News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Winter Storm warning!

Started by susep, December 03, 2007, 10:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willsteele

Quote from: messengerbird on December 03, 2007, 03:56:24 PM
a 75 mile drive home and it took about 3 hrs!

A few years back a normal 40 minute ride home from work took 4:45 hours because of the snow traffic.  I had to go to the bathroom somethin awful I got home.  Damn winter.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

sunrisevt

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on December 03, 2007, 04:04:21 PM
thanks, yo...

i'm gettig ready to join your kind too, if i remember correctly...
looking like i might be getting a spot in nursing school next fall  :-D

nurse anethesist, here i come!!!

Rock it, girl. My wife's a family nurse practitioner, working a small-town clinic across the lake in NY. The countryside definitely needs all the help it can get. It'll be a neat trick fitting vegetable farming in around nursing school, but you can do it. What sort of track do you want to take--BSN to MSN, 2-year RN to MSN?

Quote from: willsteele on December 03, 2007, 04:10:23 PM
40 minute ride home from work took 4:45 hours because of the snow traffic

Must be some sort of non-concert record.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

heh.. I'm going the... ADN>BSN>Aneth.school for 18months, route.

between my ADN and BSN i work a year and get the hospital to pay for me to got back to get my BSN...
then work another year or two and get them to pay for my 18 month training in anesthesia.

i think the farm would come in the years between the ADN & BSN... maybe?
it's all in how the cards fall and the $$ fills in the gaps :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

messengerbird

What schools are you looking at? You are going to love being a nurse. It is the most rewarding job. Good luck and keep me posted on how it is going.
Central part of town, I'm going down

Quote from: Phishy69 on January 05, 2010, 11:12:04 PM
A match made in Gamehenge  :-D

sunrisevt

^^^Yup--just roll with the waves and stay above water.

It was looking like we'd never be able to buy a house; Vermont is getting too pricy for our generation, with the richer half of southern NY and Jersey buying farmhouses near the towns as getaways. But now, with the mortgage crisis, it's turned into a buyer's market, and we can probably get a little 2 bedroom placewith only a tiny down payment, move in before the baby's 6 months old, and sock in everything we make against the mortgage. Then we'll be ready to trade up when Laura finishes her service commitment. (National Health Service Corps--loans paid off in increments for working a job in a shortage area.) In fact, I bet there's parts of Appalachia that qualify. If you end up borrowing money for school, you might want to look into it. But getting an employer to pay up front would definitely be better.  :wink: Go for it.

Quote from: messengerbird on December 03, 2007, 04:37:57 PM
What schools are you looking at? You are going to love being a nurse. It is the most rewarding job. Good luck and keep me posted on how it is going.

How about you, messengerbird? My wife did BSN at the University of Vermont (proud husband brags: she did a BA in Women's Studies at the same time), then the MSN at Chapel Hill. What kind of nursing do you do?
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: messengerbird on December 03, 2007, 04:37:57 PM

i'm gonna do the community college for my ADN.
easy access, being 5 minutes from my house :)
then i can either do 1 of three schools in the area....
one being Morehead, that has classes here in town and i'd only have to drive the 45 minutes commute there 1/week
or Marshall, across the river abotu 20 minutes away and i also went there for my first semester of college... 7 years ago..
0r, third being the other direction across the river at OSU, southern campus.

i like the first two options better...
then aneth. school in either charleston, wv or richmond, va...
both not too far...
but for sure i'll keep you up-to-date. :)
gonna take my last few pre-req classes next semester and over the summer time ... math and anatomies, etc...
plus i have to get thru a CNA course... it's part of the pre-req for the comunity college b/c apparently they don't teach that stuffs in the actual nursing program anymore... dont' have to get the certificate, just do the program.

and yeah, sunrise, appalchia has the same kinds of programs, but when your hometown has one of the "top 100 places for working women" in the country as its' hospital... plus its a teaching medical center... you can't really pass that idea up... only thing is, i'd pay up front and they'd re-imburse me once i get my receipt and turn it in :)

i can't flippin' wait to finally get out in the real world, working !!!  :-D
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sunrisevt

Rock on, mandi.  :beers: (After/during homework.)

messengerbird

I went to school at Northeastern University in Boston. It was a five year BSN program. It involved co-ops. Which meant you would go to school for a semester and then work full time as a nursing student for a semester. It is a wonderful program because you get experience as a nursing student while getting paid. This helped me pay for school and expenses. I now work in Boston at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center as a RN in the neonatal intensive cares unit. I love it! What kind of nursing does your wife do?

alcoholandcoffeebeans

thanks for the encouragement, sir/ma'am!!!
:beers:

starting, i guess, next summer, i'll keep you posted with my progress  :-)

messengerbird

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on December 03, 2007, 04:51:45 PM

i can't flippin' wait to finally get out in the real world, working !!!  :-D

Sounds like you have a good plan. And if you have help with the payments that is a plus that you just can't pass up.

sunrisevt

I thought I remembed you mentioned NICU a while back, messengerbird. Like I said, Laura did the BSN at UVM--it was a straight 4 years, relatively little clinical training. When we moved down to Chapel Hill, she took a job in maternity at the University hospital--the patients were immediate postpartum, and anyone hospitalized antepartum. While we lived down there, she did an MSN with specialty in rural & community-oriented primary care, and now she's an FNP up here. her clinic has two MDs, a couple PAs, and her. I think they're about to hire another NP and MD. Also a pediatrician rotates through 1 day/week. 

I respect NICU--I heard some tough stories from the maternity nurses.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: sunrisevt on December 03, 2007, 05:11:39 PM
I respect NICU--I heard some tough stories from the maternity nurses.

i have the utmost respect for those ladies!!
they're why i'm here :)

sunrisevt

...and on a lighter note, I love the song.  :wink:

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on December 03, 2007, 04:59:46 PM
thanks for the encouragement, sir/ma'am!!!
:beers:

starting, i guess, next summer, i'll keep you posted with my progress  :-)

good luck.
and props to messengerbird and mrs. vt

a good nurse is worth her/his weight in gold
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sunrisevt

^^^Damn straight.  The best friend I made (my only stoner friend there  8-)) when we lived in Chapel Hill was one of Laura's classmates. We stay with him & his wife whenever we go down to visit.

Quote from: slslbs on December 03, 2007, 06:29:14 PM
and props to messengerbird and mrs. vt
Oh, she kept her name when we got married.  :wink:

But consider the props passed on.