Register

Author Topic: Dual slot card to single slot?  (Read 147 times)

Offline Marmar

• Wrote the Book
  • Meet animals laminate 'em
Dual slot card to single slot?
« on: September 12, 2020, 09:08:22 PM »
So....I can't fit a dual slot video card into my case because of the layout....the unused portion of the dual slot bracket is the problem.

I just spent BIG coin on this card to do AI operations on video transfers.....should I be ballsy and remove the I/O bracket, and then cut it so it will fit?

-OR-

upgrade EVERYTHING to make use of this card......

I have a feeling that just changing the case won't make a difference, and that would entail a whole new set of issues because the cpu fan is built into the case.....so do I get ballsy and hack up a $1400 video card?
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

If John Medeski was my church organist I would NEVER miss a Sunday....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

"If you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - Dr. Timothy Leary

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Offline khalpin

• In the Band
Re: Dual slot card to single slot?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 11:03:30 PM »
So....I can't fit a dual slot video card into my case because of the layout....the unused portion of the dual slot bracket is the problem.

I just spent BIG coin on this card to do AI operations on video transfers.....should I be ballsy and remove the I/O bracket, and then cut it so it will fit?

-OR-

I have a feeling that just changing the case won't make a difference, and that would entail a whole new set of issues because the cpu fan is built into the case.....so do I get ballsy and hack up a $1400 video card?

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about but just wanted to give you a big "Thank you for everything you've been doing!"

Offline Marmar

• Wrote the Book
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 11:08:16 PM »

-OR-

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about but just wanted to give you a big "Thank you for everything you've been doing!"

You are quite welcome!

This is the crazy shit I go thru to bring the goods....wondering if I should hack up a $1400 card, or buy a new computer....lol

The card is like the one pictured.....it won't fit....do I remove that bracket and hack it in half?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 11:11:19 PM by Marmar »

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

"If you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - Dr. Timothy Leary

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Offline kellerb

• In the Band
  • YEMLESS
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 07:56:30 AM »
Before you bust out the hacksaw, take the bracket off and make sure the card fits right without it.

Depending on how the case is set up, altering the bracket might cause some card 'droop' so you might need something to prop it up and keep tension off the connection.

Offline Marmar

• Wrote the Book
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 09:20:12 AM »
Before you bust out the hacksaw, take the bracket off and make sure the card fits right without it.

Depending on how the case is set up, altering the bracket might cause some card 'droop' so you might need something to prop it up and keep tension off the connection.

I don't think droop will be an issue....since the card is secured into the case with a screw....its just that damn double width shit....i have the luxury that my card only has one row of connections....the 2nd slot space is just holes for cooling....

Offline rowjimmy

• Head Ache
  • 'Paug Admin
  • In the OTHER Band
  • No Questions. Just Rawk
    • Row Knows
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 09:17:11 AM »
is the card actually double width or is it just ports? Can you show us the other angles?

Offline ph92

• In the Band
  • bag it, tag it
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 04:06:55 PM »

I don't think droop will be an issue....since the card is secured into the case with a screw....its just that damn double width shit....i have the luxury that my card only has one row of connections....the 2nd slot space is just holes for cooling....
Eh, I wouldn't chop it, that extra slot is used for more airflow. You NEED the airflow, these new GPUs are so fucking powerful they need cooling unless you want it to deball the chips and buy a new one earlier than expected. An alternate route would be increasing your case's airflow to compensate. If you have a case with multiple fans on the front this may help the air flow from front to back. But the expansion slot area of the case is usually a dead air spot, meaning the air does not move much. Look into Noctua brand fans, SUPER solid fans, super quiet and powerful.
Make America Melt Again!

FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Offline Marmar

• Wrote the Book
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 10:51:09 PM »
Job done....card working like a champ....took the bracket off, chopped the bracket to a single slot....fit like a glove, and its working AWESOME.

In short....don't be afraid of this modification....I was till I saw a youtube vid of a guy chopping a Titian RTX in half....and he removed a DVDI port as well.....I didn't have to remove a port, so it was easy peasy.

Offline tet

• you love it
  • r00t@week4paug.net
  • In the Band
    • week4paug.net
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 08:35:50 AM »
 :clap:
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Offline emay

• Gamehendge
  • The Walrus was Page
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »
youtube university ftw!

Offline anthrax

• Wrote the Book
  • Nos vemos en las perras de turismo el sofá!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 05:11:28 PM »
Anyone else aroused by all this talk of putting 2 things in one slot and chopping things in half?

Offline Marmar

• Wrote the Book
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 08:28:01 PM »
Anyone else aroused by all this talk of putting 2 things in one slot and chopping things in half?

Splitting things in half.....maybe.....lol