News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Trey at the Beacon Streams

Started by Hicks, September 14, 2020, 08:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

WTU was originally just part of a studio jam, right? Perhaps at the Bearsville studio session in 98 if I'm remembering correctly... I forget....(?)

Crazy that an improvised piece of music can turn into a beloved song/melody, and then get taken a step further and arranged for strings.
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 27, 2020, 08:28:12 PM
WTU was originally just part of a studio jam, right? Perhaps at the Bearsville studio session in 98 if I'm remembering correctly... I forget....(?)

Crazy that an improvised piece of music can turn into a beloved song/melody, and then get taken a step further and arranged for strings.

It was on the Siket Disc - recorded during the same sessions that yielded a bunch of songs for Story of the Ghost.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 28, 2020, 05:13:30 AM

It was on the Siket Disc - recorded during the same sessions that yielded a bunch of songs for Story of the Ghost.

Everybody's right.
Page edited down studio jam sessions into the tracks that make up the Siket Disc.

I was thinking the same this that Scotty writes above while watching last week. This was an improv. Then Page chopped it up and defined it. The band onstage refined it. Now this... It's stunning music that I've considered sharing with my mother who is strictly classical music these days.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 28, 2020, 08:36:09 AM

Everybody's right.
Page edited down studio jam sessions into the tracks that make up the Siket Disc.

I was thinking the same this that Scotty writes above while watching last week. This was an improv. Then Page chopped it up and defined it. The band onstage refined it. Now this... It's stunning music that I've considered sharing with my mother who is strictly classical music these days.

I believe Page made Cars, Trucks, Busses the same way.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 28, 2020, 09:01:52 AM

Everybody's right.

You're gonna have to show your receipts on that one, buddy.

mbw

WTU is the sole phish song my wife likes.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 28, 2020, 09:08:21 AM

Everybody's right.

I remember reading it in either The Pharmers Almanac or The Companion at some point. I can't find it right now, but the gist was: Page was listening to some studio recordings and heard parts he really liked and made note of them. He happened to be passing a Cars, Trucks, Busses sign on the highway as he heard it so that's what he called it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 28, 2020, 01:35:12 PM

Everybody's right.

I remember reading it in either The Pharmers Almanac or The Companion at some point. I can't find it right now, but the gist was: Page was listening to some studio recordings and heard parts he really liked and made note of them. He happened to be passing a Cars, Trucks, Busses sign on the highway as he heard it so that's what he called it.

I'll just wait for the citations on that one.

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 28, 2020, 01:37:53 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on October 28, 2020, 01:35:12 PM

Everybody's right.

I'll just wait for the citations on that one.

Sounds plausible, but funny nonetheless

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 20, 2020, 08:15:06 AM
Quote from: VDB on October 17, 2020, 10:54:12 AM
Sadder than a wall though?

My next question is: who arranged the Jeff Tanski parts? Himself? Random Phish nerd on internet? Holly Bowling?

Don Hart.
Same guy who arranged the strings and the orchestral Trey gigs.

Actually, Don says Tanski is adapting Hart's orchestral arrangements for the piano.

Talented fellow.
Is this still Wombat?

nab

Quote from: mbw on October 28, 2020, 12:10:30 PM
WTU is the sole phish song my wife likes.

Sad way to be man, my wife likes at least two and kinda sees what I get excited about in at least a third or fourth; sometimes.

mistercharlie

From what I'm hearing Chainsaw, J-Ha, and James will be there tonight.

The burning question is "Will Trey play a musical costume tonight?".

Hicks

Not quite on the level of the WTU, but that Guyute was awesome. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Ummm.... the opening of this week's show was amazing.