News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dinner And a Movie - Episode 35 July 20, 1991 Arrowhead Ranch

Started by mistercharlie, June 27, 2021, 06:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on June 29, 2021, 11:10:26 PM
Quote from: anthrax on June 29, 2021, 11:05:40 PM
what was the deal with that show?  2 openers and 2 full sets and done before dark.  onsite camping.  2 nights.  did they put this on themselves?  never really dug into what this was.  i was getting early phish festy vibes.

I think Arrowhead is a regular venue with other shows/events.

But yeah, does seem strange the show was over before dark.     

ETA: Heres an article with some cool history, apparently Bill Graham and his son were involved. 

https://riverreporter.com/stories/reviving-the-ranch,34200

There were no lights there and likely a noise ordinance that made night shows a no-go.  It was a husband and wife that moved up there from the city and decided to start putting shows on.  The howard stern guy is Ken Atlas, he is the promoter and I guy I used to work with.  He still promotes in Ithaca and actually did the last Gordo show there.  It was a pretty sweet setup.  The camping was only like 100 yard behind the soundboard on this little wooded knoll.  All the camping was pretty much in the trees.  I looked and looked for myself on the little bit I watched but didn't see me.  Not sure where I watched this show from, but I know where i was the second day.  All in all, I think this was a pretty great upgrade from the YT video and the audio was killer.  The playing was great.  I didn't see it all but the Foam was awesome and I watched from Stash on.  I think the next night gets more love but this one is as good imo.  Saw a lot of old friends on the video that I had honestly forgotten about so that was cool.  I was in there somewhere lol.  But nope, no feisty, just another tour stop.  Spin Doctors and Radiators were actually cool opening acts this weekend, typically I am annoyed by openers and not a Spin Doctors guy, but....And Spin Doctors were actually pretty great in the formative years but then they just never progressed, same as BT.

rowjimmy

khalpin

Thanks for the background details, Todd.  And I concur about the audio.  The sound on that DaaM was pretty fantastic.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 30, 2021, 08:26:07 AM
Speaking of the Spin Doctors, Chris Barron tweeted this the other day:
https://twitter.com/thechrisbarron/status/1408982896409518083

That's funny - I knew one kid in college who was at the Arrowhead shows and he loved to tell the story of seeing Chris Barron at the beer tent DURING the Spin Doctors' set and being like... "Dude. WTF is wrong with you? Get back on stage and finish your set."

Response: "OH SHIT! You're right."

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 30, 2021, 09:49:55 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 30, 2021, 08:26:07 AM
Speaking of the Spin Doctors, Chris Barron tweeted this the other day:
https://twitter.com/thechrisbarron/status/1408982896409518083

That's funny - I knew one kid in college who was at the Arrowhead shows and he loved to tell the story of seeing Chris Barron at the beer tent DURING the Spin Doctors' set and being like... "Dude. WTF is wrong with you? Get back on stage and finish your set."

Response: "OH SHIT! You're right."

OMG
Amazing

mistercharlie

So this kinda looks identical to the existing footage we have of this show, just with upgraded sound.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 30, 2021, 01:08:06 PM
So this kinda looks identical to the existing footage we have of this show, just with upgraded sound.

Yep - I've had this on DVD for 20 years at this point. Still, fun to watch and sound is definitely an upgrade.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul