News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Marmar on March 10, 2009, 10:16:50 AM

and for the record....I hope the folks who got my tix had a good time.....it feels good knowing that I didn't waste em, cuz I know if I had been there I wouldda left after the first night....

Sorry to keep harping on this one post, but here's the other point I'd like to make... Would you really have left after night one?!?!

For most of us, I bet, we are like season ticket-holders for our local NFL team. They go even when the team is having an off year (or decade for that matter). If they make the play-offs, even better. If not, oh well.

The excitement of the reunion shows at Hampton made them a bit like the play-offs. No way I would have missed any of it, even if night one was a flub-fest. I would have held onto hope that by night three they would have pulled it together. That they'd be underdogs by then would make me want it even more!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Phunkaddict

My favorite thing about phish is the jamming and some of my favorite sets are like 5 songs or less. That said, I'm a huge fan their music and love almost all of their songs. I was not at all disappointed by the lack of jamming lengths. This weekend was a triumphant return IMO. I was somewhere in the Page side front 1/4 of the floor for all eighty-some songs and the energy and emotion was remarkable.
:phish:
The only shows you could fairly compare these to are the Hampton 03 run... only they went almost twice as long without playing this time. IMO they show much more potential with these three shows than in 2003. They really had a greatest hits approach with the selection of songs, a little something for everyone - I loved not having to sit through all those bad Undermind songs, and the song Undermind ruled face. Really it was a lot like Hampton 98 with the monster first sets and little jamming. I felt like they were taking themselves seriously again, which will lead to amazing if they keep at it.
:phish:
It's pretty sad that people are down on these shows after performances like Foam, Guelah Papyrus, My Friend My Friend, It's Ice, SO&M, WMGGW...
And The Light Is Growing Brighter Now

jedifunk

who's down on these shows?  i get the feel that that's what people think about me... i certainly do NOT think these shows were bad.

i just question the overenthused "they're fucking back" mentality.. because when i listen, i feel they are lacking in certain areas that are critical to them "being back"

i've rocked the 3 shows every day since saturday morning... and i think they're great shows for what they are - a glimpse of the future of phish 3.0

but i don't think "they are fucking back"..... YET.

i fully expect them to jump to hyperspace come the summer
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Superfreakie

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 10, 2009, 10:27:07 AM
Exactly.
And the energy... it's fresher than a lot of 2000.

Energy wise, yes, but playing wise, I would take 2000 any day. But they will get there again.......and for this, I am happy.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Hicks

Quote from: jedifunk on March 10, 2009, 01:36:50 PM
who's down on these shows?  i get the feel that that's what people think about me... i certainly do NOT think these shows were bad.

i just question the overenthused "they're fucking back" mentality.. because when i listen, i feel they are lacking in certain areas that are critical to them "being back"

i've rocked the 3 shows every day since saturday morning... and i think they're great shows for what they are - a glimpse of the future of phish 3.0

100% agreed.  I think they are solid shows, but to term them as "amazing" is hyperbole to say the least, IMO.

For the record had I been there I have no doubt that I would have had the time of my life too. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

blatboom

so they're back, just not 'fucking back'

rowjimmy

Quote from: blatboom on March 10, 2009, 01:46:17 PM

Insert rude comment unbecoming of a moderator here.

Ri©h

Quote from: blatboom on March 10, 2009, 01:46:17 PM

:lol:

This thread is killing me.

Phunkaddict

Quote from: jedifunk on March 10, 2009, 01:36:50 PM

I have no idea why you think I was directing my comment at you... I think all of the points you have made are accurate. We usually see eye to eye on this stuff anyway. The vague use of the word "People" was directed at people that I know/ or met this weekend that love to hate on Phish.
And The Light Is Growing Brighter Now

Marmar

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 10, 2009, 10:32:06 AM
Quote from: Marmar on March 10, 2009, 10:16:50 AM

Seriously now...think about this.....Say some other huge band/group got back together after a long time away, and they played as (and I'm using the term loosely here) sloppy as these were (figuratively speeking compared to what we know they are capable of)......Ya, sure you're glad they're back and playing music, etc etc etc.....BUT.....

Here's what I think you are missing - The closest comparison I can think of for a "Big Band" to take several years off and then come back playing well without missing a single change or whatever would be Rush. They play complex music that is tight etc... but they also play the same set every night. They practice that set until it is memorized cold. They have never played 3 shows with no repeats in their entire career.

We're talking about basically a 7-set show if you add the encores... all of it was tight as hell. I am really not cutting them that much slack when I say the shows were freakin' stellar. I really think they were.

I dunno what flavor of nugs you been smokin.....but if THAT was stellar to your ears.....yikes.....

Oh?.....that's the only "big band" to take time off?.....Pink Floyd ring a bell?....k then.....Rolling Stones?.....umm.....ya....

And I think it is u who isn't lookin from my vantage point.....Think about how you'd feel goin to see Rush after 5 years and it was SLOPPY.....knowing damn well they have the ability (and the time) to do FAR better.....I don't care about the jams....anyone can jam....we know they can....what I'm interested in, is how well the composed parts will be.....THAT is what will show you if their heart is in it....IF their hearts are in it, they will want those parts to be PERFECT.....listen to the shit leading up to the breaks- hurry and rush thru the composed parts cuz they don't matter, so we can get to the jams and just hang out.....

Like I've stated, I'm not totally disappointed in what went down this weekend.....glad to hear Trey has his tone back, and also is awake the entire time actually playing (and TRYING to play)....kudos on the song selections, playing Phish instead of covers....kudos on taking those huge risks playin those complex songs, that's balls.......ya, I bet the atmosphere was awesome, as it always is at a show.....but once you strip all that away, what are you left with?

<rant> the writer of this opinion reserves the right to hold reservations about them being "back" until such significant proof is presented to provide proof that this opinion is just like an asshole....everyone's got one, some are just tighter than others...once they've proven to me that they are playing to play again, then my thoughts will change....till then, I'm holding out reservations.....I, like many others, have already been burned twice by these guys and I'm not about to get burned a 3rd time </rant>
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Ri©h

Quote from: Marmar on March 10, 2009, 02:24:20 PM

<rant> the writer of this opinion reserves the right to hold reservations about them being "back" until such significant proof is presented to provide proof that this opinion is just like an asshole....everyone's got one, some are just tighter than others...once they've proven to me that they are playing to play again, then my thoughts will change....till then, I'm holding out reservations.....I, like many others, have already been burned twice by these guys and I'm not about to get burned a 3rd time </rant>

When you have to post a disclaimer, you know this shit's gettin' serious.  :-o

blatboom

Marmar

lmao....that would make a GREAT lot shirt....

Phish 3.0
SER Bizness
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Mr Minor

Quote from: Mr Minor on March 08, 2009, 09:46:04 PM
I think we will need to give it some time before the monster jams reappear.  Let  :phish: get comfy again and things will grow out of these straight rocking versions.  Just like the early nineties, what followed were many years of jams that continually got better and better.

This was my thought on it all during the weekend, whilst listening to shows.

rowjimmy

They were smiling and laughing on stage.

That alone says something.

Hypercritical ears will find errors with any band.
Fuck it.

The music was good, not note perfect, but fun for everybody, including the band.