News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2019-08-31 Dick's - Denver, CO - Post-Show Discussion

Started by anthrax, September 03, 2019, 05:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

DICK'S SPORTING GOODS PARK
Commerce City, CO
Soundcheck: Sightless Escape

SET 1: The Moma Dance > The Final Hurrah, Gumbo, Access Me, Funky Bitch, Ghost > Tube > Mountains in the Mist, Drift While You're Sleeping

SET 2: Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove[1] -> 46 Days[2] > Set Your Soul Free > Down with Disease[1] -> NICU > Bug > The Wedge, Slave to the Traffic Light

ENCORE: Brian and Robert > Character Zero

[1] Unfinished.
[2] Lyric changed to "Taste the fear, for the plague is drawing near."

Hicks

This first set gets my vote for best set of the weekend; Access Me bustout, sweet Weekapaug-like jam in Tube, a freaky deaky Ghost and the straight up most gorgeous Mountains I've ever heard. Drift While You're Sleeping works well in the first set closer slot too.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on September 03, 2019, 11:15:11 PM
This first set gets my vote for best set of the weekend; Access Me bustout, sweet Weekapaug-like jam in Tube, a freaky deaky Ghost and the straight up most gorgeous Mountains I've ever heard. Drift While You're Sleeping works well in the first set closer slot too.

Yeah, I thought it was a great show all around.  Loved Access Me.  Lot's of good stuff.  Was kinda bummed on the Zero but it was a good version, just not Good Times Bad Times/Highway to Hell/Fire good.  Great Brian and Robert though, one of the best I have seen. I need to listen to the Mist, I don't even remember it but everyone was talking about it.  I might have been in the bathroom lol.

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 04, 2019, 12:54:09 AM
Quote from: Hicks on September 03, 2019, 11:15:11 PM

Yeah, I thought it was a great show all around.  Loved Access Me.  Lot's of good stuff.  Was kinda bummed on the Zero but it was a good version, just not Good Times Bad Times/Highway to Hell/Fire good.  Great Brian and Robert though, one of the best I have seen. I need to listen to the Mist, I don't even remember it but everyone was talking about it.  I might have been in the bathroom lol.

Don't sleep on the MITM, my eyes might have gotten a little sweaty watching the stream.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Just listened to this first set for the first time (other than the Ghost). This is good Phish. It doesn't blow me away through the first few songs but I enjoyed them. Access Me is a treat you didn't know you wanted. Funky Bitch was fine and not bad then... damn.
That Ghost is awesome. Mike is doing stuff to my brain early on in the jam which isn't quite micro but also not macro. It feels longer than it is because they reveal the illusion that is timekeeping. Okay that's bullshit but it does mature rapidly and I could use a lot more of it. Fortunately, they go right deep in Tube. Again, not particularly extended but... excellent jamming.
Drift serves as an excellent set closer imo.

anthrax

i thought this show was the best of the three. 

crazy story.  we were on the floor pretty close up mike side.  it was a bit hot, a bit crowded, and we were doing some partying beforehand.  my sister was there.  she's a total noob, but she's learning.  to her credit those lights were super intense and it was loud as hell!  anyway, at the beginning of drift while your sleeping, she started acting oddly.  saying weird shit making weird motions.  i put my arm around her to ask her if she was ok, and she completely passed out.  her legs buckled underneath her and i caught her and slowly guided her to the ground. 

out of nowhere a fan runs over to us and says he's a doctor.  at this point, my sister is completely out cold.  he lays her flat on the ground (stretched out), which is no easy feat close up on a phish floor, and brings her back.  he's doing all sorts of checks, raises her legs, gives her water, etc.  i'm watching him, but letting him do his thing, since i have no idea what the hell to do. 

after a few minutes, he tells me that the medics are going to walk her off the floor.  i still have no idea how he contacted medics!  so 2 people in red jackets roll up, prop her up, (she's awake but a bit groggy), and walk us off the floor.  people are giving us our space, so we're off the floor pretty quickly.  they walk us to the east side of the stage and we walk into the vip/all access are.  then they walk us all the way along the back of the stage!  (the medic tent was on the other side.)  so my brother in law and i start walking very very slowly.  i'm looking at fishman play the drums from basically the stair that lead up to the back corner of the stage...we were backstage at phish!  it was very surreal.

when we get to the medic tent, which is also backstage, my sister was totally fine.  they're giving her Gatorade, making her sit down and relax, she's totally coherent.  so my brother in law and i are just hanging out backstage outside the tent.  we start slowly wandering towards the back of the stage.  we can see all of the dicks audience and the roar of the end of the set.  we can't believe they are letting us there.  i mean there's no one backstage besides crew.  then the band comes offstage and starts walking directly towards us!  all 4 of them were right there!  they were being guided by a few people and we didn't want to look out of place, so we didn't yell or anything.  we just took it all in.  it was the coolest! 

they released my sis a few minutes later, gave us all water, and let us use a private vip bathroom.  then we headed back to the floor.

best set break ever!

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

cactusfan

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

anthrax

mbw

Quote from: anthrax on September 04, 2019, 04:53:30 PM
she started acting oddly.  saying weird shit making weird motions.  i put my arm around her to ask her if she was ok, and she completely passed out.  her legs buckled underneath her and i caught her and slowly guided her to the ground. 

crazy.  never heard of that happening.  to me or anyone else!

kellerb

Quote from: mbw on September 04, 2019, 10:21:45 PM
she started acting oddly.  saying weird shit making weird motions.  i put my arm around her to ask her if she was ok, and she completely passed out.  her legs buckled underneath her and i caught her and slowly guided her to the ground. 

Certainly not.

VDB

So your little ruse succeeded, eh? Nice work all around.

Glad everyone's alive!
Is this still Wombat?

anthrax

Quote from: kellerb on September 05, 2019, 07:39:27 AM

Certainly not.

I heard it only happens to total noobs

kellerb

Quote from: anthrax on September 05, 2019, 11:30:44 AM
Quote from: kellerb on September 05, 2019, 07:39:27 AM

Certainly not.

I heard it only happens to total noobs
Probably