sharebear.

Check db.etree.org  for all digital Phish. You can find it to grab at bt.etree.org shnflac.net  and if you get really technical you can get almost all phish through the shnfamily hub.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sharebear

thank you Mr. Charlie..... your kindness will be rewarded in time

Superfreakie

Some of us here are pretty fanatical collectors. That being said, you're best to compose a list of what you have and then cross check it, as Charlie suggested, with the database (db.etree.org). A lot of those Maxell XLII's you have analog copies from, are copies from DAT tapes (digital tapes) that have since been converted to other digital mediums which most of us are listening to already, except without your analog generations (=tape hiss). During my touring years, especially in the early 90's, I pretty much only had analog tapes. Then digital trading with DAT tapes became quite popular, and thus we all could have as great a sounding tape as he/she who had taped it and was first in the generation chain. Unfortunately DAT tapes and players were pretty expensive. BUT THEN came bittorrent and hard drives, and well everything was turned upside down. We now pretty much have the entire Phish audience catalog at our fingertips, of which 75% or more are of A+, as good as soundboard if not better, quality (also dependent on your playback system).

Concerning these torrent sites, there are many that host torrents for download including many other bands. This is where we "seed" new digital tapes to the masses, as well as run year projects (94, 95, 96 etc...) to help others collect or fill holes in their collections. In the database, on each show's page, there are actually links to many of these seeds, especially those hosted at bt.etree.org . If you pm me, I can offer you a tutorial to bittorrent if would like. Unfortunately, I'm a pc guy and not a Mac dude. All I can say is, since the first bittorrent tutorial someone gave me 10 years ago or so, I have gone on to collect nearly forty thousand concerts of pristine quality. Something that I could only dream about ten years ago. Amazing world we live in.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mistercharlie

Marmar

Converting Tape to Digital is my area of expertise.....

If ya don't know what yer doin, don't do it. Leave it to the "pros".
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

willsteele

^^ So is that an offer to do some "conversions"?         :roll:
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

mattstick

Given that I work for Tascam it would be pretty easy for me to convert cassettes to digital (get paid while I do it), and I'd gladly do it if there was uncirculated or interesting material out there..

I'm not particularly interested in mastering/editing/tracking however, so you'd get 45 minute WAV or FLAC files sent back to you.

PM me.