News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Quote from: Hicks on May 09, 2020, 01:10:06 PM
Enjoyed the new Jerry special, he has a bit more of a physical stage presence than in the past which was surprising, but I thought worked well for the most part.

Some of the bits are really funny, the pop tart bit especially was hilarious.

Insane that he's 65, he looks like he's in his early 50s.

I watched it the other morning. Really good stuff. I loved the "You're always just waiting to get somewhere" bit.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

ytowndan

Quote from: GBL on May 09, 2020, 09:51:08 AM
Quote from: anthrax on May 04, 2020, 06:19:26 PM
Quote from: GBL on May 04, 2020, 05:32:53 PM
Quote from: anthrax on May 04, 2020, 03:48:57 PM
bought a single month of netflix a few days ago.  figured i'd have some time on my hands plus i really wanted to watch ozark season 3.  i really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2.  knocked out season 3 faster than i think i've ever watch any tv series ever.  but i wasn't impressed.  looking forward to checking out other things in this thread.

Go immediately to Too Hot to Handle, you and the Mrs will not thank me later

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Just looked it up.  Theres no freaking way, dude.

I did say you would NOT thank me!

In all seriousness though, I would highly recommend the series 'Dark', it's the best thing ever imo.  Just make sure you do not watch in English, use the subtitles instead

Dark is excellent, and GBL is right, definitely watch it in German with the English subs.  Its third and final season is just a couple months away.  I'm pretty pumped for that. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

GBL

Not Netflix, but The Great on Hulu is great

cactusfan

Quote from: GBL on June 12, 2020, 10:23:27 AM
YES!

Just finished a rewatch of seasons 1 and 2. This show is so nuts. And great.

GBL

I just watched/binged DEVS on Hulu, and it was awesome.  For any fan of Dark, this show is very much a rec.

Deals with the same questions of free will vs determinism, good vs bad, etc., Set in a near-futurish SF.

I thought it could almost be better than Dark!  (Admitted recency bias, notwithstanding)

ytowndan

I really loved this one.  It's really dark and pretty depressing, but it's Charlie Kaufman, so that's to be expected.  I don't know if it tops Synecdoche, New York, but I definitely liked it better than Anomalisa (which I thought was very good).

It's kind of being sold as a horror movie.  The trailer sort of has that vibe, but I think you'll be let down if that's what you're expecting.  It does begin with a popular plot device of the genre, but it quickly becomes Kaufmanesque (the whole first act is basically like watching a dinner party where there's a gas leak, and it only gets weirder from there).
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

pcr3

I guess it has been around awhile, but my wife and I just discovered i'm sorry a month or two ago and loved it.  Apparently, the third season was ready to go but they just got dropped because they film on location and don't use sets.  I'm totally in love with the main character, played by Andrea Savage, and she apparently writes it as well.  Anyhow, just fucking hilarious married with kid(s) humor.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

ph92

Quote from: GBL on June 24, 2020, 08:18:02 AM
I just watched/binged DEVS on Hulu, and it was awesome.  For any fan of Dark, this show is very much a rec.

Deals with the same questions of free will vs determinism, good vs bad, etc., Set in a near-futurish SF.

I thought it could almost be better than Dark!  (Admitted recency bias, notwithstanding)

I just crushed this over the long weekend. Super good! Very interesting And I really dig Nick Offerman in most things, but this is a very different role for him, and he does very well. Of course the nerd in mr loves the tech aspect, no matter how crazy it seems. Also, this shows cinematography and whole asthetic is very beautiful. Highly recommend as well.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

sls.stormyrider

Trial of the Chicago 7

Great movies little scary, given the times
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sls.stormyrider

Borat

must see

On one level it was so wrong - but so funny
on another level is was so right!
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Quote from: sls.stormyrider on November 15, 2020, 01:33:13 PM
Borat

must see

On one level it was so wrong - but so funny
on another level is was so right!

Was talking about this yesterday. I haven't seen the new one but I'm familiar with his work... Basically, if you watch Borat and aren't constantly offended, then you may be the bad guy in the film.

susep

Wish they had included Billy and Mickey, also Fish.  Anyone who is inspired by drummers will love this.  Recommended. 

emay

I dont think theres a hulu thread but the Wu Tang An American saga series on there is pretty good. 
also I think you should leave on Netflix is pretty funny if you're into that type of sketch comedy.