Register

Author Topic: 2019-7-5 Fenway - Boston, MA - Post-Show Discussion  (Read 521 times)

Offline anthrax

• Wrote the Book
  • Nos vemos en las perras de turismo el sofá!!!!
2019-7-5 Fenway - Boston, MA - Post-Show Discussion
« on: July 05, 2019, 10:23:56 PM »
PHISH, FRIDAY 07/05/2019
FENWAY PARK
Boston, MA

SET 1: Free > Blaze On, Tube, Brian and Robert, Halfway to the Moon, Ocelot > Rift, Everything's Right > Runaway Jim

SET 2: Sand, Axilla I, Mercury, Wading In The Velvet Sea, Fuego, Say It To Me S.A.N.T.O.S. > Character Zero

ENCORE:  Bug, The Squirming Coil

Offline aphineday

• Wrote the Book
  • I'll get up and fly away...
Re: 2019-7-5 Fenway - Boston, MA - Post-Show Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 12:55:05 AM »
Already re-watched/more critically listened to Set II again. Some really good stuff in there that I pushed aside. Sand had some nice jam, just didn’t develop into anything too weird the way I wanted it to. Still totally great. Not sure on the placement of Axilla, but how do you not love that song? Mercury was the goods, but it stood out the first time... love that song even more now that they are kind of taking it for a longer spin. S.A.N.T.O.S. was fun - ready for this song to get the treatment soon as well. Loving the KV and Ghosts stuff mixed in, I enjoy watching them play with the placements. Love Bug, and Coil obviously. So not a barn burner, but not as much of a flop as I originally thought. Tomorrow should be a lot of fun.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Offline birdman

• In the Band
  • We'll help you party down!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 12:08:21 PM »
Pie guys groan as they started velvet sea could probably be heard throughout the venue.
Really enjoyed the mercury from last night. We had a great spot dead center about 25 rows back and the sound was perfect. That said, Fenway is a terrible venue for concerts, it was a cluster fuck getting in and the floor security was over the top.
Cant wait to do it again tonight
Paug FTMFW!

Offline tet

• you love it
  • r00t@week4paug.net
  • In the Band
    • week4paug.net
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 12:26:14 PM »
mainly listened last night and watched most of 2nd set, but I really enjoyed that show.  I love the complaints about Wading - keep em coming, and keep playing that song.  I'm also glad to hear that people said the sound was quite good there - 10 years ago it was absolute shit - I had nice balcony seats and it was so echoey and muddled. 

from memory (and I will relisten today), that Tube was outstanding.  Sand sticks out as a compact but amazing jam.  Axilla had stadium rock energy, it was fucking incredible watching Trey get that into it!  SANTOS is the new Zero, so seeing them paired up was funny.

Bug & Coil are some of my favorite songs, and the best way to end a heater of a show.  tonight should be a fun one for those in attendance! 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Offline WhatstheUse?

• Gamehendge
  • "Dances with Dirty"
    • The Jauntee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
It’s pretty awesome to me how quickly SANTOS has been welcomed into the community. Not many bands can get 40,000 people singing along at the top of their lungs to an unreleased song they’ve only really played a handful of times and debuted less than a year ago. Hi-ho-hi-ho-hi-ho!
Phish makes me happy.  It's as simple as that.

Offline shoreline99

• In the Band
  • shocked and persuaded my soul to ignite
    • My List
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 02:38:41 PM »
Pie guys groan as they started velvet sea could probably be heard throughout the venue.
Really enjoyed the mercury from last night. We had a great spot dead center about 25 rows back and the sound was perfect. That said, Fenway is a terrible venue for concerts, it was a cluster fuck getting in and the floor security was over the top.

Yeah, that song is my fuckerpants. Glad you guys had a good spot for sound, I've heard reports all over the board about the quality. Seems like security has been getting horrible at a lot of summer shed venues; I was pleasantly surprised at how chill they were at SPAC this summer.
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Offline sunrisevt

• In the Band
  • C'est pour nous proteger, les fleurs et bougies
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »

Yeah, that song is my fuckerpants. Glad you guys had a good spot for sound, I've heard reports all over the board about the quality. Seems like security has been getting horrible at a lot of summer shed venues; I was pleasantly surprised at how chill they were at SPAC this summer.

Granted, security was relatively chill at SPAC.

I also saw at least two in full tactical gear—urban camo, armor, ARs—standing in the shadows near the box office after show.
Quote from: Eleanor Marsail
I love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Offline anthrax

• Wrote the Book
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 03:05:32 PM »

I also saw at least two in full tactical gear—urban camo, armor, ARs—standing in the shadows near the box office after show.

Sure you did. :-P

Offline cactusfan

• Wrote the Book
  • Let's go get sushi and not pay.
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 03:26:14 PM »
I watched the stream of this one.

The kind of solid Phish show you see and think afterward that you're glad you're seeing the second night.

Everything felt tight and well played, while still feeling pretty middle of the road. Nice jamming in Mercury, and some nice playing in Tube, Sand, and Fuego. And I always love a Coil ending.

For the encore, Trey started playing the intro to Waste, then stopped, talked to the band, and announced that he'd changed his mind.

Offline shoreline99

• In the Band
  • shocked and persuaded my soul to ignite
    • My List
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 07:32:25 PM »

Missed that. There were a few of those guys by shakedown though, by the bridge. Not doing anything though. They also had a drone scanning the lot - first time I’d seen that.
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Offline sls.stormyrider

• Gamehendge
  • Let there be songs to fill the air
    • music list
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 08:24:04 PM »
Had a blast. Sorry I missed the paug crew. We were at a bar on Kenmore. We must’ve got to the bleacher bar after you left.
Sat in a field box behind home plate. By about the 4th song, sound was very good. Security was lax once we were inside.

Set 1 - Happy to hear Blaze on. It was my theme song during a tough time. Tube was great. Really enjoyed Everything’s Right and jam. It seemed like Trey pulled the ripcord in that too soon, but can’t argue with Jim to close

Set 2 - Enjoyed it all. Sand got it to a great start. Cool jam from Mercury. I sometimes like Velvet Sea and thought with the placement, lights, harmonies, and Treys outro it fit in beautifully. I’m not a huge fan of Fuego but loved the jam. Santos rocked and I thought the exact same thing as WTU.

Encore - Bug, Coil, perfect

Trey was on

Most important though was the fiancée passed the  :phish: test. She was up all night, dancing and having a blast.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:27:21 PM by slslbs »
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Offline anthrax

• Wrote the Book
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »
Most important though was the fiancée passed the  :phish: test. She was up all night, dancing and having a blast.

Fantastic! :rawk: