News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

String Cheese Incident

Started by AfterMidnight, August 25, 2011, 05:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undermind

Haven't seen them since '99.  Contemplating going to the Orpheum show.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

PIE-GUY

The first few cheese shows I saw were pretty good. This was 98, 99, 2000. By the time they were pretty big the sound had become bland to me. I still like some their jazz excursions for sure. I think Hollingsworth has some talent. I also sometimes like their taste in covers. But then, I like Widespread's taste in covers, and my disdain for them is well known.

My big problem was always with the rhythm section. Bass and drums are too important if you're trying to be any kind of rock band and they never did much for me. That and their attempts at big energy building jams always lacked energy a the end of the day. There's just not enough meat without a real electric guitar.

Oh, and Kang is a cheesedick.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 29, 2011, 11:48:08 PM

Word is he hates Pie too!

I only saw them once that I can recall.  They played a small afternoon event on a Sunday at Greek Week at Hampden-Sydney.  I remember it being somewhat enjoyable under the circumstances of a Sunday afternoon on a lawn with like 50 people. 

I have seen them play with Keller, but that is really a different thing.  When you are a backup band for a 1 man band, I think that sort of says something.  I did enjoy that quite a bit and still spin that CD on occasion.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

rowjimmy

Hicks

I checked out a webcast once, the drummer made me LOL.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on August 30, 2011, 08:54:46 AM

Word is he hates Pie too!

I only saw them once that I can recall.  They played a small afternoon event on a Sunday at Greek Week at Hampden-Sydney.  I remember it being somewhat enjoyable under the circumstances of a Sunday afternoon on a lawn with like 50 people. 

I have seen them play with Keller, but that is really a different thing.  When you are a backup band for a 1 man band, I think that sort of says something.  I did enjoy that quite a bit and still spin that CD on occasion.

I see your point, but MMW backed up Schofield, so it doesn't always hold.

Hollingsworth is a very good player. He has Carpal, though, and I think the later years suffered dramatically because of it. 1999-2001 is there best era imo. I would still go to a show, but I don't download their stuff to listen to anymore like I did 10 years ago.

The drummer is fine.

The bass player is terrible.

Being in Colorado, they have sign posts in their music which those who don't live here may miss. Makes it feel like a "local" band having a conversation with the other natives. They definitely remind me of Colorado so I will always have a soft spot for them. I just may not give too much of a shit regarding what they are doing lately  :wink:
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VDB

My big problem was always with the rhythm section.

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on August 30, 2011, 02:46:57 PM
The drummer is fine.

The bass player is terrible.

Yeah, I always thought Travis was one of the more interesting guys to listen to in that outfit. Moseley, def not. It was always my impression that, as with moe., SCI's bass player is one of the main things that kept jams from breaking form. But, I've never been much more than a casual listener so I could be wrong.

I've seen SCI, I think, twice: once at MPP in 2001 (there was a fair amount of sampling from the jam-band buffet in that first Phish-hiatus summer) and again at Bonnaroo 2004. I still spin selections from the '01 show from time to time, whether out of nostalgia or interest (nice "Jessica" cover).

As for Kang, I get that he seems like he's a crunchy weirdo, and he seems to be the worst offender in the trite-lyrics department, but maybe there was some episode ("incident," if you will) I'm not aware of that has driven much of the contempt directed at him, or maybe it's just the general vibe he gives off. Dunno.

Oh, to bring it slightly back to the original topic -- I would possibly see SCI again if it were very convenient and very affordable. I would go with friends, have some party favors, and probably enjoy myself. Looking at the posted dates, there's nothing within less than 2 hours of me so that's a no-go.
Is this still Wombat?

sMILEy

Electric forest was announced.
June 28th - July 1st
Any one thinking about going??

twatts

<99 = cool
>99 = ghey

I know from experience...  Please trust me...  "Howard!"

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill