Register

Author Topic: mmm, coffee  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Buffalo Budd

• Gamehendge
  • 'Looking for owls?' the young man asked.
Re: mmm, coffee
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2020, 02:43:46 PM »
GBL, that's like comparing crack to cocaine.  :wink:
Just got up off the couch to drop a deuce while the band belts out Fuckerpants.
You shouldn't shit in the living room even if it's your house. - 𝜋

Offline sls.stormyrider

• Gamehendge
  • Let there be songs to fill the air
    • music list
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »
I get my coffee from Thanksgiving coffee in Cali (see post on 1st page of thread for more info). Lots of their proceeds go to good environmental causes, etc. They were grower friendly and environmentally conscious before anyone else was talking about it

My wife has started getting Black Rifle Coffee - they send proceeds to Veteran's causes. I always supported Vets, especially since my step son enlisted
Both companies make very good coffee

For brewing, I prefer pour over for 1 - 3 cups. To make a pot I use a Techno Vorum Mocha Master - love it
One of the best wedding gifts we got was a Breville Espresso / Cappucino machine that gets use on weekend afternoons, etc.

don't underestimate burr grinders
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Offline ph92

• In the Band
  • bag it, tag it
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2020, 03:17:50 PM »
don't underestimate burr grinders
Key point here.

I have a friend who will bust out a particle size analyzer for when he buys a new batch of beans to see specifically how fine to grind them.... But his kitchen also looks like a meth lab with all the coffee brewing gear he owns. I'm not that crazy, I swear.

Make America Melt Again!

FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Offline pcr3

• Wrote the Book
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2020, 04:48:36 PM »
I use this to hand grind my beans coarsely for cold brew:

https://handground.com/

I drink this stuff black, which I never did before cold brewing.  Also, I use beans that I buy in bulk from Wegmans, so it's not like I'm spending a lot on the product.  I am, however, enjoying the best coffee I've ever had every single day.  I think  :sbw::wtu:, and vtsunrise may have all tried it and enjoyed it...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

Offline Caravan2001

• Gamehendge
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2020, 06:11:26 PM »

I drink this stuff black, which I never did before cold brewing.  Also, I use beans that I buy in bulk from Wegmans, so it's not like I'm spending a lot on the product.  I am, however, enjoying the best coffee I've ever had every single day.  I think  :sbw::wtu:, and vtsunrise may have all tried it and enjoyed it...

I got a cold brew rig for Xmas and am still trying to get it dialed in.  The grind size makes a huge difference as to the effectiveness so I might check this out.  I'm slowly getting it better, the first couple of batched were rough.  I rarely drink hot coffee.

Offline ph92

• In the Band
  • bag it, tag it
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2020, 06:17:51 PM »

I got a cold brew rig for Xmas and am still trying to get it dialed in.  The grind size makes a huge difference as to the effectiveness so I might check this out.  I'm slowly getting it better, the first couple of batched were rough.  I rarely drink hot coffee.
I put my cold brew set up away cause I kept overshooting the mark and getting wayyy cracked out during the day. I tend to like mine dark, so I'd usually do a 1:1 ratio of concentrate to water. I just never liked how 1:2 concentrate to water tasted.

But I use a Toddy Coffee setup when I make it. Have a pretty dialed in system.
Make America Melt Again!

Offline Caravan2001

• Gamehendge
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2020, 07:51:15 PM »

I put my cold brew set up away cause I kept overshooting the mark and getting wayyy cracked out during the day. I tend to like mine dark, so I'd usually do a 1:1 ratio of concentrate to water. I just never liked how 1:2 concentrate to water tasted.

Yeah, weird, I have been unable to get mine dark enough, even after 18 hours.  That's why I think my grind is not small enough but I don't want to get coffee through the filter.  Mine is a Zulay...pretty cheap but it was a gift so giving it a shot.

Offline ph92

• In the Band
  • bag it, tag it
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2020, 12:23:50 AM »

Yeah, weird, I have been unable to get mine dark enough, even after 18 hours.  That's why I think my grind is not small enough but I don't want to get coffee through the filter.  Mine is a Zulay...pretty cheap but it was a gift so giving it a shot.
Yeah the toddy is way different than what you have. But I use 12oz grounds to 64oz of water, I use a super coarse grid since gravity and a wool filter are what I'm working with. But it's a pretty solid outcome when I leave it for like 16-18 hrs. Honestly, it's so strong sometimes I'll do a second brew with a few ounces of fresh grounds mixed in.
Make America Melt Again!

Offline pcr3

• Wrote the Book
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2020, 12:16:48 PM »

Yeah the toddy is way different than what you have. But I use 12oz grounds to 64oz of water, I use a super coarse grid since gravity and a wool filter are what I'm working with. But it's a pretty solid outcome when I leave it for like 16-18 hrs. Honestly, it's so strong sometimes I'll do a second brew with a few ounces of fresh grounds mixed in.

Mine sits in the fridge brewing for 36-48 hours.  First batch, first time trying it, I forgot that it was concentrate, so I drank a big ole glass of it on the rocks.  Tasted...intense, and not in a good way.  I was pretty disappointed, but got through the glass somewhat quickly.  About a half hour later I was sweating and gritting my teeth like I had done two grams of coke in 5 minutes...

Now I generally do 1:1 water to concentrate, sometimes a little bit more water.  Like a good scotch, that extra water actually brings out all of the flavors.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3