News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

"Maybe We're The Visitors" - New Page Album!!

Started by mistercharlie, April 06, 2021, 11:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

https://pagemcconnell.com/maybe-were-the-visitors-announced/

QuotePage will release his new solo album, MAYBE WE?RE THE VISITORS, arriving digitally via Keyed Records this Friday, April 9. MAYBE WE?RE THE VISITORS was written and recorded in Reykjavik, Iceland and in Burlington, VT. The release is preceded by today?s premiere of the album?s first song, ?Radio Silence,? which David Fricke called in his album notes ?an overture of slowly dawning arpeggios that dot the void like hopeful transmissions.? Watch visualizer below.

The paragraphs below are more excerpts from Fricke?s album notes:

In January 2020, shortly before the coronavirus shut down modern life, including travel, McConnell took a road trip that had nothing to do with his normal touring itinerary as the keyboard player in Phish: a holiday in Iceland. Inevitably, music got made there. But it was unlike anything McConnell had recorded before as a solo artist, for side projects or within the collaborative energies of Phish: fully electronic pieces created on location, in response to the epic landscapes, dramatic weather, and geologic fury that he experienced in Iceland. He also came back energized and determined to keep going amid, indeed despite, lockdown.

MAYBE WE?RE THE VISITORS is the result: an imaginary voyage charged with eyewitness awe and intense, solitary reflection; expressed without lyrics, vocals or any sign of piano, organ or clavinet, McConnell?s signature armory with Phish. The album is his third solo outing ? following 2007?s song-based Page McConnell and a 2013 instrumental release, Unsung Cities and Movies Never Made ? and a genuine breakthrough: the first McConnell has conceived and performed entirely with synthesizers. Maybe We?re the Visitors is also the most personal record he has ever made because it is an album that has been on his mind for a long time.

The narrative flow of MAYBE WE?RE THE VISITORS ? exploration, colony and, finally warning; that, as Icelanders already know, we are only stewards here and nature always has the last word ? did not present itself ?until I was close to the end,? McConnell confesses. ?But I always knew there was something alien about these pieces??

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

emay

rowjimmy

Hicks

Page is down, so to speak.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Hopefully they are adding a vinyl pre-order, psyched, big fan of Unsung Cities. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on April 06, 2021, 11:54:34 AM

Agreed.
Love Unsung Cities over here as well.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 06, 2021, 01:15:01 PM
Quote from: Hicks on April 06, 2021, 11:54:34 AM

Agreed.
Love Unsung Cities over here as well.

I can even get the wife to listen to Unsung Cities ... Once she's had a few drinks!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Caravan2001

VDB

Page is always the avant-garde one and I love it.
Is this still Wombat?

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

tet

yeah i'm in the right mindset for an album like this right now - very excited!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mistercharlie

I put the video on repeat last night during 'Tea Time', aka the hour before bed where we drink tea, read our books and listen to classical music. Dagny said it made good music for Tea Time. I hope the whole album is like this so I can listen to Page every night!

Hicks

Hoping some of the other tracks have beats, but I?m down for an ambient album too. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: Hicks on April 07, 2021, 12:51:57 PM
Hoping some of the other tracks have beats, but I?m down for an ambient album too.

I like where your head is at.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

mistercharlie

I just listened to the whole album during tea time with the wife. She didn't notice or say a thing. This is great relaxing and reading music.

GBL

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 09, 2021, 08:45:05 PM
I just listened to the whole album during tea time with the wife. She didn't notice or say a thing. This is great relaxing and reading music.

Not a ringing endorsement
If this is love, I'm never going home..