News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2019-06-23 MPP - Post-Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, June 23, 2019, 11:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: VDB on June 24, 2019, 11:18:01 PM
Quote from: mbw on June 24, 2019, 07:33:01 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 24, 2019, 05:50:30 AM
3 Everything's Rights so far this tour, they are loving that tune.

Could be the cringiest song to date.

That dishonor goes to SYSF.

Or Light.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VDB

Love a Soul Planet. It's cheesy but it knows it, and it's fun.

ER is cheesy but earnest.

SYSF is paint-by-numbers cheese, self-serious, shallow. Cheap.
Is this still Wombat?

gainesvillegreen

The Antelope in this show is a beautiful thing
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

mbw

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on June 25, 2019, 12:08:12 PM

This is a horrible song thread now.

Quote from: VDB on June 25, 2019, 12:06:30 PM

This is the correct answer.

Regarding ER, I just can't believe Marshall wrote, "Focus on today and you'll find a way."  Not to mention the tone deafness of the song.  Everything is certainly not right.

I was trying to forget about SYSF.

cactusfan

Quote from: mbw on June 25, 2019, 01:15:12 PM

Regarding ER, I just can't believe Marshall wrote, "Focus on today and you'll find a way."  Not to mention the tone deafness of the song.  Everything is certainly not right.

I find I don't mind SYSF because, unlike Planet and ER, the melody isn't cheesy, just the words.

Regardless, Heavy Things won this contest years ago.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: cactusfan on June 25, 2019, 02:58:49 PM
Quote from: mbw on June 25, 2019, 01:15:12 PM

I find I don't mind SYSF because, unlike Planet and ER, the melody isn't cheesy, just the words.

Regardless, Heavy Things won this contest years ago.

None of these is even remotely as bad as Fuckerpants... or even Velveeta Sea. Just sayin'
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

All of those songs are better than most bands' bullshit on one level or another.

cleech74

Hadn't seen a show since MPP2, 2014, and got to go to this one. It was also my first sober show since 4/17/1994, and I had a great time. Got to hang with longtime friends that I hadn't seen in a good while. The significancant upgrades to the pavilion are the tiered balconies on both sides of the stage. They're accessible from the lawn, and are first come, first serve. From where we were on the lawn, it looked like the crowds in both sides were pretty subdued, but stayed full for most of the show. The lawn was more lively. People boogieing down, and pretty attentive during the slower tunes & new stuff. Seemed like a good amount of veteran show goers, that know how to conduct themselves at a show.

Highlights for me were the 4 songs from Rift, all played pretty respectably, imo. Antelope was good, and the tension/release part before the Marco jam, got pretty intense! Decent Blaze On, to close the set. I hadn't caught Crosseyed, yet, so was pumped about it opening set 2. I was a little baffled at the return to "Stairway" lyric throughout the 2nd set, but people around us seemed to dig it. Thought it was a lil hammy, but didn't detract from the overall jamming in the set. Twist, followed with 2001, had everyone dancing, and great energy between band & crowd. 4 song encore, that started with Maze, and had a spirited version of Sanity thrown in, was the cherry on top of the sundae, pun intended. Closing it with Wilson, had everyone leaving with high spirits, as we were reminded that Merriweather seems to bring out the best of most bands that play there, and Phish definitely seems to raise their game, too. Locals, myself included, realize we are lucky to have MPP right in our backyard, and enjoy it for what it is. For me & my friends, and the other show goers around us, a good time was had by all. Still my favorite band!🙂 :phish:

N xt time, I'll have to try to partake in a 'Paug meetup, galore.

"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

Caravan2001

How has Rise/Come Together not been mentioned in this threat?

FTR, I love Everything's Right, lyrics aside.  They've been nailing it.

Caravan2001

Quote from: cleech74 on June 25, 2019, 10:24:06 PM
Hadn't seen a show since MPP2, 2014, and got to go to this one. It was also my first sober show since 4/17/1994, and I had a great time. Got to hang with longtime friends that I hadn't seen in a good while. The significancant upgrades to the pavilion are the tiered balconies on both sides of the stage. They're accessible from the lawn, and are first come, first serve. From where we were on the lawn, it looked like the crowds in both sides were pretty subdued, but stayed full for most of the show. The lawn was more lively. People boogieing down, and pretty attentive during the slower tunes & new stuff. Seemed like a good amount of veteran show goers, that know how to conduct themselves at a show.

Highlights for me were the 4 songs from Rift, all played pretty respectably, imo. Antelope was good, and the tension/release part before the Marco jam, got pretty intense! Decent Blaze On, to close the set. I hadn't caught Crosseyed, yet, so was pumped about it opening set 2. I was a little baffled at the return to "Stairway" lyric throughout the 2nd set, but people around us seemed to dig it. Thought it was a lil hammy, but didn't detract from the overall jamming in the set. Twist, followed with 2001, had everyone dancing, and great energy between band & crowd. 4 song encore, that started with Maze, and had a spirited version of Sanity thrown in, was the cherry on top of the sundae, pun intended. Closing it with Wilson, had everyone leaving with high spirits, as we were reminded that Merriweather seems to bring out the best of most bands that play there, and Phish definitely seems to raise their game, too. Locals, myself included, realize we are lucky to have MPP right in our backyard, and enjoy it for what it is. For me & my friends, and the other show goers around us, a good time was had by all. Still my favorite band!🙂 :phish:

N xt time, I'll have to try to partake in a 'Paug meetup, galore.

Nice!

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 25, 2019, 10:51:09 PM
How has Rise/Come Together not been mentioned in this threat?

FTR, I love Everything's Right, lyrics aside.  They've been nailing it.
Can we talk about "keepin it reel" for a minute. That shit just sucks. It seems like Mike's being serious, dude posts his fresh Nikes on Instagram. Seems like he's trying to keep it real to me.

Quote from: anthrax on June 24, 2019, 07:00:25 PM
for anyone that went, how were those new balconies at mpp?
They were sick! Tons of dance space, they planted grass too! But it's kinda like red rocks seating without the benches, so like platform "steps" made of grass. Sound was pretty dialed in unless you were in the far back corner of the top level. But they maxed out the amount of people allowed up there which made it less crowded. They started giving out wrist bands to the first 500 (I think) to get in on the second night. Ran into crazy Dave with his family up there, they literally just got bands to check it out up there. He did me a solid and gave me all three to pass out to my wook friends.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

sls.stormyrider

great show!!
great tour!!
Loved the Antelope

Everything's Right has a really nice groove, I can overlook the lyrics

20 years later gets the cheese award (although I like the outro)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

cleech74

Quote from: ph92 on June 25, 2019, 11:20:21 PM
Quote from: anthrax on June 24, 2019, 07:00:25 PM
for anyone that went, how were those new balconies at mpp?
They were sick! Tons of dance space, they planted grass too! But it's kinda like red rocks seating without the benches, so like platform "steps" made of grass. Sound was pretty dialed in unless you were in the far back corner of the top level. But they maxed out the amount of people allowed up there which made it less crowded. They started giving out wrist bands to the first 500 (I think) to get in on the second night. Ran into crazy Dave with his family up there, they literally just got bands to check it out up there. He did me a solid and gave me all three to pass out to my wook friends.

Glad you posted this. Was wondering how the "sky pavilion" experience went for fellow show goers, since I didn't venture up there myself. Apparently, access to both of those areas might not be free for future shows, as I've fead that they're letting people try it out for now, but will more than likely have a dollar amount attached. That said, what were your thoughts on the show? Highlights, for you & your "wook" friends? Also, was that your first time seeing a show at MPP?
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

emay

enjoyed these shows a lot. Always a good time at the hometown venue. It sure has a changed a lot, even since last year when I was there.

Was page side pavilion both nights and the energy was popping! Checked out the sky lawn for a little on saturday but went to my pav seat before show kicked off.
Thought Sunday was better of the two. The Ghost > Axilla was raging on Saturday and loved the Billy Breathes. And the Bowie > Coil almost brought my to tears. Execution was great and the page outro in my hometown venue that started it all was amazing. I haven't seen that since MGM 2016! and before that the last one I saw was the Mike Bass outro!
Parking lot situation is still a spread out mess. Wish they kept that big south lot and vending lot on that side, it was fun walking over the bridge and by the fountain (not even sure if that fountain is still there). Going to be interesting next year when they finish that apartment building that's in the current shakedown lot, I assume they are going to move the vending lot when those apartments are occupied but who knows we will see.

Caught my buddy Cris Jacobs Band on Saturday night at the Soundry and Mike came out for a couple CCR and CJ tunes.
Overall amazing weekend. Still think Charlotte was the best of the 3 but have only listened to the highlights so far.
They def love stopping at MPP. The backstage is baller now too! They have a pool for the artists and grand piano room.

cleech74

Cool that you got to see your buddy's band @ The Soundry, post show. They had to pumped by having Mike sit in with them. Haven't caught a show there yet, but I hear good things about it. My folks go to a lot of the Baltimore Blues Society shows, and have seen a few blues bands at the Soundry. Columbia has needed a decent venue for live music for a long while, so I'm sure it's been welcomed with open arms. Also, just saw a pic of the swimming pool @ MPP. and that definitely kicks ass. An acquaintance of mine who was with our group on Sun, said that the recent upgrades @ MPP were done with money from Howard Co, and from a nonprofit org. They approved the financing with the stipulation that the venue's promoters need to have a significant increase in revenue, which means a lot more shows, art exhibitions, events to be held there. Basically, MPP was slated to be closed, and more housing was to be built on that site, so they wanted a revenue stream comparable to what the new housing developments would've brought in. Also, the owners want to sell it, and some of the people involved with the non-profit org are looking to buy the venue from the current owners. Turns out that some of those people were at the shows this past weekend. If the sale is finalized, we can look forward seeing Phish, and a lot more quality music entertainment, for years to come. I got to thank them in person, and it was cool to hear about their business venture, and possible plans for their's & MPP's future.