News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R6/W02: 07-16-1998 The Gorge Ampitheatre, George, WA

Started by G. Augusto, December 14, 2008, 05:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

Truly an underrated show.
Miles away from the Tour opener the night before and the spaced-out second set from the next night, this show seems to get the lost in the shuffle.
A perfect Summertime vibe is what you'll get here.

QuotePhish
1998-07-16
The Gorge
George, WA

Source: Schoeps cmc6 + mk4 > Lunatec V2 > Tascam DA-P1 (16bit/48kHz)
Taper: Unknown

Transfer: DAT (clone) > Tascam DA-20mkII > coax > TC Electronic Konnekt8 > firewire > WaveLab (16bit/48kHz) > CD Wave > FLAC (level 8)

Unprocessed 16/48 FLACs archived.

Processing performed in WaveLab:
DC Offset removed (Left Chan: -0.005%, Right Chan: 0.004%).
Fades at beg. & end of each set.
Resample to 16bit/44.1kHz.
Tracking & FLAC conversion via CDWave.

Transfer by rowjimmy - 2007-05-12

Set 1
Disc 1
01 Tuning
02 The Squirming Coil
03 NICU
04 Stash
05 Reba >
06 Fast Enough for You >
07 When the Circus Comes To Town
08 Run Like An Antelope

Set 2
Disc 2

01 Tuning
02 Julius
03 The Moma Dance >
04 Piper
05 Axilla >
06 David Bowie
07 Tube
08 Slave to the Traffic Light

Encore:
09 Sample in a Jar

--Although the encore is listed as Disc 2, Track 9; it must be appended to the end of Disc 1 in order for the show to fit on 2 Audio discs.

Stash included a Manteca tease.
Trey's mic goes out at the end of Tube.

Lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=520947

Lossy:
http://www.mediafire.com/?drjzzd4wbmm
http://www.mediafire.com/?3om5ko34e2m

Enjoy.
a

Submitted Reviews

Ytown
August
Birdman
Declan
Khalpin
Blatboom
Mandi
Mr. Minor
Mirthbeatenworker

jedifunk

i love this show!

reba > fast enough is the shit!  my FAVORITE reba EVER!

and the tube in the 2nd is all funked up
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

G. Augusto

Quote from: jedifunk on December 14, 2008, 05:13:22 PM
i love this show!

reba > fast enough is the shit!  my FAVORITE reba EVER!

and the tube in the 2nd is all funked up

Funkiest Reba EVAR!
Set 1 just exudes Summer...

Bobafett

exudes...good word d00d.  I am a huge fan of the summery feel of this one...i can just picture the beautiful sunset as they were starting stash...i gotta see the Phish at the gorge.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

birdman

Is it week 2 already?
Man, Ive got to get my shit in gear.
Paug FTMFW!

VA $l!m

nice!
i was just listening to the first set of the second night yesterday.
i had a blast at both of these shows.
this was the nite i hung out with mike gordon before the show i believe.
then i ended up eating to much ganja food and pharmies in the lot after the show and blacked/ passed out in the middle of the lot overnite...
good times!
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

birdman

Quote from: VA slim on December 15, 2008, 06:04:44 PM
nice!
i was just listening to the first set of the second night yesterday.
i had a blast at both of these shows.
this was the nite i hung out with mike gordon before the show i believe.
then i ended up eating to much ganja food and pharmies in the lot after the show and blacked/ passed out in the middle of the lot overnite...
good times!
Hippy
Paug FTMFW!

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

G. Augusto

The Tour opener in Portland always seemed sloppy and slapped together, IMO.
This show has such a relaxed feel, that it almost seems like a completely different band was up there this night.

Coil - Only the 3rd time (and last) that it was used as a show opener. Mike gets lost early on for for a bit. I like the tempo of this version. It DEF sets the mood for the first set. Trey was virtually flawless on his parts.

NiCU - Keeping up with the Summer vibe.

Stash - BAM. Nice composed section. A solid jam with nothing too flashy ensues. The last few minutes of the jam gets quite radical.

Reba - Double M=BAM! While some of the composed sections are less than perfect, this version is still one of the best and most unique. I like how the first half of the jam is just straight, funky comping. I gets down to this. A typical Reba jam follows which is then followed by Trey throwing out some loops for him to get funky over. This one fades out perfectly into >>>

FEFY - Perfect placement, IMO. Trey is fishing for notes during his solo, but doesn't hit and big clunkers. A sweet segue into >>>

Circus - Again, really nice placement. You can just feel how relaxed the band is. It really works well here.

Antelope - Trippy intro. Pretty ripping version, actually. Trey, Mike and Page all take solos during the outro section. IMO, a perfect Summer first set.

Julius - Trey carefully chooses his notes for the jam. This one is more laid back than usual. This one is a great continuation of the first set mood.

Moma - UH! Nice and slow, Doggie....EXTRA thickness (girth) abound. Girthitude. Just straight chunk and funk.
\
Piper - Short version with the band nailing the outro change.

Axilla - Pick it up! With II ending. Melts into >>>

Bowie - 4:30 intro. I *LUV* how Trey drops the loop at the beginning of the jam. After a while, they take the jam into hyper-mode with Trey SER tearing shitz up before the final key change section. I dig this one a bunch.

Tube - Mike = GIRTHITUDE. There is a major key jam for a bit with more Mike! He throws in a similar line to the 12-29-1997 version. Vicious Start/Stop! Trey's mic goes out during the last few verses.

Slave - Solid version. A perfect cap to this kick-back night.

Sample - Who cares at this point?

Truly an underrated show.
I give it a solid A.
A

mbw

hope this guy knew what he was doing on the transfer :-P

it will be fun listening to an uber summer show during the snow storm tonight!

G. Augusto

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 16, 2008, 08:06:39 PM

Best way to do it!
a

Declan

Quote from: G. Augusto on December 16, 2008, 08:11:28 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on December 16, 2008, 08:06:39 PM

Best way to do it!
a
:beers:

for snowstorm  :evil:

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

khalpin

Squirming Coil: Only the third time ever as a show opener and only the second time since '90.  Played slower than usual.  Nice outro.

NICU: Good summertime, sun-setting lawn-dancing.

Stash: Here's some early meat. Nice jam.  A bit reserved at first but gets pretty hot eventually.

Reba: Back to back goodness.  In the first set, nonetheless.  Had a little trouble in the beginning of the middle section, but they recover nicely in the second half of the composed section.  Sweet floating jam.  Trey uses the wah pedal nicely for a stretch there in the beginning. 

FEFY: What'd you expect after those two?  Tweezer?  Anyway, bathroom break for me.

Circus: Make that a long bathroom break.

Antelope: Some bends by Trey early.  Pretty cool actually.  Great jam.  Trey's on fire ~8:00.  Wish I could do that.  Intense peak.  Very good version.

Solid set.  A minor lull towards the end, but it lasts less than 10 minutes.  Nothing to complain about.

Julius: A good way to kick off any set.

Moma: Residual '97 funk.  Pretty standard Moma.

Piper: Quick, no frills version.  I actually prefer it that way.

Axilla: A nice boost of energy.  Gotta love the part II ending, too.

Bowie: Awesome!  Totally loved this.  Had me hook, line and sinker.  Solid composed section.  The jam develops very gradually, but steady.  Then at ~14:30 it goes into double time and completely takes off.

Tube: The vocals seem a bit odd on this one.  Almost like Trey's not very into it. The jam takes a minute or two to get going, but the funk comes.  Some start/stop jamming thrown in for good measure.  Quality Tube jam.  Trey forgets some lyrics at the end.

Slave: Wow!  Trifecta to close out the set.  Solid version.

Sample: Oh well, you can't really complain after that set, though.

All in all a great show.  With a handful of well-jammed songs and no real downers, this one's very easy to listen to.  The Antelope and the Bowie were the high points for me.  Solid A.

Declan

and fyi, the mediafire links are backwards... had me thinking set 2 was set 1  :frustrated:
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

mbw

Coil – cool as an opener, trey is def locked in, short but sweet ending

NICU – some great playing by page, very summery

Stash – tight version, the band is seriously hooked up tonight....even though ive never been, I can picture the sun setting over the gorge during this jam

Reba – monster reba, super chill, mike is thumpin

FEFY – sweet coming out of the Reba, page and trey solo the crap outta this

Circus – great segue frm fast enough....i love this tune, fits this summer set perfectly

Antelope - smoking antelope, with mike again the standout imo, great ending to a great set

II

Julius - nother summer tune, rocked heavily, love it as a set opener

Moma - slow and funky as hell....mike keeps up the good work tonight

Piper - played rather flawlessly, great build

Axilla - love to hear 1, but 2 would have fit the summer vibe a little more, melts into...

Bowie - my fav rhythm section ever kills it once again

Tube - played a little slower than usual, some intense looping from trey, loved it

Slave - not a huge slave fan, but t works great as a show closer, and this version is pretty tight

E

Sample - think i heard crickets during the opening chords, standard stuff

Great show!  Either i liked the first set better, or i was just a little more drunkerer listening to it.  Pure summer as promised.

A-