News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R6/W01: 12-18-1999 Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, Virginia

Started by ytowndan, December 08, 2008, 03:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

PHISH

Hampton Coliseum
Hampton, Virginia
December 18, 1999
(ph1999-12-18)
--------------------
***THIS IS A RESEED OF SET 1, WHICH PREVIOUSLY HAD AN ERROR***

Source:  (Back of Stage) Microtech Geffel 210 > Oade M248 > DAT (44.1)
Transfer:  DAT(c)>Sony 59ES>optical>Nomad Jukebox 3>USB>
WAV>CDWave>SHN (MKW w/ .skt appended)

(DATs provided by Steve Mang)
(Transfer by Terry Watts - http://db.etree.org/twatts)
--------------------
Disc 1
Set 1:
1. Hood  (19:11)
2. Back at the Chicken Shack  (7:37)
3. Dog Log  (6:18)
4. Tube  (8:01)
5. Heavy Things  (5:10)
6. Get Back on the Train  (5:22)
7. First Tube  (9:49)
8. Minestrone  (3:31)
(64:59)

Disc 2:
Set 1, cont.:
1. YEM  (23:11)
Set 2:
2. 2001  (17:34)
3. Sand  (16:49)
4. The Horse > Silent in the Morning  (5:50)
6. Possum  (11:00)
(74:24)

Disc 3:
Set 2, cont.:
1. Mike's Song >  (9:16)
2. Simple >  (9:24)
3. Weekapaug Groove >  (6:56)
4. Buffalo Bill >  (2:22)
5. Weekapaug Groove  (4:05)
6. crowd noise (3:24)
7. e: Ya Mar  (7:44) 
8. e: Sleeping Monkey  (6:45)
(49:56)
--------------------
Notes:

Just a note on the source, the taper sat behind the stage on the lower level and
taped from his seat.  I think he has taped from this spot before, but this is
the only tape I've heard from this spot - hopefully other sources like this will emerge! 

And maybe I'm deaf or wasn't paying attention, but I don't hear a drop out in Sand
like on the previous version of this set... 

Thanks to Steve for providing the DATs!

Thanks to Jason Sobel for pointing out my error in the first set, I had my NJB3
recording at 48, when it should have been 44.1.  Please destroy the old seed and
replace with this new seed.

Flames, comments, corrections:

Terry Watts
--------------------

Lossy:
Set 1 http://www.sendspace.com/file/lx80by
Set 2 http://www.sendspace.com/file/0d7bt2

Lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=509743

Submitted Reviews

Ytown
August
Birdman
Declan
Khalpin
Blatboom
Mandi
Mr. Minor
Mirthbeatenworker
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

G. Augusto

MiamiPhish

Mr Minor

blatboom

alcoholandcoffeebeans

ok, so it started this week :)

i'm excited for this one...
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

Declan

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

fauxpaxfauxreal

ytowndan

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on December 08, 2008, 02:51:58 PM
12-17-99 blows this one away....

:-D

Yeah, that mid second set Jennifer Dances is the h33T!1!

I can sendspace that for you if you'd like.   :-P
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

fauxpaxfauxreal

When they opened with Piper... I was like YIZZESS!  By the time Character Zero came around, I was flipping the band off...

Declan

QuoteSet I Review:

Hood - Nice playful intro, the effect that Paige begins to use sounds pretty good with this intro, you can tell he is warmed up.  Fishman begins playing with the rhythm right before the lyrics which also sounds very nice. Hits the jam, I'm liking treys semi-distorted guitar sound, very nice for dynamics/expresson.  All in all, fun hood to get warmed up.

Chicken shack - nice after hood, very nice.  If you didn't think hood was enough to get the band warmed up, this next song was a nice blues loosener-upper.

Dog log -- always bumpin'.. nice jam section --- band changed to a major sound progression which i liked, then brought it back to the E, G, F#, F bass line.

Tube -- always pleases Mr. Declan..... nice whammy loop by trey to start out the funky jam.  Mikes kickin a meaty bassline... bone chiller.  Paige is playing with some very nice subtle effects... wow.... really liking these and this is part of the reason i love tube so much, PAIGE+EFFECTS.  Around 3:10 and beyond Paige is incorporating these effects, but it takes some serious listening to catch everything. They could have maybe played with mikes key change around 4:20 but they never really do that in tube do they?  Fishman is really dropping some nice rhythms around the 5:25+ mark.

Heavy things -- Didn't really expect this.  I guess a feel good tune?

Get back on the train --  They should call this song the chicken shack... they way the jam sounds.

First tube-  not my favorite + trey PHLUB!!!!  Jam has the potential for a nice buildup... i would have liked to hear some clearer wailing from trey at the peak, but oh well.

Inlaw -- I really REALLY like this song.  good for relaxing after first tube.  Beautiful all the way through.

YEM -- Just when we thought the set was going to end, You Enjoy Myself.  At the chill, good so far....  Solid composed sections (lets hope :phish: is reviewing this hampton show).  Bass solo was pretty cool although i don't like 1 particular note that mike hit, you may know the one.  Trey is living up to his expectations.  Leads into

Boy man, this part is good. >

Jam----Tramp jam consisted of some really good organ by Paige, really sexy licks.  I'm really liking the freshness of the groove here, after the trampolines... glad the band is already at 100 on the funk-o-meter from the tube earlier in the set.  Trey is actually playing really nice Gm chord variations here.  Mike seems to already be teasing the bass-line that leads into the solo.... makes for a really nice groove.  14 mins- pretty decent licks from trey, not anything too special IMO.  (however seem to consist of a good amount of feeling).  Bass solo can count on mike Gordon's greatness.  I always like when the band starts the vocal jam with instruments.  Vocal jam progresses from rhythmic exhaling to spiritual moaning.  At points this could have definitely drifted into Yerushalayim.  22:00- Now i feel like I'm in a goddamn Mayan tomb underground looking at something of great significance.

Excellent fade out,

End of Set.

Set 2

2001 -- solid, always good for the number 1 spot in set 2. nice seuge into >

Sand -- Groovy start to this,  pushes along.... after the lyrics some really nice electric piano stuff from paige.  Pretty spacy version so far... carrying on very nicely from 2001.  Now some more cool paige clav effects... boy do i love those.  This has turned into the perfect seuge in the Mothership.  Some decent soloing from trey near the end.  Good return to the original groove to end.

The horse/silent -- good performance, good placement.

Possum -- Sexy intro, great playing around from the band... wow i love this stuff... breaks into the intro lines... good energy b4 mikes

Mikes -- crowd was happy... pretty good version... nothing too special

Simple -- Nice, cool simple jamming for quality relaxation

Paug -- pretty solid version for 99'.... trey is living up to his expectations

Buffalo Bill --- nice work :phish:, continuing mikes groove with a nice addition.

Paug -- fuck i love Norwegian wood.. what a beautiful line... band is pretty hot now.

Ya mar - "he was my grandpa"

Sleeping monkey - good song to end the night with, goodnight everyone

Solid show, i would have defiantly enjoyed being there.

B
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

G. Augusto

I always preferred the night before over this one.
I tried to give it a fair listen...

Hood - Well, I guess it worked in Philly  :wink:. Some Trey keys in the intro. Hood seemed to be more frequent and longer later on in their career. Trey plays his "Mr. Minor" riff in the wrong key for the first two times through. Jam doesn't really build, but just kinda happens. He is, however, teasing the shit out of the 07-10-1999 Chalkdust. The jam DEF gets raging toward the end.

Shack - I've said it before "Worst Song In Their Rotation." This one just deflated me as I head to the bathroom.

Dog Log - Making its only appearance of the year.

Tube - Trey on keys for the majority of the jam. Pretty cool version...And here comes 4 straight Trey tunes!

Heavy - Things

G - BOTTT

1st - Tube. Trey falls behind during one of his lines.

Inlaw - Josie Wales. Actuallt quite solid.

YEM - The Setmaker. Tight composed section with that YEM funk. Not really a bad set, just kinda ok.

2001 - Nice, long intro. Always liked this tandem to kick off the set. Usually, these two are not the best on tape, but these are both high energy versions. Do you feel?!

Sand - One of the best versions for Phish. Quite progressive (as progressive as it can get) and keeps the crowd ragin'.

Horse/Silent - Making up for Providence with a) A Horse and b) a well played Silent.

Possum - Botch the big drop from the intro badly. Your typical Possum jam ensues.

Mike's - I like when Trey skips the loop and just shrages straight out the gate. Meaty version. Brief DEG tease by Trey ~4:50...

Simple - I give this one a "Good" rating.

Week - Trey's fishing a bit for notes. Nice segue >>>

Bill - Only appearance of '99. Back into >>>

Week - A little Norwegian Wood tease.

Ya Mar - First time as an encore since 06-06-1996 (and last.)

Monkey - I guess it's a fitting closer for this Tour...

Anyway, the 2001 > Sand is hot.
I give this one a solid B.
a

ghost_2000

This show has its lulls, but I don't see how 12-17 is any any better.

This "YEM" is among my top-5.  Hot jam!

G. Augusto

Quote from: ghost_2000 on December 09, 2008, 10:04:59 PM

You're not in the club!
SCRAM!

Mr Minor

Quote from: G. Augusto on December 10, 2008, 06:04:27 AM
Quote from: ghost_2000 on December 09, 2008, 10:04:59 PM

You're not in the club!
SCRAM!