News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Are you a Phish Ninja?

Started by UncleEbinezer, June 08, 2009, 10:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleEbinezer

Are you a Phish Ninja?

Do you have a job or some reason where you may not fully disclose your love and in most of our cases addiction to Phish? 

I started at a job in September and I have not really told anyone that I have this addiction to Phish.  Mostly because I do not want to be labeled as some hippie Phish kid at my place of work.  I was just curious of any similar situations with work or other reasons why you may not be very "public" about touring and listening to Phish.

I am a Phish Ninja.  I am not sure if I am proud of it, but either way, I get to see Phish and I am happy its back in our lives.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mopper_smurf

"Hi, my name is mopper_smurf and I am a fully qualified :phish: ninja."
"Hello, mopper_smurf."

I feel so much better now  :-D
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

alcoholandcoffeebeans

i'm totally out in the open about it at work.

customers grab me just to ask about setlists from a few nights ago when i'm there or to tell me they got tickets to this or that show....

apparently i'm know as the southern girl who says funny words and is a hippie kid  :roll:
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

PIE-GUY

I was for the first part of my career, for sure. I used to shave my beard for job interviews and important meetings, etc. Now that I'm 10+ years into the career, I don't feel the need. I have proven myself. I have meetings regularly with CxO level people both internally and with my customers and I haven't shaved the beard in 3 years. My screen saver lately has been from Hampton and everyone knows I'm off to roo this week.

I am fully out of the Phish closet at this point. If anybody questions it around here, I can usually point to their UT football season tickets and call them the kettle, if you know what I mean.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

keeb333

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on June 08, 2009, 10:40:09 AM
Are you a Phish Ninja?

Do you have a job or some reason where you may not fully disclose your love and in most of our cases addiction to Phish? 

I started at a job in September and I have not really told anyone that I have this addiction to Phish.  Mostly because I do not want to be labeled as some hippie Phish kid at my place of work.  I was just curious of any similar situations with work or other reasons why you may not be very "public" about touring and listening to Phish.

I am a Phish Ninja.  I am not sure if I am proud of it, but either way, I get to see Phish and I am happy its back in our lives.

No.  The people I work with know and accept that I am weird like that.  Hell, much of the office knows I'm going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow, essentially just to see Phish! 

I guess my work performance must make up for my eccentricity because they haven't made me cut my hair, and are sending me to lawschool this fall!  :banana:

At any rate...I have to finish a response before I leave, so back to work!

willsteele

I don't tell anyone at work hardly anything personal, especially musical tastes, because...

1.  They wouldn't get it.
2.  I don't want to have that type of conversation with anyone at work.  Work convo only is the way I like it...and I don't even really like that.
3.  They wouldn't get it.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

Hicks

I used to be big time when I worked at a hipster record store.

These days I don't care who knows so much.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Rift

Never have been, never will be. I wear my Phish stripes proudly. 

I used to hate the stupid "oh, so you're a hippie" crap but it only shows that ignorance comes in all sizes.   :wink:
Quote from: flow00Let's enjoy the tunes. The boys are back and that's what matters. 8)

mattstick

I keep it lowpro, only so they don't figure out what I'm doing when I'm burning 10x as many DVDs as I should be, or calling in sick the day after SPAC shows, etc.

gah

Ha ha, well, I don't hide it at all. And everyone knows when I take time off or schedule to come in late in the mornings it is Phish/concerts related.

BUT I do have to admit to a recent, one and only time, it has come up, and uncleebinzer was witness to this. We got up at 4 am to catch a flight back from Boston, got to the airport, looking a hot mess, eyes all red and puffy (from allergies-place we were staying had cats) and of course, they pull me aside for a screening. And I've been screened before, metal detector thing, zip, zap, done and on my way. But no, this time, they pull me aside, and two people go through my stuff and start interrogating me, where you going, how long were you here? what do you do for a living? going through my wallet and stuff, and what were you doing here? just came for a concert. where? Fenway? Who was it? Hmmmm, looking down (realize they're going to spot my ticket which was in my wallet for some reason) mumble, phish. Really? (start going through my stuff even more thoroughly) did you have fun? Yeah. Hmmm, didn't get much sleep huh? No, and the whole time I'm trying to run through my head, make sure there isn't anything in my bag and, oh wait, did I smoke that last j I had hidden in my wallet? Luckily, I must have, and all ended well.

BUT still, thats the one time I was a little hesitant to admit my phanness, because it was automatic suspicion....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

noodle

I'll go with pie-guy and say I was more so in the beginning, when I first started working for the company i have been with for the past seven years. 3rd generation family ran business. This family also happens to be Apostolic Christians. It just now hit the third generation and they are way more liberal and only two of the members remain in the church. One boss was even quoted in the newspaper the other year, when the Bears were on the Super Bowl run, as saying "man, this is what god made Sundays for. Wings, beer, and football". It's all good. They still don't quite get the fact that I need the next two weeks off to go to NC, TN, MO, PA, IN, and WI to follow some band. I guess a lot of people would find that hard to "fathom" though. No longer a  :phish: Ninja, more of a  :phish: converter nowadays.

PIE-GUY

I remember when I went on tour in 95 and my told my grandparents i was selling t-shirts on Phish tour, they assumed I knew the band and was helping out at the merch table or something.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

khalpin

I happened to go to 3 shows within the first 2 months of starting my first job and hence got the nickname Phish because of that.  That was almost 14 years ago.

JPhishman

I earned my nickname Jerry Phishman on the job fighting fires back in '06. At my current job with a solar energy contractor they know I'm takin a week off for some Phish and probably can't help but notice that both of my desktops have turned to Phish lights and the music is up a few notches from a month ago.... I tried to play it off for a while but I am so integral to the operation here now that there's no reason to shy away from it. Most people, if they aren't into touring, can't comprehend traveling STL to PA to IN to WI to MN in a week...... but might as well let em know whats up. Everyone around here understandthe most important thing: find what makes you happy and run with it!  :phish:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

xanadux3

I work for a bunch of deadheads, so I dont really have to hide anything. They might not "get" Phish but they "get" going on tour. So asking for time off this summer was not a problem. they were happy that I have something to look forward to that Im so excited about!
and shocked and persuaded my soul to ignite