News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fall '96 open critique

Started by susep, October 25, 2005, 03:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Quote from: mattstick on November 21, 2006, 10:36:12 AM
No doubt.  I love that 11/11/96 Tweezer - I used to have a great vid of it on VHS and must've watched that Tweezer 100 times.

listening to it as I type, probably my fav. of the tour giving 6Aug. a run for best of the year :-)

mattstick

What a great fuckin' tour!  More SBDs please!!

susep

Having an FM sourced 31Oct.96 was sick.  In my dorm I used to take my boom box in the shower and crank set II to the disliking of cats on that wing :-D

fozzi19

11-27-96 (Seattle, Key Arena)

This is a sick show with a huge Tweezer, Down with Disease Reprise and a wicked Brady Bunch Theme rap...show was not that packed so it was easy to move around...

Also the Spokane show with the It's Ice to provide a bit of comedy for the insane ice storm that hit eastern Washington..

susep

Quote from: fozzi19 on November 21, 2006, 11:45:34 AM
Also the Spokane show with the It's Ice to provide a bit of comedy for the insane ice storm that hit eastern Washington..

yes, the Jim is solid as well as FEFY.  Maze ignites> Slave is interesting in that Trey sounds more dissonant then average, throughout.

mattstick

Quote from: fozzi19 on November 21, 2006, 11:45:34 AM
11-27-96 (Seattle, Key Arena)

This is a sick show with a huge Tweezer, Down with Disease Reprise and a wicked Brady Bunch Theme rap...show was not that packed so it was easy to move around...

Don't forget the Sweet Emotion jam.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: susep73 on November 21, 2006, 10:28:33 AM
I listened to 8Nov. last night and I like the "woot-woot" jamming. 

There are wonderful moments of rhythmic tension in the 11/8 version that I have a hard time locating in other versions across the ages.  Almost as if Trey and Fish are going in different directions percussively, and are trying rip apart the fabric of the jam.  The peak that gets played at the end shows its head in other versions of the tour (12/4 perhaps), but this one gets nailed whereas the other ones do not (that might perhaps be getting picky, but....).

EDIT: Rhythmic tension as opposed to Melodic, Harmonic, or Dynamic tension which is usually the culprit in Reba's. 

mattstick

How long is that 11/8/96 Simple?  I'd bet it's one of the longest, although I have'nt listened to it in a long time.

gainesvillegreen

Not sure, I don't have the show on the pod at the moment (which is criminal).  It is pretty long though...I think I mentioned it on the Page thread, but he returns the grand piano no less than three times after veering off with his other tones.  The 11/8 Simple is another of my faves from that tour....

fozzi19

Yes the Sweet Emotion jam...awesome...

susep

a fabulous 2 disc Fall '96 retrospective set is in the works for release, only at the 'paug :wink:

edit

susep

"woot-woot"

Try this Fall '96 set 1 compilation to warm up your turkey appetite:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FE25D53163AD5065

zip>mp3

(1:04:05)

01 Rocky Top 2Dec. Phoenix, AZ.
02 + 03 Highway to Hell>DwD 31Oct. Atlanta, GA.
04 2001 6Dec. Las Vegas, NV.
05 Timber 4Dec.96 San Diego, CA.
06 Esther 19Oct. Buffalo, NY.
07 Reba Chill 8Nov. Champaign, IL
08 Trey Banter 25Oct. Hampton, VA.
09 Stash Jam 7Nov. Lexington, KY.
10 Chalk Dust 30Nov. Sacramento, CA.

gainesvillegreen

August

that was my first Esther.
buffalo was a great show.
a

mattstick

You did'nt goto The Clifford Ball august?

Thanks for the mix - I'll listen tommorow on the train.  Not all of us get to sit around and eat turkey all day.   :-D