News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/16 - UIC Pavilion - Chicago, IL - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Mr Minor, August 17, 2011, 01:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

Quote from: jedifunk on August 17, 2011, 09:41:55 AM
this looks like another quality show.  can't wait to give a listen.  finally the 2nd sets are stretching out a little, and there are few songs.

Yeah, I think the band has made a huge breakthrough this month, truthfully.

Check out the video for the Stash from Tahoe.  I mean, my god.... the start of that jam...  is it '94 again?  Where the hell did that space come from?  Well... we all know the answer is Mike, but...  haha, Trey allowed it to become.  The open-ness was closed off after a minute or so, but god damn if that minute or two of levity at the start of the jam wasn't totally cosmic. 

Anyway, I think its interesting the way they've structured these sets, song-title-wise.  The 2nd set and encore here is like a prophetic tale or something....  with a back-tracking rewind, finished off by a triumphant rebirth, metaphorically, about the band, but with a hard road ahead.  Kind of like the first LOTR movie.

Or as Trey is trying to say:

Our addictions tore us apart, and the band down with disease, causing us to twist and regress backwards down the number line, and we eventually sputtered into nothingness.  Then, we came back, and all of these shows have been own theme from the bottom, leading us all into another golden age, where everyone is healthy and functioning and we are stable.  Because of this, each night we are able to the central figures in another glorious finale to a day in the life you enjoy.  However, you seem to think that things have fallen down on me, and that I am a slave to the traffic light, unable to go when the light is green and the jam potential is glaring me in the face.  We are on top of the world together, but things are rocky...
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

McGrupp

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 17, 2011, 10:24:48 AM
this looks like another quality show.  can't wait to give a listen.  finally the 2nd sets are stretching out a little, and there are few songs.

Check out the video for the Stash from Tahoe.  I mean, my god.... the start of that jam...  is it '94 again?  Where the hell did that space come from?  Well... we all know the answer is Mike, but...  haha, Trey allowed it to become.  The open-ness was closed off after a minute or so, but god damn if that minute or two of levity at the start of the jam wasn't totally cosmic. 

Anyway, I think its interesting the way they've structured these sets, song-title-wise.  The 2nd set and encore here is like a prophetic tale or something....  with a back-tracking rewind, finished off by a triumphant rebirth, metaphorically, about the band, but with a hard road ahead.  Kind of like the first LOTR movie.

Our addictions tore us apart, and the band down with disease, causing us to twist and regress backwards down the number line, and we eventually sputtered into nothingness.  Then, we came back, and all of these shows have been own theme from the bottom, leading us all into another golden age, where everyone is healthy and functioning and we are stable.  Because of this, each night we are able to the central figures in another glorious finale to a day in the life you enjoy.  However, you seem to think that things have fallen down on me, and that I am a slave to the traffic light, unable to go when the light is green and the jam potential is glaring me in the face.  We are on top of the world together, but things are rocky...

English major?
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

PhishPhan

jephrey

Anyone else go se family groove company at The Mid aftershow?  It was pretty cool. They'll be playing shoefest in about a month. Shoefest-check It out. My buds band old shoe is putting it on. I got a tip that fish might be there but alas it was just a good show.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Tomapella

Quote from: McGrupp on August 17, 2011, 12:31:28 PM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 17, 2011, 10:24:48 AM

English major?

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Haven't heard the show in its entirety yet, but from what I heard of the stream it was another really good one.  I agree with Gumbo on the breakthrough sentiment, hope the energy carries through to tonight!

Gumbo72203

Many songs left.......

Ghost, Fee, Drowned, McGrupp, Split, Gin, Bowie, Antelope, Simple, Seven Below, Scents, Jibboo....

I think Set 2 will go something like:    Mike's Song > Gotta Jibboo > Drowned -> Saw It Again > David Bowie, Simple -> Piper > Makisupa > Lizards

Encore:  Esther > Weekapaug Groove

wildcards:  Mango, Ghost, Scents, Split, Seven Below

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

GBL

Quote from: jephrey on August 17, 2011, 01:02:23 PM
Anyone else go se family groove company at The Mid aftershow?  It was pretty cool. They'll be playing shoefest in about a month. Shoefest-check It out. My buds band old shoe is putting it on. I got a tip that fish might be there but alas it was just a good show.

I was there last night and that band sucked balls, really, really hard..
If this is love, I'm never going home..

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: GBL on August 17, 2011, 03:10:39 PM

Does that mean they were really good or really bad? Does this assessment come down to whether one likes to have their balls sucked really hard?
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

WhatstheUse?

Dug the show last night and had tons of fun. The LxL may be my personal highlight cuz i LOVE. That song and it seemed like the did a little something different with it than ur average 3.0version.

Thought the first night was better.  Can't wait for tonight!
Bring in the dude!

gah

Quote from: GBL on August 17, 2011, 03:10:39 PM

Oh man, don't say that. My friend Janis plays Bass in FGC. The Fish rumor was probably because she played with him in Everyone Orchestra one year at Bear Creek. Sorry you didn't dig it though GBL.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

WhatstheUse?

I was there too, kinda thought they sucked balls  :|

Was about a trillion times better than the frat boy bar we were at first though!
Bring in the dude!

emay

Tonight is gonna rage!!

This first set was awesome, and the DWD.

jephrey

Never liked the lead singers voice in fgc but I dig the tunes. Janis is cool as hell. She played sand with old shoe at their cd release at the warehouse a few weeks back. Btw if you ever get to go there, the owner mike is a cool dude. It's a totally private bar which kicks ass. He brews and has many beers on tap.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

Gumbo72203

Disease!!!!!   WHAMMY LOOPS!!!!!!!

The ending to this thing is monstrous!!!   I'm stuck with a video for now, but did they put delay on Mike's foot-bell? 

the end of this is so sick, though...  Page's synth pushing the swell upwards, and Fish flows in with the cymbals, and Trey's WHAMMY LOOPS!!!!!!!

if they can figure out how to make this danceable....  instead of a giant space wash...  holy ball-sack.  And the patiently Page-caressed synthway into Twist....

for all the derision rightfully labeled on MOST of the material of the run, this makes me think of the glorious beginning to the Vegas '04 Twist.  That thing starts off *so* cool and slick...  sly, confident, and laid back.  OMG I love this!!!  They're like...  jamming the start!!!!  Page piano all over the first pre-chorus!!!  Oh man, this Twist jam!!!  holy wtf!!!

this is so fucking cool guys!!!