News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

24 bit shows

Started by manonsen, November 06, 2008, 05:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manonsen

i was wondering-

if i dl a show in 24 bit, what is a good (preferably free) program to use to convert it into 16 bit files that i can burn on a regular cd???

thanks!!

GBL

dont... just dl the 16bit

but if you do dl the 24bit.. burn them to dvd audio ;\ or listen to them on your comp
If this is love, I'm never going home..

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

jasonsobel

as the other posters said, don't bother downloading a 24 bit seed and converting to 16 bit, just download the 16 bit files.
that said, if you feel you must, r8brain is a fantastic tool for converting to 44.1 kHz (and dither to 16 bit)
and it's free.  well, there's a pro version that costs money, but the free version is great too.  you can download it here:
http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

that said, if you do use this tool, please do so for personal use only and do not circulate it, as there is most likely already a 16/44.1 version already circulating and there is no need for multiple versions of the same source (which just creates confusion).

sing me back home before I die

jephrey

However...  If you like to archive in 24bit, no sense dling the 16 also.  Archive the 24, and you should be able to stick the files into a burning program and it'll do the conversion for you as it burns.  At least Toast does it for me.  I'm sure you won't be re-ripping those files, so no big deal - as long as that's your plan, just to burn the audio and not keep it on the computer.  As Jason points out, there's no need for multiple versions of the same source so if your plan is to keep 16 bit files archived also, then just grab that 16bit fileset and archive and burn it.

I like 24bit, if not for now, then for in a few years when things go that way (as we all know they will, led by a crazed bunch of Phish head audiophiles)

*2496247365* *249624752*
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

jephrey

24bit96khz24hours7days365days 

Actually, 24-7-365 is bogus, should be 24-7-52  I'll fix that
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Marmar

Quote from: manonsen on November 06, 2008, 05:31:52 PM
i was wondering-

if i dl a show in 24 bit, what is a good (preferably free) program to use to convert it into 16 bit files that i can burn on a regular cd???

thanks!!

If you convert any shows and circulate them.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.