News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Complete Music DVD You Watched?

Started by mopper_smurf, October 28, 2008, 10:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

PIE-GUY

I saw this flick on a big screen during SXSW when it had just been completed in 2006. I think Dean Budnick was even there for a Q&A after the screening. It's been years. The big thing I remember is that it won a lot of praise for the digital animation of still photos and stuff that was a really new documentary film technique... and one that I see all the these days.

Pretty cool that it's just up on youtube now! Go Relix!

Also....  https://relix.com/articles/detail/watch-wetlands-preserved-the-story-of-an-activist-nightclub-with-bob-weir-phish-the-roots-and-more/

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

anthrax

now is a good a time as any to dig deep into my ph video vaults.  they used to accompany live phish releases with video, so the sound quality is fantactic.  they did this for 12/1/95, 12/29/97, and a couple more.

i'm currently at setbreak of this bad boy.  smoking first set, obviously.  we'll be back in about 15 minutes...

QuotePHISH, SATURDAY 10/21/1995
PERSHING AUDITORIUM
Lincoln, NE
Soundcheck: Dog Log, Life on Mars? (x3), The Old Home Place

SET 1: Tweezer Reprise, Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Reba[1], Wilson > Cars Trucks Buses, Kung > The Lizards, Strange Design, Acoustic Army, Good Times Bad Times -> Tweezer Reprise

SET 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > David Bowie, Lifeboy, Sparkle > You Enjoy Myself > Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Harry Hood, Suzy Greenberg

ENCORE: Highway to Hell

[1] No whistling.

Reba did not have the whistling ending. Perhaps responding to fan predictions of a Michael Jackson cover album on Halloween, the band teased Black or White before GTBT as well as Beat It before and in Hood and in Suzy Greenberg. Suzy also included Stairway to Heaven and Tweezer Reprise teases. The soundcheck's Dog Log contained YEM lyrics (Wash Uffizi and drive me to Firenze). This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.

khalpin

Quote from: anthrax on March 16, 2020, 05:53:36 PM
now is a good a time as any to dig deep into my ph video vaults.  they used to accompany live phish releases with video, so the sound quality is fantactic.  they did this for 12/1/95, 12/29/97, and a couple more.

i'm currently at setbreak of this bad boy.  smoking first set, obviously.  we'll be back in about 15 minutes...

PERSHING AUDITORIUM
Lincoln, NE

SET 1: Tweezer Reprise, Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Reba[1], Wilson > Cars Trucks Buses, Kung > The Lizards, Strange Design, Acoustic Army, Good Times Bad Times -> Tweezer Reprise

SET 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > David Bowie, Lifeboy, Sparkle > You Enjoy Myself > Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Harry Hood, Suzy Greenberg

[1] No whistling.

Reba did not have the whistling ending. Perhaps responding to fan predictions of a Michael Jackson cover album on Halloween, the band teased Black or White before GTBT as well as Beat It before and in Hood and in Suzy Greenberg. Suzy also included Stairway to Heaven and Tweezer Reprise teases. The soundcheck's Dog Log contained YEM lyrics (Wash Uffizi and drive me to Firenze). This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.
Absolutely love those old LP videos from the soundboard.  Would kill for more of those.

anthrax

Quote from: khalpin on March 16, 2020, 06:23:59 PM
Quote from: anthrax on March 16, 2020, 05:53:36 PM

PERSHING AUDITORIUM
Lincoln, NE

[1] No whistling.

Absolutely love those old LP videos from the soundboard.  Would kill for more of those.

agreed!  why not just release vid to accompany each livephish archive release.  anyone know what year they started video recordings?  i bet they have raw footage of the kent state show they could have shared!

that bowie was just what the dr. ordered  :beers: :beers: :beers:

anthrax

just finished viewing the first set of this one...amazing!  what a 1-2 punch to open the show.  people would explode if they did this now.  i need to sit down a bit before i fire up set 2.

QuotePHISH, TUESDAY 12/30/1997
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
New York, NY
SET 1: Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley[1] -> Taste, Water in the Sky > Punch You in the Eye > Stash, Chalk Dust Torture, A Day in the Life

SET 2: AC/DC Bag > McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Harpua[2] > I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)[3] > Harpua > Izabella > Harry Hood[4] -> My Soul > Sleeping Monkey > Guyute

ENCORE: Carini -> Black-Eyed Katy -> Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley[1] > Frankenstein[5]

[1] No vocal jam.
[2] "Pentagram Harpua;" also included a narrative about Lost in Space.
[3] Phish debut; Tom Marshall on vocals.
[4] Unfinished.
[5] Fish on vacuum.

Trey teased  A Night in Tunisia in Stash. AC/DC Bag included Third Stone From the Sun and Psycho Killer teases. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) made its Phish debut, was sung by Tom Marshall, contained an A Day in the Life quote from Tom referncing Big Phil (a fan who was in attendance that night), and was part of the "Pentagram Harpua," which also included a narrative about Lost in Space. Hood was unfinished. Pete Carini made an appearance on-stage during the encore. Frankenstein included a segment with Fish coming center stage with his vacuum. The encore was unusually long; once the band realized they were going to be fined for playing past midnight, they decided to play well past midnight. Sneakin' Sally was played for the first time since May 28, 1989 (920 shows). Neither of the Sallys contained vocal jams. This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

anthrax

VDB

Amazing show. Even got my wife to watch some of it.
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

Just finished up with Walnut Creek disc 1. Now it's time for the magic to start when I pop in disc 2!!

I figured there's no better way to prepare for tonight's Dinner & a Movie than by watching the show from the next night, July 22nd, 1997.

The 4:3 aspect ratio is strange after watching so many 3.0 shows, but I will not be turned away by a smaller screen.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

khalpin

Quote from: mistercharlie on May 19, 2020, 07:35:40 AM
Just finished up with Walnut Creek disc 1. Now it's time for the magic to start when I pop in disc 2!!

I figured there's no better way to prepare for tonight's Dinner & a Movie than by watching the show from the next night, July 22nd, 1997.

The 4:3 aspect ratio is strange after watching so many 3.0 shows, but I will not be turned away by a smaller screen.
I got a Roku TV about a year ago and there's no option to go 4:3 when playing a DVD.  It automatically stretches the picture to fit the screen.  I should've just returned the TV as soon as I found that out.  Been driving me nuts for a year now.

mistercharlie

Quote from: khalpin on May 19, 2020, 08:56:20 AM

I got a Roku TV about a year ago and there's no option to go 4:3 when playing a DVD.  It automatically stretches the picture to fit the screen.  I should've just returned the TV as soon as I found that out.  Been driving me nuts for a year now.

Wow, that sucks.

How does a company make a TV that won't display 4:3 correctly?!?
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VDB

Quote from: mistercharlie on May 19, 2020, 09:35:48 AM

Wow, that sucks.

How does a company make a TV that won't display 4:3 correctly?!?

Tech companies be arrogant.
Is this still Wombat?

ytowndan

Yeah, that'd be a deal breaker for me.  I watch too many older movies to deal with that. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.