News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Conventions

Started by jephrey, December 21, 2004, 04:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

I know there's conventions for naming out there but I use my own.  I see where the current conventions come from but IMO, they make no sense.  Naming a file with a disc and track number to me is bunk because there are less and less of us that even burn to audio disc.  And if we do, why do we need anything but a suggestion for disc tracking?  I have fit many shows ready for 3 74min discs on 2 80s...  then the filenames make less sense.  Just an fyi on what I do

phyyyymmdd_stt.xxx

I use 1 digit for set and 2 for track.  set 2 track 4 would be 204 and encore would be e04.  This way, the name stays short because theres no dashes or spaces in the date and you get the 4-digit year so they sort properly.  Also, in the text file

Band Name
YYYY-MM-DD
Place, City, State (Province or whatever else applies)

101. set1track1
102. set1track2
201. set2track1
e01. encoretrack1

^Show notes (direct from the HPB for Phish)

Lineage etc that came with the fileset when I got it.

any mods that I do (rejoining faded tracks, fading the first and last track of set 1 and set2+e)

-I only fade the cheering between the last track of set 2 and the encore if it saves me a disc.  Once I get rid of audio discs completely, I won't even do this.

With stuff like this, playing from an archive disc works well and you can identify the show a file was from.  It wouldn't be bad if the song name was in there either but I figure, why there when you can have a text file.

What are your conventions?  Are you satisfied with the current conventions?  What would you like to see in the future?

Oh yeah, all my files are in apple lossless too.  I think mpeg4 is the future of lossless but that's an opinion and in these arenas, probably not a popular one.

-Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

guyforget

I have my routine as well, but it is based around burning audio cds.  I do everything at once, when Im finally ready.  I have alot of disc space and my computers are also wired to the receiver so that I can listen to music from my computer on my stereo.  I burn dvd archives at the same time I burn audio cds, so when the time comes to burn I first check all of the files for errors with shntool, and if there are any I fix them then.  I then take a look to see if I can make a 3 disc show fit to two discs by removing crowd tracks and noise at the beginning and end of the sets.  Youd be amazed how many times the last song of a set has 5 minutes of crowd noise on it that you can cut off to make the show fit on two discs with nothing removed but crowd noise.  Then I burn audio cds, and rename the folders and files.  I usually keep track names the same unless theyre completely illogical, but I change the folder name to include the db.etree shnid for that fileset, and note any changes that I made in the text file.  Im always sure to note which fileset it originally matched in the db so that if I were to ever seed it people would know that it wasnt a re-rip or anything like that.  After audios have been burned and all changes, if any, have been made, I archive to DVD-R and move to an "archived" folder.  Once anything is in that folder it means its been archived and audios have been burned and it can be deleted whenever I need to make space.
-AD_