News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish.com - From the Road - 2009 [Hampton Shows] ***SPOILER ALERT***

Started by twatts, March 06, 2009, 06:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Caravan2001

I rocked the floow all three nights, cept for the beginning of the second set, when I kicked it with Slim, Gumbo, Bird and RJ at their seats until Tweezer ended....I love the floor at Hampton, right next to the soundboard.  We were standing next to Peter Fricke of Rolling Stone the first two nights.  Hew as getting down!  I really love the floow, you can make so much space, andn we had a group of around 20, so getting that many seats when people come  in at different times is impossible.  I did get hit in the dome with a glowstick, but that's par for the course....I have not read this thread, but I will say that I thought all the shows were great, with Saturday being my favorite.  They just kicked down.  My shirt was completely soaked by the end of Heavy Things.  I also got to hang with some of my buds that work for the band and found out these interesting tidbits- If they have been discussed on this 100 page thread, I apologize:

1.  Page's Keytar is from James Brown's band and they bought it at auction.  It weighs about 45 punds and is made by Moog.  I knew they were going to bust it out at Hampton for a while, but did not know which night.  My friend played it and said it was bad ass.

2. The band sent Grind to a professional barber shop quartet arranger, and he came up with the new arrangement for them.

3.  Trey is back to using the Mesa Boogie and original cabinet for his lead tones, and switches back to the Fender Deluxe for rhythm. Sounded sick to me!  The boogie is stashed behind the Fender rig.

4.  Phish was approached for a song for the new Guitar Hero, but the only song they would send over was a 20 minute YEM, and the GH people said no way, 5 minutes tops, so they bagged it.

Anyway, I though the band was on fire, and exceeded my wildest expectations.  I count these shows at the top of shows I have seen, and way better than 90% of all PH shows.  Just really consistent and strong playing with good energy.  Sure there were some flubs, but who cares.  The fact that Piper got so out of control that it flew off the tracks and crashed is awesome to me.  It means they were taking chances and letting it all hang out.  One of the best 3 show stands I have ever seen!

shoreline99

Quote from: caravan2001 on March 09, 2009, 10:19:32 PM
4.  Phish was approached for a song for the new Guitar Hero, but the only song they would send over was a 20 minute YEM, and the GH people said no way, 5 minutes tops, so they bagged it.

:clap:
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Hicks

One of the best 3 show stands I have ever seen!

You can only say that because you bailed on 4/4/98!   :wink:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on March 09, 2009, 10:24:19 PM

au contrair.....technically, the Island Tour was two 2 night stands.....

Here Comes The Joker

Long time lurker first time poster

Hey guys I am a longtime lurker here on the boards.  I have seen some negative vibes going around on other forums not so much here.  From what I have seen this board has a pretty healthy feel to it.  I followed the set list coming in last night on this form and RJ you rock. I am not a big poster but when I have something to say I put it out there. That being said I wanted to share my thoughts on this awesome weekend of music with this board because I feel it is an honest and open group from what I have read. I posted this on another site and just wanted to put it out there if you guys think I am off base, I appreciate the conversation that goes on here unlike that other board. It is some what long winded thanks for the time.  I hope to share my thoughts on the music more in the future.

I didn't have the fortunate experience to be in Hampton this weekend though I tried mightily (Friday was my birthday) I think I will kick myself for a long time for not parting with the cash to go.  I consider myself to have a bachelor's degree in phish and by no means an advanced degree, but I think I can appreciate where some the people are coming from and that are just jumping on the train.  I remember when I jumped on in 96 (the m show) I was expecting to hear what I had expected to hear on tapes from 94 and 95 that is by no means what I got. It was still far and away one of the best nights of my life. Then as I saw more shows over the course of 97, as anyone can attest, was a lot different for what I had expected to hear when I listened to those 94 and 95 tapes hell even 96. I walked out of a few of those 97 shows feeling show somewhat jaded because it wasn't what I thought I was going to get.  12 years later I treasure those recordings as some of my favorites and love them more now then I when I actually got to experience it.
I think the most important thing I have learned from listening to phish is to let expectations go out the window.  The minute you think you know what you are going to get it to they throw you out the window with the bath water.  

So I guess where I was going with all this is I have listened to all three shows in different formats over the last three days from the SBD's to the AUD's and I can say I think I heard something in the music that I hadn't heard before, go figure with these guys. The only word that comes to mind is purpose; I heard a purpose in what kind of band we may see grow in version 3.0.   If you will go with me for a moment I think there is a vision they have for what they can be as this new band.  I think there is a desire to be both the tight change hitting machine of 93 and 94 coupled with the loose groove machine of the late 90's. I hear a commitment to getting to the point.  Take Gin from last night a ten minute Gin, by comparisons to the 20 minute Gin's of the later 90's one might scoff but after listening I hear something different.  They took us where they wanted to go right out of the gates.  We love this band for those incendiary moments that make the hairs on the back of are neck stand and we lose are place in the world for just a few moments.  I loved every minute of what I heard come out of the mother ship this weekend. This is a band that is striving to be a tight well rehearsed unit while regaining that improv charm that keeps us coming back.  So for all the new and old alike if this weekend wasn't what you were expecting(for some I think Hampton Coliseum still standing is a let down) give it time,, if  there is one thing the last 13 years have taught me is this band will keep

cleech74

"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

Hicks

Quote from: caravan2001 on March 09, 2009, 10:42:43 PM
Quote from: Hicks on March 09, 2009, 10:24:19 PM

au contrair.....technically, the Island Tour was two 2 night stands.....

You got me there, fine deny me the right to take out my feelings of envy!   :-D
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Wolfmansbrother

Hicks

Quote from: Wolfmansbrother on March 09, 2009, 10:58:00 PM
Man the ghost from saturday night is-----> :banana:

hmmm, that's funny I was thinking earlier that it's one of the weaker versions they've ever played.  Not trying to be negative but the flubs at the peak were pretty painful for me.

Poster Nutbag

Just breifing through some of these tunes and Tube, Free and Bathtub are tight as hell!!!
and that Undermind rips!!!  :banana:
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

jephrey

Yeah, welcome to the board Joker, hope to hear more from you!  

To sum up my feelings on Phish 3.0 I'd use the statement, "Sometimes, you have to take a step back to take a step forward."  I think they slowed things down and are allowing themselves to develop and re-develop.  Taking 2.0 songs back to square 1 and taking back the old songs one notch so they can almost start a new evolutionary life.  I really feel good about this go around.  I hope they enjoyed themselves, because I sure did.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on March 09, 2009, 11:26:33 PM
Quote from: Wolfmansbrother on March 09, 2009, 10:58:00 PM
Man the ghost from saturday night is-----> :banana:

hmmm, that's funny I was thinking earlier that it's one of the weaker versions they've ever played.  Not trying to be negative but the flubs at the peak were pretty painful for me.

yeah, but they pulled it back on track...I mean these shows were not without warts, but the overall vibe was rocking.  The Ghost thing was weird, I still have not heard it on tape, but they turned it around in the show and got back to rocking.  I try to not let those things bother me....Same with the YEM botch....they still did a decent job, and the YEM peak was money.  The vocal jam was the YEM highlight though believe it  or not.  The lights were insane!

Caravan2001

Quote from: Here Comes The Joker on March 09, 2009, 10:44:14 PM
Long time lurker first time poster

Hey guys I am a longtime lurker here on the boards.  I have seen some negative vibes going around on other forums not so much here.  From what I have seen this board has a pretty healthy feel to it.  I followed the set list coming in last night on this form and RJ you rock. I am not a big poster but when I have something to say I put it out there. That being said I wanted to share my thoughts on this awesome weekend of music with this board because I feel it is an honest and open group from what I have read. I posted this on another site and just wanted to put it out there if you guys think I am off base, I appreciate the conversation that goes on here unlike that other board. It is some what long winded thanks for the time.  I hope to share my thoughts on the music more in the future.

I didn't have the fortunate experience to be in Hampton this weekend though I tried mightily (Friday was my birthday) I think I will kick myself for a long time for not parting with the cash to go.  I consider myself to have a bachelor's degree in phish and by no means an advanced degree, but I think I can appreciate where some the people are coming from and that are just jumping on the train.  I remember when I jumped on in 96 (the m show) I was expecting to hear what I had expected to hear on tapes from 94 and 95 that is by no means what I got. It was still far and away one of the best nights of my life. Then as I saw more shows over the course of 97, as anyone can attest, was a lot different for what I had expected to hear when I listened to those 94 and 95 tapes hell even 96. I walked out of a few of those 97 shows feeling show somewhat jaded because it wasn't what I thought I was going to get.  12 years later I treasure those recordings as some of my favorites and love them more now then I when I actually got to experience it.
I think the most important thing I have learned from listening to phish is to let expectations go out the window.  The minute you think you know what you are going to get it to they throw you out the window with the bath water.  

So I guess where I was going with all this is I have listened to all three shows in different formats over the last three days from the SBD's to the AUD's and I can say I think I heard something in the music that I hadn't heard before, go figure with these guys. The only word that comes to mind is purpose; I heard a purpose in what kind of band we may see grow in version 3.0.   If you will go with me for a moment I think there is a vision they have for what they can be as this new band.  I think there is a desire to be both the tight change hitting machine of 93 and 94 coupled with the loose groove machine of the late 90's. I hear a commitment to getting to the point.  Take Gin from last night a ten minute Gin, by comparisons to the 20 minute Gin's of the later 90's one might scoff but after listening I hear something different.  They took us where they wanted to go right out of the gates.  We love this band for those incendiary moments that make the hairs on the back of are neck stand and we lose are place in the world for just a few moments.  I loved every minute of what I heard come out of the mother ship this weekend. This is a band that is striving to be a tight well rehearsed unit while regaining that improv charm that keeps us coming back.  So for all the new and old alike if this weekend wasn't what you were expecting(for some I think Hampton Coliseum still standing is a let down) give it time,, if  there is one thing the last 13 years have taught me is this band will keep
Welcome to the board....sweet avatar!

blatboom

I rocked the floow all three nights, cept for the beginning of the second set, when I kicked it with Slim, Gumbo, Bird and RJ at their seats until Tweezer ended....I love the floor at Hampton, right next to the soundboard.  We were standing next to Peter Fricke of Rolling Stone the first two nights.  Hew as getting down!  I really love the floow, you can make so much space, andn we had a group of around 20, so getting that many seats when people come  in at different times is impossible.  I did get hit in the dome with a glowstick, but that's par for the course....I have not read this thread, but I will say that I thought all the shows were great, with Saturday being my favorite.  They just kicked down.  My shirt was completely soaked by the end of Heavy Things.  I also got to hang with some of my buds that work for the band and found out these interesting tidbits- If they have been discussed on this 100 page thread, I apologize:

1.  Page's Keytar is from James Brown's band and they bought it at auction.  It weighs about 45 punds and is made by Moog.  I knew they were going to bust it out at Hampton for a while, but did not know which night.  My friend played it and said it was bad ass.

2. The band sent Grind to a professional barber shop quartet arranger, and he came up with the new arrangement for them.

3.  Trey is back to using the Mesa Boogie and original cabinet for his lead tones, and switches back to the Fender Deluxe for rhythm. Sounded sick to me!  The boogie is stashed behind the Fender rig.

Anyway, I though the band was on fire, and exceeded my wildest expectations.  I count these shows at the top of shows I have seen, and way better than 90% of all PH shows.  Just really consistent and strong playing with good energy.  Sure there were some flubs, but who cares.  The fact that Piper got so out of control that it flew off the tracks and crashed is awesome to me.  It means they were taking chances and letting it all hang out.  One of the best 3 show stands I have ever seen!

nice write up!
there seems to be a lot of differing opinions about this run and that's alright