News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Complete Music DVD You Watched?

Started by mopper_smurf, October 28, 2008, 10:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natronzero

Quote from: PGLHAH on December 06, 2014, 12:41:43 PM
Not a dvd, but I've been digging the Foo Fighters Sonic Highways series on HBO. I'm not a fan of the band, but this series is basically a collection of hour long documentaries about the music scenes in each city. It's pretty great.

It really is badass. If you can get past the irritating and pretentious parts that are directly FF-related (especially the music video at the end of every episode..ugh), it's total music doc gold.
I've only seen the first 4 episodes, but they're all killer and really do justice to the cities they cover.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

mbw

i just got done with the first one on chicago.  good stuff.
that song at the end though.

PIE-GUY

It's so true. Every episode I'm left with this horrible FF song. It's almost funny.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mopper_smurf

Quote from: PGLHAH on December 07, 2014, 12:27:58 AM
It's so true. Every episode I'm left with this horrible FF song. It's almost funny.

Indeed. Loved the DC and Austin episodes. LA not so much.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

jam>

anthrax

Been digging the Palladia channel through Comcast Cable.  I recently enjoyed Super Duper Alice Cooper and...

Rush Documentary - Beyond the Lighted Stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NWNhUriqTw&list=PLD9C0F237FB0D9A38

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

gah

Quote from: justjezmund on May 15, 2013, 10:41:02 AM
Quote from: anthrax on May 14, 2013, 09:27:08 PM
The Last Waltz - sooooooooooooooo good  :music:

it must be played loud.

That's how I spent yesterdays lazy Sunday afternoon, on a couch with the sunshine pouring in. It was good.

:music:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sls.stormyrider

Not a DVD (or maybe it is), but a while back I DVR'd a show with Albert King and SRV from PBS.

wow
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Mr. Natural

Just found out Hulu has movies, including music docs.
Watched this one with my son last night.

My son loved all the comic book animation. Sometimes, they threw too many songs in in a row - like, where they start 5 different songs in a 90-second portion of movie.
The 70s/80s footage is amazing, force-of-nature stuff; but the real tension is with the band's patience in dealing with HR's mental health issues.

SONG OF THE SOUTH was great.

The best part was how they would pinpoint all the exact musical moments that were so pivotal for his (and the band's) evolution. I thought they would place it in a broader southern-rock context, with more footage of other bands. Great pairing of interviews with relevant musical passages. It wasn't like a list of 'formative tracks,' but more like the liner notes of those old jazz records where they tell you exactly what to listen for, then play it for you.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

sls.stormyrider

I've been curious about Song of the South
Thanks for the review. I'll have to search it out.

was there any video footage of Duane?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mopper_smurf

Thirty years ago Metallica played a show in Zwaagwesteinde, The Netherlands. Only show I caught with the great Cliff Burton. Sold out show in a venue that could accommodate 500 people.

Local network did a nice documentary about that show and had a chat with Lars and Kirk.

English subtitles. Side note: the native tongue is Frysian, not Dutch. It's a different language altogether. I can understand most of it, My dad grew up in that part of the country,
Twitter | FB | Instagram

Mr. Natural

Quote from: slslbs on March 01, 2015, 09:15:56 PM

The Allman Joys and other pre-Brothers stuff is mostly photos or stock footage of LA or Georgia in the mid-60s. The footage of the ABB seemed to be mostly stuff that's already on youTube - those grainy Fillmore tapes. There is some interview audio, but it's matched with photos.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

khalpin

Quote from: mopper_smurf on March 05, 2015, 01:29:14 PM

Thirty years ago Metallica played a show in Zwaagwesteinde, The Netherlands. Only show I caught with the great Cliff Burton. Sold out show in a venue that could accommodate 500 people.

Local network did a nice documentary about that show and had a chat with Lars and Kirk.

English subtitles. Side note: the native tongue is Frysian, not Dutch. It's a different language altogether. I can understand most of it, My dad grew up in that part of the country,

Awesome!   I'm definitely going to watch this later tonight!   :rawk:

rowjimmy

Quote from: Mr. Natural on March 07, 2015, 01:01:45 PM
Quote from: slslbs on March 01, 2015, 09:15:56 PM

The Allman Joys and other pre-Brothers stuff is mostly photos or stock footage of LA or Georgia in the mid-60s. The footage of the ABB seemed to be mostly stuff that's already on youTube - those grainy Fillmore tapes. There is some interview audio, but it's matched with photos.

I just listened to my two pre-ABB albums yesterday. One was Allman Joys the other was the 68 Duane & Greg demos. Cool stuff. Especially like their Morning Dew.