News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2016-10-31 - MGM Grand Garden Arena - Las Vegas, NV

Started by ytowndan, November 01, 2016, 03:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Hang Onto Yourself was awesome.  I think my fave was Moonage Daydream....

WhatstheUse?

Im a Petrichor fan. I think I liked it even more live w/o the jingle bell vibe. I don't LUV it, but I'm proud of Trey for putting the time into it. It works better than TTE, IMO.

Yes, it still suffers from a lack of a 'peak' section/moment. But... the sections are good. They're musical. Trey f'n nailed everyone of those classical arpeggio sections. Color me impressed.
Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Okay, I listened to the OG album to confirm.

"Hang Onto Yourself" may have been the biggest blue balls I've ever experienced.

I was SOOOOOO ready for that song to take off. It's right there. IT'S BEGGING TO BE JAMMED!!!!!!!

I was crushed when they ended that. What a shame.  That's song's gonna be big someday....I want... I hope..
Bring in the dude!

nab

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 02, 2016, 05:18:01 PM
my 9 year old said "this is the only time I have ever wanted a Phish song to go on longer."  :laugh:

So you've got a 9 year old Phish hater in your house too?

Mine started at 7 after hearing the Thrilling Chilling Sounds set one too many times. 

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: nab on November 03, 2016, 12:26:02 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 02, 2016, 05:18:01 PM
my 9 year old said "this is the only time I have ever wanted a Phish song to go on longer."  :laugh:

So you've got a 9 year old Phish hater in your house too?

Mine started at 7 after hearing the Thrilling Chilling Sounds set one too many times.

Now that one seems to be ok with my 6 yr old. We sat and watched it a day before Halloween.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

cactusfan

Had a great time in vegas, as predicted. Nice to put some faces to (screen)names. Had my wife along, and various friends, and various states of creative brain chemistry, so didn't get to hang out much, alas. Looks like the paug had quite the crew there, though.

So anyway...

About a week ago, as I was playing my acoustic guitar verison of Moonage Daydream like I do, my wife (not a fan, but she's been to a few shows with me, and enjoyed them, more or less) bursts into the room, yells OH MY GOD, scaring me half to death, and announces the epiphany she's just had--"Phish could play Ziggy Stardust for halloween!" She and I both love Bowie and listen to him all the time.

I explain to her that Phish has, perhaps, given up covering albums for halloween, that they very well might play original music of some kind, and that even if they do play an album, Ziggy is almost certainly too obvious and unlikely, especially since they've already been paying their respects to Bowie with the acapella Space Oddity all summer. Finally I point out that the idea of playing Ziggy has been in the forefront of my mind and all my friends' minds since we first saw a halloween show in Vegas in '98.

Head down, put in her place by my expert Phish knowledge, she leaves the room, and I play something other than Bowie on the guitar.

Needless to say, she was rather excited when we got those phishbills. As was I.

I thought the Bowie set was beautiful. I mean, yes, I would have appreciated a little jamming. Moonage Daydream and Hang on to Yourself certainly could have been stretched out Phishily. But so it goes. What they did, they did well. Pretty blown away by Trey's vocal performance on It Ain't Easy and Page's on Lady Stardust. A few of the songs, notably Five Years and Suffragette City, were lacking a certain intensity they could have used, but not so much I didn't love every minute of both.

First set was a party, nothing too out of the box, and not as good as the previous two nights. Third set was better, I liked Sand. But all told, certainly not as strong as the second sets of any of three previous nights.

I saw saturday and sunday nights, thought both were really strong. Haven't listened back to anything yet, but I'm getting there. Was that Disease huge? It felt huge while it was happening, and Birds of a Feather too.

Anyhow. A great long weekend. What with their claims that touring's going to get weirder next year, I'm voting for a weeklong residency at the Fillmore in San Francisco...

WhatstheUse?

The Ziggy set really was well done. I can whine about the lack of jams, but at the end of the day - it's not really about that. I think they did the album justice.

Does anyone know the official time on that set?  :police:
Bring in the dude!

anthrax

I'm thinking moonage daydream will be the first song from the album to show up during the new year's run.

Also, fish must have written Friends after he'd already been practicing Star.

susep

Set II

Five Years - "we had five years..."  trippy Page back ground echo before coming in at 1:29, Mike vocal at 1:48, Fish w/ strings, nice vocal crescendo.  vocals, "we've got 5 years" reflect today.
nice Fish w/ strings outro. 

Soul Love - more Trey on acoustic, Page vocal, soul accompaniment, the arrangement right before Trey jumps on his 'doc at :53 is great.  nice backing vocals behind Trey(instrumentally) and Page(vocals), solo at 2:28 w/ strings and singers is also great.  early highlight.  cheers!

Moonage Daydream - much harsher than the beautiful colors of the preceding #, the strings help release the building dissonance, Hendrix Trey at 3:02, Trey ripping over backing vocals is quite good, Trey really on point and sounding inspired, lots of bends, sustain by Trey, nice high to low and back up movement by Trey.  solid ending.  this one started out weird for me but built to a great peak. 

Starman - nice chorus w/ strings, more nice soloing by Trey w/ strings.  "...let all the children boogie." Taste esque outro w/ horns, slight flub by Trey at 4:59 however could have been a botched passing tone, nice lilting groove.

"you all look so beautiful."

It Ain't Easy - Trey w/ Page, slowed down Frankie Says vibe for the first :40, later Eagles esque, nice funk march between chorus, good soul chorus, nice ending, great 70's soul funk.   

Lady Stardust - "the band was altogether...", solid Mike, Page straining vocally, or the mix makes his vocal sound distant, nice interplay underneath by all, another good tune.  uplifting.  perfect placement in this sequence.

Star - more punk,"Tony went to fight in Belfast." Fishman lives 5 minutes from Belfast, ME.  Great tune for Fish, a rock and roll star.  Grease vibe, nice power bridge, interesting self parody, "just watch me now."

Hang On To Yourself - you can hear eons in Bowie's accent, infectious lilt, Page then Trey shining into a brief solo by Trey, punk rock, nice melodic outro by Trey w/ background vocals, Julius esque, nice blues peaks by Trey, great line here, 2016 Trey at his best. 

Ziggy Stardust - nice crunchy/band bar intro, nice dirty lines by Trey and Mike, "screwed up mind and screwed, up,  hairdo!", solid Fish drumming into Zeppelin esque descending bridge, solid tune, "Ziggy played, guitar."

Suffragette City - nice call and response by Trey and backing vocals, 12 bar Bowie Kill Devil, more solid Trey.

"Thanks everybody."

Rock n Roll Suicide - perfect string placement, poignant Trey vocal, nice string led sequence near 1:57, subtle background vocal chant, trippy tune, "because you're wonderful!"

Totally original cover.  We all know these guys are the champions of cover songs, often superseding the original artist's soundscape.  The background vocals here give the music dark, bluesy, soulful color.  Likewise the strings and their arrangements are sublime.  It was refreshing to hear these guys play new music for them and us.  The Ziggy concept still applies with lots of vocal symmetry with the current paradigm. 
Overall they completely nailed this album and really display their power and maturity, showing a sophisticated restraint.  They didn't jam out tunes however Trey's solos were all on point w/ a few triumphant peaks. The arrangements were simply on point. 
Highlights for me:  Soul Love, Moonage Daydream, It Ain't Easy, Hang On To Yourself, Ziggy Stardust, Rock n Roll Suicide.

emay

Agreed with everything here. Great execution of the album. These guys really did it and sounded like they practiced it!!

Also good to meet you briefly in that Paug section the second night cactusfan!