News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Trey - Lonely Trip

Started by shoreline99, July 30, 2020, 10:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

Wow! New Trey album drop tomorrow

Lonely Trip was conceived and recorded in isolation at my home studio (aka Rubber Jungle) during the peak of New York City’s COVID-19 crisis, March – July, 2020. When the lockdown began, I had by chance just completed a weekend songwriting session with my friends and longtime collaborators Tom Marshall and Scott Herman. That session took place March 13th and 14th just as the crisis was beginning in New York, so the themes of fear and isolation were already finding their way into those first songs. By the time I arrived home, the situation in NYC had gotten much worse.

Knowing I wasn’t going to be leaving my apartment for a while, I started working. It felt therapeutic to write. I wanted to connect with our community in some way. The unplanned nature of the recording meant I didn’t have a lot of gear during this process. I had an electric and an acoustic guitar, a small amp, two microphones, some percussion, and two keyboards, including an old Kurzweil with very realistic drum sounds on it. Everything was recorded through a Spire 8-track. Lonely Trip is truly a raw, low-fi recording.

The process of writing songs became a reflective and healing experience. Being able to share these songs instantly with our community via Instagram felt equally profound. It harkened back to my youth, before there was a Phish, when I would write songs and home-record them specifically with the intention of sharing them with my circle of friends via cassette four-track recordings.

As the weeks went by, I worked on improving my recording techniques. I called recording engineers including Ben Collette and Vance Powell to get tips on microphone placement, and I purchased a bass guitar online. I also started tapping into a Dropbox folder with about 30 four-minute drum sequences that I had recorded with Jon Fishman over the last year.

For the previous few Phish albums (including Kasvot Vaxt and Sigma Oasis), I had been experimenting with writing songs, starting with drum beats that I had sung into my phone. Fish and I would go into the studio and record the beats exactly as I had sung them, with Fish launching off in his unique way after a minute or two. I used these beats as building blocks to many of the songs on Lonely Trip, and it explains how I could do a whole album in Rubber Jungle with such good sounding drums. Thank you Fish!

The album was ultimately mixed by my friend Bryce Goggin, and as always, Bryce’s mixes sound incredible. Thank you Bryce!

Lonely Trip was my message in a bottle during this time, and I wish I knew how to properly thank all of you in our community for listening and responding. It meant so much to me. Thank you. Wishing all of you much love and safety during this turbulent time.

This album is dedicated to the heroism of our healthcare and essential workers.

— Trey

Lonely Trip will be available tomorrow, July 31, on all digital platforms: linktr.ee/TreyAnastasio

ETA Tracklist:

Shaking Someone’s Outstretched Hand
A Wave of Hope
I Never Left Home
Lost in the Pack
If I Could See the World
The Greater Good
When the Words Go Away
Lotus
I Never Needed You Like This Before
The Silver Light
Are You There Colleen
...And Flew Away
Till We Meet Again
Evolve
Lonely Trip
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

The video he posted for "...And Flew Away" yesterday is very Peter Gabriel-esque!

I look forward to (dad)Rocking-out to this one!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

GBL

Trey giving QAnon hand signs in the Flew Away "music video"

:shakehead:
If this is love, I'm never going home..

rowjimmy

Seems like this belongs here:

anthrax

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Superfreakie

Thanks but no thanks......

also, really glad I did not have children if this is the metamorphosis one goes through.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Hicks

Can't wait to hate listen to this!

Will it top Traveler for worst Trey album ever? Seems pretty likely!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

I'm into it.
Surprising at how readily you guys write things off.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 30, 2020, 04:05:53 PM
I'm into it.

It's definitely dad rock, but I've enjoyed Trey's Quarentunes. Every day when he posted a new video I watched it at least twice. Some of the songs are pretty catchy, some are a bit sloshy.

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 30, 2020, 04:05:53 PM
I'm into it.

ETA: That's just me and can see why folks might criticize.  I really enjoy a lot of it but I did find myself fading on a lot of tracks ie: I don't think I watched the majority all the way through.  But stoked to give the thing a listen as a whole.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 30, 2020, 01:46:03 PM
Thanks but no thanks......

also, really glad I did not have children if this is the metamorphosis one goes through.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
And ouch, I had to turn that awkwardness off.
I'll give the album a listen but those videos should be buried in the depths of the sea (sounds like a Trey lyric).
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

In retrospect Shine was a better album than the consensus at the time.

But has he done anything objectively good since as a solo artist?

Like if you heard it and it was some unknown guy you'd take notice?

Be honest with yourself, I think you know the answer. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.