News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rank All the Halloween Second Sets

Started by Hicks, November 05, 2020, 10:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Spin off thread from anthrax's, rank all the Halloween second sets.

Here's mine with the exception of Chilling, Thrilling, because, well, I just can't rank that one.   

Loaded
Remain in Light
Exile
Kasvot
Ziggy
White Album
WFC
Quadrophenia

Wingsuit
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

RIL
Loaded
Exile
Kasvot
Thrilling Chilling
White Album
WFC
Ziggy
Quadrophenia

\/
Wingsuit
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

Thrilling Chilling
Loaded
White Album
Kasvot
Exile
Quadrophenia
Ziggy
WFC
Remain in Light
Wingsuit

hopefully, this was the most difficult thing i will have to do today.  really tough...i wanted to have like 3 ties.  i hate that wfc is so far down the list, as i love it...but all the others are soooo good.

Buffalo Budd

White Album
Remain in Light
Exile
Loaded
Thrilling Chilling
WFC
Ziggy
Quadrophenia
Wingsuit
Kasvot

I know I'll get flack for the last one but while the concept had me totally floored (fake website and everything), the music just didn't (and still doesn't) do it for me.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on November 06, 2020, 03:16:09 PM
White Album
Remain in Light
Exile
Loaded
Thrilling Chilling
WFC
Ziggy
Quadrophenia
Wingsuit
Kasvot

I know I'll get flack for the last one but while the concept had me totally floored (fake website and everything), the music just didn't (and still doesn't) do it for me.

Wingsuit over Kasvot?

I guess the songs themselves are subjective, although I don't think Fuego has anything as good as SANTOS, Turtle or DDHVL, but the production involved with Kasvot makes it so much better than Wingsuit. 

They really went all in for that concept with the outfits, white instruments, special lights and even the goofy dance moves. Such a better and more realized execution than Wingsuit. 

Although I am somewhat surprised to see that Mr C and anthrax generally agreed with my placement as KV tends to be pretty polarizing. 

ETA: Although I will admit that the Abe Vigoda gag was hilarious. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

natronzero

Remain in Light
Kasvot Vaxt
Loaded
White Album
Thrilling Chilling
Ziggy Stardust
Exile
Quadrophenia
Wingsuit
Waiting for Columbus

I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

Caravan2001

Thrilling Chilling
White Album
Loaded
Exile
Quadrophenia
Kasvot
Remain in Light
WFC
Ziggy
Wingsuit

Hate that Bowie is so far down on the list. Might be because it was the only one I was not in attendance for?  I do think it was well executed for the most part, and I love the album. Kasvot should be higher too, I love all the songs, but in the moment not as much, it was a lot to wrap my head around and took me several listens to warm up to it.  This was so tough, I love them all.  To me, Thrilling Chilling just checks all of the boxes for what I want out of a Halloween set, so big gap after that one and huge gap after Ziggy.  Wingsuit was a misstep, to put it nicely.

Caravan2001

Also, to echo what someone else said (Budd?) I am really happy the last Halloween DAAM has spurred some solid back and forth and differing, yet all valid, opinions.  Nice to see some action on the board.

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 06, 2020, 05:14:39 PM
Also, to echo what someone else said (Budd?) I am really happy the last Halloween DAAM has spurred some solid back and forth and differing, yet all valid, opinions.  Nice to see some action on the board.

Surprised you would rank the White Album so highly, it definitely has some moments like WMGGW and Blackbird, but a lot of the songs feel a little like they are just getting through them.

nab

Based solely on what I return to the most:

Chilling Thrilling
Kasvat
Loaded
Remain in Light
Ziggy
Quadrophenia
Exile
Wing
WFC
White Album

These things change all the time, but Chilling Thrilling is a cult classic/reviled tradition at our house on Halloween, depending on which member you ask.

cactusfan

Loaded
Chilling Thrilling
Remain in Light
Exile
Kasvot
Ziggy

The rest I find equally uninteresting. Very surprised to see the White Album so high on lists. Must have been amazing to attend, but they barely play most of those songs.

PIE-GUY

Loaded
Remain in Light
White Album
Kasvot
Exile
Thrilling
Bowie
WFC
Quadrophenia
Wingsuit

Attended: Quadrophenia, Loaded, Exile, WFC, Thrilling, Bowie, and Kasvot - don't think I really have attendance bias. Had an absolute blast at Quadrophenia but it gets very little replay for me. I can see why some rank White Album so low, but I disagree. I listen to it a lot. I actually love Phish's take on it. So many highlights.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on November 06, 2020, 08:44:23 PM

Surprised you would rank the White Album so highly, it definitely has some moments like WMGGW and Blackbird, but a lot of the songs feel a little like they are just getting through them.

Yeah, maybe it's more weighted in historical significance than execution.  Some of it is just passable.  But, it's near impossible to pull that stuff off in live setting.  Even though Fab Faux make it sound just like the album, so.....

ETA: Then fab faux also have a lot more than four people including horns and strings so, for a four piece I think Phish did a pretty solid job.

susep

Remain in Light - still in awe of this set. 

White Album - Like PG mentioned, this one does get tons of play back.  Back in the USSR, Glass Onion, WMGGW, Martha My Dear, Piggies, Sexy Sadie, Savoy Truffle are all highlights. 

Wingsuit - Wingsuit, Fuego, Waiting All Night, Wombat, 555 > Winterqueen, all great tunes.  Also props for discarding the cover idea and bringing new tunes to the table on such a fabled night.   

Loaded - Not a super exploratory set per se, Lonesome Cowboy Bill definitely is a 'ween highlight from any era. 

Ziggy - Soul Love. 

Exile - Some good tunes, I Just Want To See His Face remains a favorite.  Personally Sticky Fingers would have been a better choice.  Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Moonlight Mile would be epic covers for them.     

Kasvot - I really like the ambient intro, Stray Dogs.  A few of the others have grown on me in a GRAB kind of way if that makes sense. 

Thrilling Chilling - loved it at the time, pretty burnt out on those tunes now. 

WFC - All That You Dream, Spanish Moon, and Tripe Face Boogie deserve more listens.   

Quadrophenia - Besides The Real Me and Drowned, I rarely listen to this set. 

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 07, 2020, 01:19:45 PM
Quote from: Hicks on November 06, 2020, 08:44:23 PM

Yeah, maybe it's more weighted in historical significance than execution.  Some of it is just passable.  But, it's near impossible to pull that stuff off in live setting.  Even though Fab Faux make it sound just like the album, so.....

ETA: Then fab faux also have a lot more than four people including horns and strings so, for a four piece I think Phish did a pretty solid job.

Phish would not have put in the kind of practice for this album as the fab faux would, given that's their only catalogue.
I find it fascinating they could pull off all of these songs, even if not perfect, pretty damn well.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.