News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Are you a Phish Ninja?

Started by UncleEbinezer, June 08, 2009, 10:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehead

I've been at my current employer for over 12 years now and those that have been there for a while certainly know that I'm deep into the Dead and Phish..I am now an Assistant Vice President at a Fortune 500 bank but when I first started there I was still driving my piece of shit Isuzu I-Mark (yes, that was a real car) that was plastered w/ stickers from touring (including a huge "Reality Sucks" sticker that had a huge pic of a shroom!  People knew when I was taking time off around specific summer and fall dates..for a while we could wear shorts on the weekends, so out came the Dead tats on the calf  -no big deal.  i don't talk a lot about it at work cuz frankly I'm just too damn busy at work..but most people know and I let them know I'm damn proud of being a head..the director of my office loves the Dead and we probably talk about them 2-3 times during the week..and same as pie-guy, used to keeo the face clean but most of the time but lettin' the beard flow back now..if others don't like Phish or just don't get it - well, that's a "you problem"
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

blatboom

nobody at my work had ever even heard of Phish till I got there.

redrum

Quote from: blatboom on June 08, 2009, 08:41:33 PM
nobody at my work had ever even heard of Phish till I got there.

who's phish?
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

sunrisevt

I teach college freshmen. Once every few years one of them calls me out. Usually in semi-private, but one kid @ UNC asked me in front of the whole class.

I owned it proudly.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

jasonsobel

people at my job know... and I have them put in lottery ticket requests for me :)
sing me back home before I die

Blaise

Complete and utter phish Ninja, maybe even a whole personal life ninja in terms of work.

I try very hard to keep my proffesional and private life seperate. Luckily, no one at my office is my age really. Closest in age is like 6 years older but most people are about 20 years older then me. I don't really socialize at all with my co-workers, not bc I'm trying to be rude/akward but I just keep things simple and polite. If someone asks about my weekend, I just keep to generalities and leave it at that. I don;t even tell people where I go on vacation but if they ask I usually go with camping and or visiting friends.

Furthermore, as far as looks I try to keep it clean shaven (I just let it go a few days each week) but its a relaxed office in terms of attire and I try to not dress up more then others, unless I am wearing a factory uniform they gave me, but otherwise I personally don't even believe in casual days, don't wear shorts unless I'm playing sports, and have never owned a pair of jeans. My hair can cause some issues though but the women I know all love long hair so I have a backwards mullet of sorts. Long on the top and sorta cleaned up on the back/sides. This allows me to put my hair down when I'm out and about but otherwise I pull it back like christian slater 80's haricut where its long but all slicked back.

willsteele

Quote from: Blaise on June 08, 2009, 09:00:28 PM
Complete and utter phish Ninja, maybe even a whole personal life ninja in terms of work.

I try very hard to keep my proffesional and private life seperate. Luckily, no one at my office is my age really. Closest in age is like 6 years older but most people are about 20 years older then me. I don't really socialize at all with my co-workers, not bc I'm trying to be rude/akward but I just keep things simple and polite. If someone asks about my weekend, I just keep to generalities and leave it at that. I don;t even tell people where I go on vacation but if they ask I usually go with camping and or visiting friends.

Nice dude.  I'm the same way.  HA It was 2 months before I had to tell them my wife was pregnant.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

jstepan

the last few years i kept it some what low key... the only peeps that knew of my passion for phish are the ones that have access to one of the company hard drives that house a lot of my phish shows.. :lol:

since oct when they anounced the hampton shows and from the anouncement of the summer tour, i havent been able to hold it back... sooo stoked to see them again.. great feeling!  bonnaroo>alpine + gorge...  :-D

Λ Σ Δ
to Use your head... you have to go out of your mind... Dr Tim Leary

one day we'll figure out the mathematical formula that describes the universe, then, our whole reality will dissolve and a sign will pop up that says 'level two'.

Play_It_Leo

A few of my friends and co-workers and only a few family members know the depth of my  :phish: obsession or the size of my live music collection. I only talk about it with a few clients at work when they are obvious heads or phans. Otherwise, most people I see on a regular basis don't even know phish and have hardly heard of the dead. Sad situation, but in most cases isn't worth the effort to try to educate them.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

thechad

I don't try to hide it, but I work in a supervisory position in a factory so most of the people who work below don't know who they are and all of my superiors vaguely remember that they played on the base here in '96.  I don't go into great detail about my fandom, but that's for the same reason as some others stated, I'm there to work.  I'll chit-chat with and will be friendly with my co-workers but I keep them and my real life separate.  They're not bad people but they and I have absolutely nothing in common other than we work in the same building.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Mr Minor

Quote from: sunrisevt on June 08, 2009, 08:58:05 PM
I teach college freshmen. Once every few years one of them calls me out. Usually in semi-private, but one kid @ UNC asked me in front of the whole class.

I owned it proudly.

At least your students have an idea of the music.  My students don't know much past Lady Gaga (is she real?) and whatever else Hip/Hop or Rap artist is the MTV choice of the week.  I try to turn them on to good music like Clapton, The Beatles, GD (they think it's bad), and Phish (they think it's silly and can't fathom sitting through a long jam) but they don't get it.  Yet.  I tell them to listen to it now so when they get to college they are in the know.

At work, colleagues don't really get  :phish:  so I don't really talk about it at all.  I have my circle of friends to appreciate the music with and that's cool with me.  I do teach a History of Rock and Roll so there are some people who understand my love of music.

McGrupp

Got a  :phish: sticker on my car - makes it kinda hard...
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

shoreline99

nope. not a ninja. it's always on in my office and there's a big ole' 'HOOD' sticker on my car. well, maybe that's ninja.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

inourdr

No ninja here... During my interview my boss asked me "If there was one act you could see in our building who would it be?". Without thinking, I blurted out "Early 70's Dead!". Cats out of the bag at that point, but I got the job.

I wouldn't have been able to fly under the radar for long though, since my car has stickers for SCI, Phish and Jerry, and my North Face fleece has a well worn Phish back on the back.

shoreline99

Quote from: inourdr on June 09, 2009, 02:11:58 PM
No ninja here... During my interview my boss asked me "If there was one act you could see in our building who would it be?". Without thinking, I blurted out "Early 70's Dead!". Cats out of the bag at that point, but I got the job.

I wouldn't have been able to fly under the radar for long though, since my car has stickers for SCI, Phish and Jerry, and my North Face fleece has a well worn Phish back on the back.

I have to laugh, because this reads like an entry for 'stuff white people like' :)

No offense. Seriously. It just struck me as funny.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.