News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dim Lights, Thick Smoke, and Loud, Loud Music

Started by nab, February 22, 2021, 12:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

This is a conversation about exploring the Country Music cannon.

That sentence alone could be problematic for casual observers and genre scholars, but expected in a tent who's listeners want to cram Townes Van Zandt and Florida Georgia Line under the same canopy. Authenticity is central and also nebulous. 

But I'm here to fill my head with tunes and nerd out on the high and lonesome sound. What are your stepping stones in the broader genera? What are you listening to now that is blowing your mind? Where TF do they file any of this at your local music shop and how? Wanna complain about Bro Country, have at it. How important is Music Row? Where TF is Music Row now?

Go Go Go

nab

PIE-GUY

Been on a Terry Allen kick lately. So good. And everyone knows how much I love Townes and Willie. natronzero had me digging into more Jerry Jeff Walker lately, too.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

I actually have been going back through my country collection the last 2 or 3 weeks.
Some of the standouts have been Emmy Lou Harris, Waylon & Willie (of course).
As far as newer country, Colter Wall is incredible, as is Sturgill Simpson.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

nab

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 22, 2021, 07:08:38 AM
Been on a Terry Allen kick lately. So good.

Escaped my radar until now, but on doing a little reading about Allen, sounds like something I should check out.

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on February 22, 2021, 07:53:05 AM
I actually have been going back through my country collection the last 2 or 3 weeks.
Some of the standouts have been Emmy Lou Harris, Waylon & Willie (of course).
As far as newer country, Colter Wall is incredible, as is Sturgill Simpson.

Harris is phenomenal. Roses in the Snow, with Ricky Skaggs, should be required listening for any music fan.

Simpson is one of the artists I was actually thinking about looking into next. Any suggestions on where to start first?

Bobafett

Shotgun Willie has been in the pandemic rotation for almost a year for me.

I grew up with Garth, George strait, Alan Jackson,  then discovered outlaw country and all their ass kicking ideals.  Jumbo Mathis and the tri state coalition and south Memphis string band are some of my newer favorites.

Good thread.  Thanks
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: nab on February 22, 2021, 08:41:50 AM

Escaped my radar until now, but on doing a little reading about Allen, sounds like something I should check out.

Start with Lubbock (On Everything). So many great tunes, but this one is a favorite of mine:

nab

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 22, 2021, 09:30:04 AM

Start with Lubbock (On Everything). So many great tunes, but this one is a favorite of mine:

That kind of self-referential (to the genre) stuff in the music is awesome. Sort of a lilting waltzy like melody with a confessional attached to the end. The lyrics remind me of Richard Brautigan.

Good stuff.

nab

Quote from: Bobafett on February 22, 2021, 09:02:17 AM
Shotgun Willie has been in the pandemic rotation for almost a year for me.

I grew up with Garth, George strait, Alan Jackson,  then discovered outlaw country and all their ass kicking ideals.  Jumbo Mathis and the tri state coalition and south Memphis string band are some of my newer favorites.

Good thread.  Thanks

If I remember correctly, you and I hail from generally the same portion of the country.

Strait, Brooks, and Jackson were all over when I was growing up too. I've returned to them now that I have a broader appreciation  for the genre and can start to understand where they fit beyond the FM radio hits. Jackson and Strait have especially gotten more appreciation from me.

I like most of Brooks' first two albums, but a lot of that is my appreciation for Chris Ledoux.

Buffalo Budd

Harris is phenomenal. Roses in the Snow, with Ricky Skaggs, should be required listening for any music fan.

Simpson is one of the artists I was actually thinking about looking into next. Any suggestions on where to start first?

A Sailor's Guide to Earth is what hooked me and I continued to dig into his catalogue, which isn't that extensive yet.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on February 22, 2021, 02:52:37 PM

A Sailor's Guide to Earth is what hooked me and I continued to dig into his catalogue, which isn't that extensive yet.

The two newer bluegrass records are outstanding.

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 22, 2021, 03:31:12 PM

Took a spin through Volume 1 on Spotify and picked up the vinyl when I went there to get the other Colter Wall LP I should have picked up the other day.

Good stuff, thanks for the recommendation fellas.

PIE-GUY

Also, not my favorite in this realm, but this song is pretty great.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 22, 2021, 03:31:12 PM

Totally agree, looking forward to his continued output.

mattstick

The 2 Ricky Skaggs album from that time are really good too -

Sweet Temptation and Waiting' For The Sun To Rise.