News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

First Song at Hampton

Started by cactusfan, October 01, 2008, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty76

Back on the Train    or    2001    or    Golgi Apparatus   or  Buried Alive into any of those 3 songs!

This is going to be the ULTIMATE party and no matter what they play will be better than sitting around dreaming about them coming back and playing again!!   

1st encore will be a Beatles cover as well.....

rowjimmy

Whatever they open with... They should encore the third night with:
Journey - Faithfully

keeb333

Quote from: A-Train on October 04, 2008, 01:27:46 PM
Harpua-with a story about how Jimmy's favorite band dissbanded after playing together for 20+ years leaving him feeling empty and lost for over four years only to awake aboard the Mothership and realize it was only a horrible nightmare he was having due to alien abduction syndrome.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i like it!

+k

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 04, 2008, 08:56:25 PM
Whatever they open with... They should encore the third night with:
Journey - Faithfully

That's funny, I was listening to Evolution yesterday and thinking that so many of those songs would be killer for them to do.....Faithfully is on Frontiers, but still....

Marmar

There's a Van Halen David Lee Roth song that comes to mind....

This Must Be Just Like Living In Paradise......

look up the lyrics, listen to the song, and picture Page singin it.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

cleech74

...And I don't want to go home!
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

Phunkaddict

Quote from: tehdead on October 03, 2008, 09:23:56 PM
To be honest idc wtf they play first, ima have to go to the bathroom during the first song to clean up all the cream in my pants.

I just want them to bring thE FUNK!

Ghost*-> Black Eyed Katy#-> Ghost Reprise Jam^

* - Original structure(Mike-slap style) from 1997 & Island Tour.
# - 17 minutes, including a marvelous segue out of and back into Ghost.
^ - Jammed to the current Ghost structure
And The Light Is Growing Brighter Now

Poster Nutbag

Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

thelot

redrum

Quote from: thelot on October 05, 2008, 02:26:52 PM
undermind

dude. that's so weird. i was just having that same exact thought prolly while you were typing that.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

jephrey

Only a few people picked new song, but one explanation was great...  I'll come back to that

Not a cover...  There are really only a few songs that I'd even imagine the guys would consider (like 2001), but I just don't feel it.  If you led or were even a part of a band like Phish, I don't think I'd come back on someone else's song...  The chance only increases slightly when you make the song somewhat your own, like Cities maybe.

New original/not an older song:  I think they'd try to distance themselves from their former "reputations" or whatever.  I suppose I may be talking more of Trey here as well, but to come out with the song that started it all, or their old biggest hit doesn't seem Phishy.  Last time it was Chalkdust on SNL and I liked it...  Followed by a new song.  It still felt a little like a continuation of what had ended a couple years earlier.  I think with a chance to come back from a break again, they're going to at least try to do things differently and almost make a new name for themselves.  Maybe we get hella lucky and they hit the barn for a few months, coming up with some material that all of them create. 

I like different aspects of Mike's and Page's solo stuff and think that the stuff Mike and Trey wrote with the Duo was top notch.  I also remember reading how much they enjoyed WRITING together. 

I don't necessarily care what song is first, I'll have to take in the set, but my hope is for something to make a good statement that they're back and trying to tackle new musical hurdles by trying new things, or maybe even VERY old things (like reinventing a song that hadn't been played for 20 years)... 

I'd even enjoy the more obscure, like Spock's Brain or a long lead-in Guy Forget.

So my preference is for them to play something new, and for the aforementioned reasoning, that's also what I believe the first song will be.

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

susep

extended 2001 > You Enjoy Myself

Meaty!

alaska > time turns elastic

manonsen

redrum

just figured it out.

Makisupa Policeman*
*keyword= "Rehab"

It's their oldest original.
They can just ease in to it against the insanely deafening crowd that gets even louder once we realize it's actually Makisupa.
Trey mutters, "Woke up in the morning, ...........Rehab. Ha ha haha"
Jaws drop and kidz die laughing not believing he actually said rehab.
Then we start to realize we're about to experience one of the greatest three night runs in the history of ever and that this is how they decided to kick it off.

:mrgreen:
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.