News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

TSA Thread

Started by VDB, November 18, 2010, 10:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrum

phish conquered my fear of flying.
i used to refuse to fly... but when i found out that red rocks > shoreline > gorge was at the other end of my last flight, i was like "ok, lets go".
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 20, 2010, 03:56:45 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 20, 2010, 03:35:33 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 20, 2010, 03:29:56 PM
I have an extreme fear of flying and everything that surrounds it.

Therefore, any amount of security is fine with me.  Makes me feel safer.

I do understand the frustrations w/ invasion of privacy, but for me personally, I have no issues with it.

You have no issues with recorded video of your naked self being stored on a hard drive that some jackhole TSA agent making $28K per year has access to? That's crazy to me.

Correct.  I have no issues with that.

I clearly see why people do have issues with it -- but for me, all the added security just gives me a sense of safety.  I understand that my fear in completely irrational, but that doesn't stop it from occurring.

Killed in car accidents   42,116*
Killed by the common flu   20,000*
Killed by murders   15,517*
Killed in airline crashes   120 (1)
Killed by lightning strikes   90*
Killed by Anthrax   5

(1) Annual average over 19 year period.
*Average annual totals in United States.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

ytowndan

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 20, 2010, 04:15:59 PM

I do understand the frustrations w/ invasion of privacy, but for me personally, I have no issues with it.

You have no issues with recorded video of your naked self being stored on a hard drive that some jackhole TSA agent making $28K per year has access to? That's crazy to me.

I clearly see why people do have issues with it -- but for me, all the added security just gives me a sense of safety.  I understand that my fear in completely irrational, but that doesn't stop it from occurring.

Killed by Anthrax   5

I have an extreme fear of flying as well, but sometimes it can't be avoided.  And when I do have to suck it up and fly somewhere, those numbers are what keep me sane. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

WhatstheUse?

The numbers don't mean shit when I'm having an uncontrollable anxiety attack as the plane takes off....
Bring in the dude!

blatboom

fucking phobias.  how do they work?

PIE-GUY

Here's the other major problem with the scanners, imo. They're made by the same company that made the "puffers" which were ditched after they spent millions on them and were proven ineffective...  a company who has hired Micheal Chertoff to help them sell to the government... this is from the NYTimes.com:

Quote* In 2008, former U.S. Department of Homeland Security secretary Michael Chertoff authored a 38 page report warning of terrorists exploiting our security deficiencies – including air travel ...
    * After the [Christmas Day] 'bombing attempt' Chertoff made a flurry of media appearances suggesting that the "attempted bombing incident" could have been avoided if all airports were using full body scanners.
    * The Washington Post printed an article on January 1, 2010, calling Chertoff out for using his government credentials to promote a product that benefits his clients. It was revealed that Rapiscan Systems, the manufacturer of the naked body scanner Chertoff was recommending, was a client of Chertoff's security consulting agency.
    * Rapiscan has since received over $250 million in scanner orders.

Chertoff is an ass... he graduated from my high-school, too.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 20, 2010, 04:15:59 PM

Killed by Anthrax   5

the issue isn't plane crashes, it's terrorists bombing planes and preventable deaths.
I don't want to get blown up, so I don't mind the scanners, as long as they block the face out.
If I flew a lot, though, I'd have issues with the radiation exposure.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

If every airport had scanners, I would have been subject to unwanted radiation no less than 10 times in the last 30 days... and that is not an exaggeration. I travel a lot!

x-rays are useful but dangerous tools. They should be used sparingly and only when absolutely necessary. I have a history of cancer in my family... skin cancer, prostate cancer... I do not need to increase my chances.

As for being groped as my only alternative... fuck you. I am 90% convinced that the "enhanced screening" techniques introduced last week were merely publicity to drive people to use the scanners rather than the alternative.

You cannot legislate crazy people out of existence. Somebody is going to get through airport security somewhere and take down a plane no matter what security measures are in place. I hate to say that, but it's true. x-ray every bag, make every person walk through a metal detector, keep your eyes open for anything out of the ordinary and do your best. Leer at or grab every set of genitals wanting to travel by air? You're out of your fucking mind.

That's my opinion.

blatboom

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

blatboom

for those who have a hard time reading words..

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 20, 2010, 06:24:13 PM
If every airport had scanners, I would have been subject to unwanted radiation no less than 10 times in the last 30 days... and that is not an exaggeration. I travel a lot!

x-rays are useful but dangerous tools. They should be used sparingly and only when absolutely necessary. I have a history of cancer in my family... skin cancer, prostate cancer... I do not need to increase my chances.

As for being groped as my only alternative... fuck you. I am 90% convinced that the "enhanced screening" techniques introduced last week were merely publicity to drive people to use the scanners rather than the alternative.

You cannot legislate crazy people out of existence. Somebody is going to get through airport security somewhere and take down a plane no matter what security measures are in place. I hate to say that, but it's true. x-ray every bag, make every person walk through a metal detector, keep your eyes open for anything out of the ordinary and do your best. Leer at or grab every set of genitals wanting to travel by air? You're out of your fucking mind.

That's my opinion.
I think you're right on both points
I'd like to know what the rad exposure is on those things
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

danje

Bobafett

just saw video on cnn of an 8 yr old being strip searched.   give me a fuckin break. 
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

sls.stormyrider

from SNL last night