News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/15 - Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA -Post Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, August 16, 2012, 02:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

aphineday

Quote from: barnesy305 on August 16, 2012, 09:20:23 PM
Quote from: danje on August 16, 2012, 08:16:29 PM
This guy's video on this show is pretty great.

"Sober Trey dude, makes the difference."
Holy shit, I had no idea Gerard Depardieu was from Los Angeles, I thought he was French. Weird.
I wonder if he's paid by the number of times he can use the words "dude" or "man". If he is, I bet he's a rich mother fucker.
In closing, he claims to be sober. I very highly doubt that, but if this is sober, it's not working for him. Time to chop some lines, dude.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Itsnotanexperience

no doubt.    nice flow to the show.    good song choices.   pretty good execution in guelah and rift.    i could live with this band if they keep working on flow and letting some jams develop.   

but let's face it, trey was showing off for bieber and posse.

and somewhere during this leg, TTE will return and set us back 100 shows.

Itsnotanexperience

barnesy305

Quote from: aphineday on August 16, 2012, 09:39:27 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on August 16, 2012, 09:20:23 PM

"Sober Trey dude, makes the difference."
Holy shit, I had no idea Gerard Depardieu was from Los Angeles, I thought he was French. Weird.
I wonder if he's paid by the number of times he can use the words "dude" or "man". If he is, I bet he's a rich mother fucker.
In closing, he claims to be sober. I very highly doubt that, but if this is sober, it's not working for him. Time to chop some lines, dude.

Haha no shit. " This is my second show....in 15 years.... well, I saw them here last year, so it's really my second show in a year....I think it was last year..."

McGrupp

proving that you don't have to be spun, to be a spunion.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

cactusfan

i actually attended this show! i know, look at me.

so yeah, first set was a warm up. i enjoyed Guelah and Cool It Down and the rock peak Quinn was a nice enough end to it. but not really anything to write home about in this set.

and then set II. hell yeah. coming out with 40 minutes of R&R and Ghost? i'll take it. will need to listen again, of course, but live it was a pleasure to actually experience jamming. thought the rest of the set was very well played with great energy. especially the Limb. and i liked the Hood jam doing something slightly different.

and they soundchecked Spock's Brain, did they? excellent. i fully expect to hear it in SF this weekend. for which shows i'm very psyched.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

Illusion actually sounds level headed compared to most southern Californians.

Gumbo72203

Phan, props to the review of the Rock and Roll.  Love reading your shit, but I eminently disagree with a sizeable chunk. 

From like, 15:00 16:30 Trey is working a great melodic, chord-progession-based pattern.  He's basically playing the 6/3/11 Disease jam.  at 16:30 he comes in with a new theme that him and Page work on really well up through 17:30. 

I think the trick to Phish's jamming now is that they DON'T build themes.  They build INTERACTION.  Like, this jam is a huge picture of how well Trey and Page listen, or CAN listen.  I mean, Fish and Mike are being kind of ignored in a way but, Trey and Page are playing tag this entire jam.  That, and Trey's wah-delay shit was FUCKING COOL when Fish was playing to it.  Trey has never done that, combining wah and delay like that.  Literally, that is COMPLETELY new. 

But anyway, its weird, because like... CK5 is doing shit the entire time, when he SHOULDN'T.  There was nothing happening, musical-structurally-speaking.  And I think, in a way, Phish takes this as "Okay, we aren't the focus anymore.  We aren't in charge of being the creator of X 'form' or concept."

As in, they aren't the NOW-element that is forging order and structure out of the nothing-ness of the blank slate, if that makes sense.  Whereas, before, it was THEM who needed to make form and structure out of the musical potentiality for CK5 to latch onto and then interpret and create a pattern. 

Phish aren't a dancing band anymore.  They are a performance/spectacle band now.  The basic, underlying concept behind the Phish musical experience is NO LONGER the idea that they are the provider of a string of seamless groove story for the audience to dance their way through.  Rather, they provide a thing to watch and look at.  At least thats the way I see things now. 

Because fucking watch this: 

Like...  okay.  SO, what happened?  Phish fucking played amazing music, and CK5 did like... NOTHING.  It was left up to the musicians to be the creator of whatever new form/format/structure/concept/arrangement.  And this allowed him to smooooothly follow Phish as they slunk into the post-Jim Page-chill section at 2:30 and then slowwwwly move the lights out over the crowd at 3:20 at Trey steps up and Fish swings the beat.  Something like that could never happen today, light-and-music-wise.

And then when Fish does his fucking cool beat-change thing like in the Cypress After Midnight Jam at 4:25 and the band slides into I Am Hydrogen for a minute, CK5 smooothly does a little pattern transition and then finds a new light perspective.  He gave the music freedom to mutate and worm its way into new things, and followed them.

Nowadays, CK5, bless him, is all like "DUDE FUCKING THIS THAT AND ALL THIS SHIT TOO AND FUCK LOOK AT THIS CHASE PATTERN I PLAY OVER THE DIVIDED SKY INTRO AND OMG BALLS PEAKS EVERYWHERE WITH STROBE LIGHTS DURING VELVET SEA AND FARMHOUSE."

******DISCLAIMER******
To understand and/or interalize the conceptual factorabilities inherently displayed, pursuant to Gumbo by-law Section 08, line 4, subsection B.3, all parties in accordance with the Interweb Futility Clause, shall interpret all sayings, written or otherwise implied, by an inverse factor of exaggeration to comply with known codes of logic and all manners as such. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 17, 2012, 01:03:57 PM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 17, 2012, 01:01:20 PM
Phish aren't a dancing band anymore.

The Illusion disagrees.

I disagree... There was one point in all three SPAC shows when I did not dance and that was during KUNG. Phish are definitely still a dance band. I didn't notice a damn thing CK5 was doing...
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Is this still Wombat?