Register

Author Topic: 2019-02-23 Barcelo Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico - Post Show Discussion  (Read 1994 times)

Offline VDB

• In the Band
Re: 2019-02-23 Barcelo Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico - Post Show Discussion
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 04:16:17 PM »
I know, I know, I'm just being cynical.
there is no explanation
it's all inside your head

de gustibus non disputandum

Offline Hicks

• IKKULUS
  • Gamehendge
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
The seeds for this short Ghost>SANTOS were sown at Trey's 12-03 solo show in Mesa.  Viewed in this light, the short Ghost makes a little more sense.

Yeah. A lot more forgivable in that format. Not to mention novel.

The transition between the two songs was real nice.  Trey included the "extra" lyrics for SANTOS that premiered in the Mesa show (I think the NYE version as well).  SANTOS is a nice bookend to a run that included a lot of allusions to space and celestial bodies in a lot of the songs, including most of the bust-outs (Spanish Moon, Spock's Brain, Who Loves the Sun)  with a space heavy encore. 

Not making the case that the Ghost was the "best version ever", just that it is a smaller piece in a larger puzzle and not necessarily a throw away.

That’s cool and all but it seemed like Trey thought they were short on time and had to immediately go to SANTOS when as evidenced by the big encore there was plenty of time to stretch Ghost a bit.  I dunno maybe he was itching to get offstage and ice his hip or something. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Offline cactusfan

• Wrote the Book
  • Let's go get sushi and not pay.
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 05:25:43 PM »
The seeds for this short Ghost>SANTOS were sown at Trey's 12-03 solo show in Mesa.  Viewed in this light, the short Ghost makes a little more sense.

The transition between the two songs was real nice.  Trey included the "extra" lyrics for SANTOS that premiered in the Mesa show (I think the NYE version as well).  SANTOS is a nice bookend to a run that included a lot of allusions to space and celestial bodies in a lot of the songs, including most of the bust-outs (Spanish Moon, Spock's Brain, Who Loves the Sun)  with a space heavy encore. 

Not making the case that the Ghost was the "best version ever", just that it is a smaller piece in a larger puzzle and not necessarily a throw away.

I liked it. Carini through Santos was the highlight of the show. Heard as one continuous flow of music, it works great. Obviously if you just snip out the Ghost, it hardly compares to other Ghosts, but so what? That's not what the song is doing in this context. Seemed to me like the band was locked in tight and flowing between songs with ease. Which I'm guessing feels good on their end, even if we're always out here demanding big jams.

Offline anthrax

• Wrote the Book
  • Nos vemos en las perras de turismo el sofá!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »

I liked it. Carini through Santos was the highlight of the show. Heard as one continuous flow of music, it works great. Obviously if you just snip out the Ghost, it hardly compares to other Ghosts, but so what? That's not what the song is doing in this context. Seemed to me like the band was locked in tight and flowing between songs with ease. Which I'm guessing feels good on their end, even if we're always out here demanding big jams.

i completely agree.  this ghost doesn't concern me 1 bit, as the playing is all good.

i also think curfew played a factor into the 2nd set.  you can obviously hear tweezer in carini, but there are hints of ghost in santos, had there not been any sort of curfew we could have had ourselves an insane tweezer>carini>tweezer>ghost>santos>ghost>santos>tweezer type sammy, but what did take place was pretty darn cool

Offline shoreline99

• In the Band
  • shocked and persuaded my soul to ignite
    • My List
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »
I dunno maybe he was itching to get offstage and ice his hip or something.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Offline anthrax

• Wrote the Book
  • Nos vemos en las perras de turismo el sofá!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »
what does fish start playing at the end of simple?  on the live stream, it looks as though he misheard trey.  what song could be misinterpreted by fish when mouthed over to him by trey?

Offline cactusfan

• Wrote the Book
  • Let's go get sushi and not pay.
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 06:31:38 PM »
what does fish start playing at the end of simple?  on the live stream, it looks as though he misheard trey.  what song could be misinterpreted by fish when mouthed over to him by trey?

Hm. That's a tough one. It's certainly a straightforward beat, and certainly isn't Martian Monster. I almost thought Mound, but he never takes it there fully. Dunno.

Offline Hicks

• IKKULUS
  • Gamehendge
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 10:02:00 PM »

Sounded like ASITHOS to me and ocean/martian sort of sound similar. I would bet it was on the list of songs to play too, in fact pretty surprised they didn't play it over the course of the run. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.