News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish.com - From the Road - 2009 [Hampton Shows] ***SPOILER ALERT***

Started by twatts, March 06, 2009, 06:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

I'm listening to the second night now, really dug the slightly extended GBOTT groovy stuff right there.

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but they somehow made B&R less effective in concert last night.  
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

thechad

Quote from: bvaz on March 08, 2009, 10:14:04 PM
Quote from: blastoplast on March 08, 2009, 10:10:50 PM
Quote from: bvaz on March 08, 2009, 10:09:28 PM
us took the lead in the wbc

I have no idea what that means.
world baseball classic.  united states is playing venezuela.  scored 6 runs so far in the 6th and are winning 8-3

And Youklis just hit a 2 run homer.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

nab

Quote from: Hicks on March 08, 2009, 10:17:27 PM
I'm listening to the second night now, really dug the slightly extended GBOTT groovy stuff right there.

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but they somehow made B&R less effective in concert last night.  

I'll say it again, I really dug the Ghost>Piper>Birds, especially the transition between Piper and Birds

Wolfmansbrother

good song. poorly placed.

Ri©h

justjezmund

On second night as well just finished the piper-> birds sick segue
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

blastoplast

If you listen too closely to the sound, you might miss the music.  -Jim Henson

nab

Quote from: Jezmund420 on March 08, 2009, 10:19:13 PM
Quote from: nab on March 08, 2009, 10:18:40 PM

I'll say it again, I really dug the Ghost>Piper>Birds, especially the transition between Piper and Birds

:beers:

drvinestein

Quote from: Jezmund420 on March 08, 2009, 10:19:13 PM

Yeah, I really liked that one.

Come on opener...  I gotta go to bed!

Hicks

Quote from: Wolfmansbrother on March 08, 2009, 10:19:03 PM

Taking Trey's feedback out of the song makes no sense, suddenly its a song named after Brian Eno and Robert Fripp that has none of their aesthetic.  
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Ri©h

nab

Quote from: Hicks on March 08, 2009, 10:20:45 PM
Quote from: Wolfmansbrother on March 08, 2009, 10:19:03 PM

Taking Trey's feedback out of the song makes no sense, suddenly its a song named after Brian Eno and Robert Fripp that has none of their aesthetic.  

I agree with you here, loss of the feedback is lame.

Gumbo72203

jesus fucking christ people.  Wow...  if i didn't know any better, I'd say some of you are bitter as all shit that you couldn't see any of the shows.

I can't believe the negativity about these shows.  No jamming?  How about you go check out some 80's Phish, or even shit up to 92, when Bowie was NORMALLY only 10 minutes.  

Goes to show what being there does to your perspective...  I couldn't fucking believe that Wolfman's was only like 8 minutes.  It was the perfect length, live.  

And this talk of no ferociousness or fire is just flat out wrong.  I'm sorry.  You're all looking in the wrong places.  GBOTT was DANK.  Trey tore that shit up real good.  Fucking Split Open and Melt drove that place into the ground, and Antelope made shit fucking explode.  

These shows are very, very odd, in my opinion.  They're messing things up that don't normally get messed up, yet they nail Asse Festival and Reba.  I have yet to listen to the shows, but I was quite clear-headed enough to accurately judge the music's execution.

Overall...  I have to say I am disappointed, because that NYTimes article was very misleading, in terms of being the hyper-practiced version of themselves.  They certainly aren't PH all over again, but they most certainly could be tighter.

HOWEVER, and this is the point I think pretty much all of you naysayers out there are completely missing, LOOK AT ALL THE FUCKING SONGS THEY RELEARNED!  Are you fucking kidding me?

Okay...  in 1995, they had been playing all of the most complicated shit like YEM, Bowie, Reba, Fluffhead, Divided Sky, Rift, etc etc etc practically NON-STOP for fucking like...  nearly 10 years.  Okay.  So for them to try to get back all this shit in like, what...  6 months?  I'd say they did a god-damn motherfucking good job.

Lets see you do it.  Yeah, they're Phish, and *cue sarcastic voice* "they're suppoooosed to do it," but they're fucking human, and fallible, just like you and me.  

So, combine having to relearn a life-time's worth of compli-fucking-cated music, the excitement of the situation, and then the pressure and nerves of having to actually execute all of this, then I'd say they're doing a goddamn good job.

No, I am not completely satisfied with the music.  I thought Piper was outright lame, Ghost was disappointing at first, Mike's was...  odd, and not great, and Reba was a fairly life-less jam, but if you could have seen them pretty much nail so many pieces of music, in time with the lights, then your attitude would be entirely different.  

But overall, I think they're trying too hard, and thats whats making them miss.  But thats a GOOD THING.  Can't you see that?  They're setting the bar impossibly high, SO THAT THEY'LL EVENTUALLY REACH IT.  

Would you seriously have rathered them drop a 20 minute Piper into a 30 minute Ghost, followed by a 30 minute Tweezer, play Bouncin, then play a 20 minute Gin, to take up as much time, but leave only a fraction of that time to actually composed music?  Thats what they did PH, and I thought you all hated it...

Sorry if this is all harsh, but you people really need to give them a fucking break, and consider the entirety of their situation.  They have lives.  They can't dedicate every waking second of their lives to making sure they were as tight as Fall '95.  

and Page is the leader of the band right now.  Fish has been the weakest.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy