News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fall '96 open critique

Started by susep, October 25, 2005, 03:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 22, 2006, 05:13:14 PM
Nice, thanks!

:beers:

Quote from: august on November 22, 2006, 05:14:19 PM
that was my first Esther.
buffalo was a great show.
a

Def., the DwD like many from this tour was high energy.

Quote from: mattstick on November 22, 2006, 05:15:55 PM
Thanks for the mix - I'll listen tommorow on the train.  Not all of us get to sit around and eat turkey all day.   :-D

Just the all consuming Americans :wink:

August

Quote from: mattstick on November 22, 2006, 05:15:55 PM
You did'nt goto The Clifford Ball august?

nope.
i had my driver's education final that day.
it paid off, 'cause i drove to Buffalo (and pretty much every show after that...)
a

mattstick

I took a bus to Buffalo, had to leave before the encore to make sure we would catch the last bus back to Toronto.

August

Quote from: mattstick on November 22, 2006, 05:27:44 PM
I took a bus to Buffalo, had to leave before the encore to make sure we would catch the last bus back to Toronto.

werd.
another one of the earlier Fall shows that gets lost in the mix.
a

susep

Quote from: august on November 22, 2006, 05:14:19 PM
that was my first Esther.
buffalo was a great show.
a

forgot to mention, this was the last Esther until 1Aug.98.  A decent drought.

August

Quote from: susep73 on November 22, 2006, 07:54:46 PM
forgot to mention, this was the last Esther until 1Aug.98.  A decent drought.

that was my second!
a

susep

Many sick Mike's on this tour as well.  Gainsville, I like your Simple '96/Ghost '97 comparison/contrast.   :mrgreen:

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: susep73 on November 23, 2006, 09:59:36 AM
Many sick Mike's on this tour as well.  Gainsville, I like your Simple '96/Ghost '97 comparison/contrast.   :mrgreen:

Every once in a while, I get a decent thought into my head  :beers:

Gumbo72203

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 21, 2006, 12:23:12 PM
There are wonderful moments of rhythmic tension in the 11/8 version that I have a hard time locating in other versions across the ages.  Almost as if Trey and Fish are going in different directions percussively, and are trying rip apart the fabric of the jam.  The peak that gets played at the end shows its head in other versions of the tour (12/4 perhaps), but this one gets nailed whereas the other ones do not (that might perhaps be getting picky, but....).

EDIT: Rhythmic tension as opposed to Melodic, Harmonic, or Dynamic tension which is usually the culprit in Reba's. 

you know, funny you should mention that.  I just recently finished another toilet-trip through The Phish Book, and i remember it being noted many times, by Trey and the others, how Trey and Fish were the ones most solidly hooked up together, and that they would go off on excursions together that would usually end up with Mike and Page getting lost...  long rythmic excursions with each other.  But then Fish discovered how to hook up his kick drum with Mike (or vice versa) and then Trey discovered Page, and what ended up happening was 1997.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

susep

Here's the follow-up to Fall '96 set 1(caution, may induce drooling and mild hallucinations).

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=386D4ACF3A15924A

zip>mp3

01 Tube 25Oct. Hampton, VA.
02 Jim Jam 16Nov.
03 Mike's Song 4Dec. San Diego, CA.
04 Jam 13Nov. Minneapolis, MN.
05 Mike's Jam 6Nov. Knoxville, TN.
06 Makisupa Policeman 23Nov. Vancouver, BC.
07 Mike's Jam 15Nov. St. Louis, MO.
08 Tweezer Jam 11Nov. Grand Rapids, MI.
09 Weekapaug 6Dec.

10 Harpua>Wildwood Weed* 6Dec. Las Vegas, NV.
11 We're An American Band 16Nov. Omaha, NE.

* w/ Les Claypool and Larry LaLonde

1:14:55

mattstick

Thanks - I enjoyed the last one.

susep

Quote from: mattstick on November 24, 2006, 12:07:44 PM
Thanks - I enjoyed the last one.

now you can turn on your flat mates or whomever to some peak  :phish: '96 style.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."