News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish.com - From the Road - 2009 [Hampton Shows] ***SPOILER ALERT***

Started by twatts, March 06, 2009, 06:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Page bought that Keytar at the James Brown auction last year (or the year before?)

StCarl

Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

Mr Minor

I posted it already, but that Frankenstein was badass.  Straight up ass kickin' bitch slapping rock.

Caravan2001

rowjimmy

I've been reading this entire thread over the past couple days. Lots of fun/funny/ridiculous stuff was posted during the shows.

This post here, is gold. Absolutely bang on from Gumbo. Nice work, dude. (page 108 if you're looking for context.)

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on March 08, 2009, 10:22:00 PM
jesus fucking christ people.  Wow...  if i didn't know any better, I'd say some of you are bitter as all shit that you couldn't see any of the shows.

I can't believe the negativity about these shows.  No jamming?  How about you go check out some 80's Phish, or even shit up to 92, when Bowie was NORMALLY only 10 minutes.  

Goes to show what being there does to your perspective...  I couldn't fucking believe that Wolfman's was only like 8 minutes.  It was the perfect length, live.  

And this talk of no ferociousness or fire is just flat out wrong.  I'm sorry.  You're all looking in the wrong places.  GBOTT was DANK.  Trey tore that shit up real good.  Fucking Split Open and Melt drove that place into the ground, and Antelope made shit fucking explode.  

These shows are very, very odd, in my opinion.  They're messing things up that don't normally get messed up, yet they nail Asse Festival and Reba.  I have yet to listen to the shows, but I was quite clear-headed enough to accurately judge the music's execution.

Overall...  I have to say I am disappointed, because that NYTimes article was very misleading, in terms of being the hyper-practiced version of themselves.  They certainly aren't PH all over again, but they most certainly could be tighter.

HOWEVER, and this is the point I think pretty much all of you naysayers out there are completely missing, LOOK AT ALL THE FUCKING SONGS THEY RELEARNED!  Are you fucking kidding me?

Okay...  in 1995, they had been playing all of the most complicated shit like YEM, Bowie, Reba, Fluffhead, Divided Sky, Rift, etc etc etc practically NON-STOP for fucking like...  nearly 10 years.  Okay.  So for them to try to get back all this shit in like, what...  6 months?  I'd say they did a god-damn motherfucking good job.

Lets see you do it.  Yeah, they're Phish, and *cue sarcastic voice* "they're suppoooosed to do it," but they're fucking human, and fallible, just like you and me.  

So, combine having to relearn a life-time's worth of compli-fucking-cated music, the excitement of the situation, and then the pressure and nerves of having to actually execute all of this, then I'd say they're doing a goddamn good job.

No, I am not completely satisfied with the music.  I thought Piper was outright lame, Ghost was disappointing at first, Mike's was...  odd, and not great, and Reba was a fairly life-less jam, but if you could have seen them pretty much nail so many pieces of music, in time with the lights, then your attitude would be entirely different.  

But overall, I think they're trying too hard, and thats whats making them miss.  But thats a GOOD THING.  Can't you see that?  They're setting the bar impossibly high, SO THAT THEY'LL EVENTUALLY REACH IT.  

Would you seriously have rathered them drop a 20 minute Piper into a 30 minute Ghost, followed by a 30 minute Tweezer, play Bouncin, then play a 20 minute Gin, to take up as much time, but leave only a fraction of that time to actually composed music?  Thats what they did PH, and I thought you all hated it...

Sorry if this is all harsh, but you people really need to give them a fucking break, and consider the entirety of their situation.  They have lives.  They can't dedicate every waking second of their lives to making sure they were as tight as Fall '95.  

and Page is the leader of the band right now.  Fish has been the weakest.

blatboom

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 12, 2009, 09:43:29 AM
I've been reading this entire thread over the past couple days. Lots of fun/funny/ridiculous stuff was posted during the shows.

This post here, is gold. Absolutely bang on from Gumbo. Nice work, dude. (page 108 if you're looking for context.)

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on March 08, 2009, 10:22:00 PM
jesus fucking christ people.  Wow...  if i didn't know any better, I'd say some of you are bitter as all shit that you couldn't see any of the shows.

I can't believe the negativity about these shows.  No jamming?  How about you go check out some 80's Phish, or even shit up to 92, when Bowie was NORMALLY only 10 minutes.  

Goes to show what being there does to your perspective...  I couldn't fucking believe that Wolfman's was only like 8 minutes.  It was the perfect length, live.  

And this talk of no ferociousness or fire is just flat out wrong.  I'm sorry.  You're all looking in the wrong places.  GBOTT was DANK.  Trey tore that shit up real good.  Fucking Split Open and Melt drove that place into the ground, and Antelope made shit fucking explode.  

These shows are very, very odd, in my opinion.  They're messing things up that don't normally get messed up, yet they nail Asse Festival and Reba.  I have yet to listen to the shows, but I was quite clear-headed enough to accurately judge the music's execution.

Overall...  I have to say I am disappointed, because that NYTimes article was very misleading, in terms of being the hyper-practiced version of themselves.  They certainly aren't PH all over again, but they most certainly could be tighter.

HOWEVER, and this is the point I think pretty much all of you naysayers out there are completely missing, LOOK AT ALL THE FUCKING SONGS THEY RELEARNED!  Are you fucking kidding me?

Okay...  in 1995, they had been playing all of the most complicated shit like YEM, Bowie, Reba, Fluffhead, Divided Sky, Rift, etc etc etc practically NON-STOP for fucking like...  nearly 10 years.  Okay.  So for them to try to get back all this shit in like, what...  6 months?  I'd say they did a god-damn motherfucking good job.

Lets see you do it.  Yeah, they're Phish, and *cue sarcastic voice* "they're suppoooosed to do it," but they're fucking human, and fallible, just like you and me.  

So, combine having to relearn a life-time's worth of compli-fucking-cated music, the excitement of the situation, and then the pressure and nerves of having to actually execute all of this, then I'd say they're doing a goddamn good job.

No, I am not completely satisfied with the music.  I thought Piper was outright lame, Ghost was disappointing at first, Mike's was...  odd, and not great, and Reba was a fairly life-less jam, but if you could have seen them pretty much nail so many pieces of music, in time with the lights, then your attitude would be entirely different.  

But overall, I think they're trying too hard, and thats whats making them miss.  But thats a GOOD THING.  Can't you see that?  They're setting the bar impossibly high, SO THAT THEY'LL EVENTUALLY REACH IT.  

Would you seriously have rathered them drop a 20 minute Piper into a 30 minute Ghost, followed by a 30 minute Tweezer, play Bouncin, then play a 20 minute Gin, to take up as much time, but leave only a fraction of that time to actually composed music?  Thats what they did PH, and I thought you all hated it...

Sorry if this is all harsh, but you people really need to give them a fucking break, and consider the entirety of their situation.  They have lives.  They can't dedicate every waking second of their lives to making sure they were as tight as Fall '95.  

and Page is the leader of the band right now.  Fish has been the weakest.

:-o
Gumbo'd

thanks for posting that, I've been reluctant to try to wade through that thread as of yet.

rowjimmy

This follow up is pretty awesome, too. (page 110)

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on March 08, 2009, 10:32:58 PM
Quote from: Hicks on March 08, 2009, 10:27:58 PM
Gumbo, I couldn't focus to read that entire post, but the parts I did skim I would tend to agree with, folks gotta be patient.  They'll get there, the dedication is obvious, but they're not gonna just bust out with a jam like the 12/31/95 Weekapaug, or even the 7/30/03 Scents right out of the gate, they have to develop that a little after almost five years.  

I'd say these shows show that the potential is there for a very good Phish, but it's going to be a building type thing again.  

And yeah Fish does seem a bit behind and Page is ruling.  Mike isn't stepping up either, but I can kind of understand that since maybe he wants to give the other guys a chance before he starts pwning jams again.  

yeah, EXACTLY.  People who aren't at the shows are erroneously projecting the characteristics of whatever Phish they've been listening to lately onto 3.0, so OF COURSE they aren't going to measure up.  Its human nature though...  they haven't given themselves any room to create a new perspective on the band.  Their memories and past experiences are clouding their judgement.

The thing is, though, is that these jams are the PERFECT length.  Except Halley's and Gumbo.  That was pretty lame...  but regardless...  they're all perfect length.  GBOTT felt like it was going on FOREVER.  and to realize that Wolfmans was only fucking 8 minutes...  that was weird.  

I'm listening to Fluffhead now, and they pretty fucking nailed it.  

redrum

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 12, 2009, 09:55:26 AM
This follow up is pretty awesome, too. (page 110)

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on March 08, 2009, 10:32:58 PM
Quote from: Hicks on March 08, 2009, 10:27:58 PM
Gumbo, I couldn't focus to read that entire post, but the parts I did skim I would tend to agree with, folks gotta be patient.  They'll get there, the dedication is obvious, but they're not gonna just bust out with a jam like the 12/31/95 Weekapaug, or even the 7/30/03 Scents right out of the gate, they have to develop that a little after almost five years.  

I'd say these shows show that the potential is there for a very good Phish, but it's going to be a building type thing again.  

And yeah Fish does seem a bit behind and Page is ruling.  Mike isn't stepping up either, but I can kind of understand that since maybe he wants to give the other guys a chance before he starts pwning jams again.  

yeah, EXACTLY.  People who aren't at the shows are erroneously projecting the characteristics of whatever Phish they've been listening to lately onto 3.0, so OF COURSE they aren't going to measure up.  Its human nature though...  they haven't given themselves any room to create a new perspective on the band.  Their memories and past experiences are clouding their judgement.

The thing is, though, is that these jams are the PERFECT length.  Except Halley's and Gumbo.  That was pretty lame...  but regardless...  they're all perfect length.  GBOTT felt like it was going on FOREVER.  and to realize that Wolfmans was only fucking 8 minutes...  that was weird.  

I'm listening to Fluffhead now, and they pretty fucking nailed it.  

This is why I only listened to Coventry over and over and over again in the weeks leading up to the show. That way I'd know things could only get better...

j/k, I was never even able to make it through those shows once. Spot on Gumbo, +k
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

rowjimmy

So, I finished reading this entire thread.
It's worth the effort if you weren't a part of it at the time. there's some hilarious stuff afoot at times. Esp. the BTTF riff on page 81.

Big ups to all the home-bound crew who were playing along and compiling my posts into coherent setlists.

birdman

I'm about 25 pages deep, thru night 1, anyway.

It's fun getting to experience the nights from a different perspective.
Im sure I'll find out what it's like later this summer.
Paug FTMFW!

Play_It_Leo

I made it through the first 40 or 45 pages and really enjoyed it. At some point I definitely want to go back and read more. Sounds like a blast, and made me even more excited for the shows I'm not even going to this summer.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

nab

Quote from: birdman on March 12, 2009, 11:48:01 AM

This weekend was good times at the 'paug.  Like I stated earlier though, my wife definitely did not "get it".

Hicks

Quote from: nab on March 12, 2009, 12:12:24 PM

This weekend was good times at the 'paug.  Like I stated earlier though, my wife definitely did not "get it".

:lol:  Yeah it's a good thing they are doing short runs, because there is no way my wife will put up with that sort of behavior for weeks on end! 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

nab

Quote from: Hicks on March 12, 2009, 12:13:19 PM
Quote from: nab on March 12, 2009, 12:12:24 PM

:lol:  Yeah it's a good thing they are doing short runs, because there is no way my wife will put up with that sort of behavior for weeks on end! 

SER

With the CB set and last weekend happening last week I can scarcely mention  :phish: around here this week.

Edit:  At least the  :syf: sounds a lot better to her now.