News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Favorite Tweezer

Started by mikesgroovin56, June 26, 2005, 04:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesgroovin56

i apologize in advance since i have allready posted a favorite tweezer thread, but my opinions have changed in the last few months and i was wondering what versions stand out.  These ones do for me:

11-28-94 - Probably one of the best "experimental" jams of fall 94... I just love the musical territory it explores.

12-2-95 - Total Hose, enough said

11-17-97 - I know charley dirksen isn't a big fan of this one and gives it bad reviews on phish.net, but i think it is one of the most textured and inspiring/soaring jams of fall 97.

10-30-98 - I love the way trey adds his sort of fluttery trills in this one.  The segues out of Manteca and into NICU are also superb

6-9-00 - Spacy western sounding groove that is very characteristic of Japan 00 improvisation

2-28-03 - Hands down best post-hiatus tweezer... somewhat reminescent (sp?) 10-30-98 version imo (though the ending is different and it is somewhat longer)

mattstick

12/6/97
and 11/30/95

love 'em!

Bill

Funny, I was just listening to the Tweezer from 11-17-97 on my way home this morning and thinking that, although it is not a "traditional" Tweezer (in the way I look at them), it has to stand up with the great versions.  The funk jamming and the creativity are unparalleled.  I'll have to give 12-6-97 a listen too.  I respect Charlie Dirksen's opinion, but that's all it is.  It's not gospel.

jedifunk

lol, charlies review of 11/17 angered me the 1st time i read it
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

hachiemachie

I've always secretly hoped that Charlie Dirksen was really Trey or Paul or something. And while I generally enjoy his reviews, he seems to be the type who confuses being "critical" with being "knowledgeable". 11-17-97 is EASILY a top three show. Ever.

rowjimmy

Before this gets to the level of assailing Charlie Dirksen (with whom I've had a number of spirirted exchanges in the past) remeber that a critical review is still just an opinion and he well knows it. This would be why many of his reviews ended with the tag "two cents". It's just his little contribution and there's no implication of significant value.

As for knowledgeable... At that time Charlie D. was as knowledgable as anyone in the music of Phish, without a doubt. Perhaps not the MOST, but certainly well above par and swinging from the pro tees.

As for hot Tweezers... I'll throw out Lemonwheel, 1995-06-17 Nissan Pav. with the JBG bustout, 1994-11-28 bozeman

there's more but this is an off-the-top of my head.

jedifunk

my comments were never meant as an attack on charlie.  i've received a few shows from him over the years and have always held him in high regards in terms of his knowledge & insight into phish's music.  i did however respectfully disagree with his statements about 11/17/97.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

I don't know who Charlie Dirksen is, but I do know that disc two of the LP release
of 11-17-97 is probably one of the top five most listened to single discs in my collection of
Phish shows.  It holds up time and time again as an awesome listening experience and I really
can't imagine a Phish fan not enjoying it, but like you guys already said it's all subjective.

Gotta throw out 2-20-93 (if even just for the initial five or six minutes before things get really
over the top, love the sewer lyrics!) and 11-22-95 as some more hot Tweezers.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

hachiemachie

Hey, I didn't mean any disrespect either...I enjoy reading his reviews. It's better than "Dude, Possum rules!"

I wonder if his opinions have changed over the years...certainly he feels different about some things now, right?

Hicks

Quote from: ikkibut I do know that disc two of the LP release
of 11-17-97 is probably one of the top five most listened to single discs in my collection of
Phish shows.

And by disc two, I really mean disc one.   :oops:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

susep

Phish should keep throwing down the hammer and release more complete tours as opposed to one or 2 nights here and there.  Complete Fall '97 would be surreal to have in SBD Quality.

lbirdsey

For those who don't know where Charlie's Tweezer reviews are, click the link.  If you scroll to the bottom you can see a list of all the tweezers he's reviewed and the score he's given them.  Favorites of his include 11.30.95, 12.2.95, 12.6.97, 10.30.98, 10.22.95.  Check it out.

http://www.phish.net/reviews/tweezer/