News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dinner And A Movie - Halloween Speculation

Started by mistercharlie, October 22, 2020, 01:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Quote from: Marmar on October 30, 2020, 07:41:14 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on October 30, 2020, 05:59:27 AM
Those were filmed by MTV? How have I never seen that video?!?

can't remember if it was MTV or VH1.....but it was one of those two who had a crew there filming.....its pretty obvious when you watch it and compare to the Radio City footage.....same style shots, crowd pans, and general aesthetics...
pretty sure it was mtv. I swear I remember Kurt loader(?) talking about the gig on MTV News and having several clips from the show.
Paug FTMFW!

mattstick

Fuck the MTV footage. 1 cam from the SBD is so good lol

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

gainesvillegreen

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

rowjimmy

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Bobafett

Quote from: mopper_smurf on November 01, 2020, 01:57:17 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 31, 2020, 11:02:29 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on October 31, 2020, 11:01:45 PM
My god that was wonderful to see.

Indeed.

I just watched the remain in light again.   A pivotal performance in phish history and I'm so happy they shared it with us.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

mattstick

It was cool and all, but showing Exile / 2009 would have really been most excellent.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on November 01, 2020, 11:19:51 AM

It was cool and all, but showing Exile / 2009 would have really been most excellent.
Agreed.  It was cool, but I was a little underwhelmed tbh.  I mean, I understand why everyone loves the RIL set, but it's not nearly as high on my list as everyone elses.  I watch the exile set a lot.  The multi-cam fan version is great.  Unfortunately I only have it in a size that makes it watchable on iPad or smaller.  It's killer on the phone lol.

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on November 01, 2020, 11:19:51 AM

It is still is so bizarre to me that they showed the Phish 3D movie in the theaters one time and then never did anything else with it.

Why wouldn't they release it on Blu-Ray with bonus footage from the shows?

Have they forgot it exists or something?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gainesvillegreen

The Exile set is good, I agree, but RIL is basically watching the band school themselves in a different way of playing. It is like watching them in a music class.

Everything in 1997 wouldn't have been possible without that RIL set. Early Europe 1997 was important too, for sure, but this is the set which got them prepared to blow all our minds in 1997 - and there isn't a fan on this board who doesn't get turned on by something in 1997. We all have a top 25 song playlist of 1997. This board is too clever not to. And you Island Tour fans, RIL is the grandparent of all that.

Exile has not made a lasting difference on the way they play, it wasn't definitional. Good show, but not instructional.

Please don't misunderstand. I am not a huge Talking Heads fan, but I am a fan when Phish pushes themselves to become better musicians.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Caravan2001

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 01, 2020, 02:54:06 PM
The Exile set is good, I agree, but RIL is basically watching the band school themselves in a different way of playing. It is like watching them in a music class.

Everything in 1997 wouldn't have been possible without that RIL set. Early Europe 1997 was important too, for sure, but this is the set which got them prepared to blow all our minds in 1997 - and there isn't a fan on this board who doesn't get turned on by something in 1997. We all have a top 25 song playlist of 1997. This board is too clever not to. And you Island Tour fans, RIL is the grandparent of all that.

Exile has not made a lasting difference on the way they play, it wasn't definitional. Good show, but not instructional.

Please don't misunderstand. I am not a huge Talking Heads fan, but I am a fan when Phish pushes themselves to become better musicians.

I would agree with that...but I would also argue the same for the other two sets they played last night, and personally, I enjoyed watching those two more (but also in large part to the production value).  I think I also have a hard time with most of the cover sets because in general, I would almost always prefer the originals and find myself comparing the Phish versions to the originals, and not in a favorable light, save for VU and Little Feat where I feel that the Phishy aspect added to or complimented the original recordings.  The others not so much imo.  I think we can all agree that Wingsuit is the biggest loser here  :-P

mattstick

2010 was pretty bad, the least inspired and interesting of the cover album sets.  I pretty much stopped seeing Phish regularly after that Halloween in Atlantic City.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 01, 2020, 02:54:06 PM

This, because it's when Trey learned that they could peak without guitar solos.  Just groove.  Repetition.  Fishman playing a straight beat for 8 minutes, and Mike playing the same thing too. 

Watch Trey during Crosseyed, I mean fuck haha. 

This was the turning point for the band many of us came to love in 97 - 04.  the old style had grown stale, as impressive as it was.  They were getting older, and dissonant 50 minute Tweezer jams just weren't the thing anymore. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again