News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Hampton Source Discussion

Started by forbin1221, March 09, 2009, 06:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on April 01, 2009, 03:08:30 PM

When I hear AUDs, a lot of the time I hear weird phase problems, really thick frequency bands and conversly really thin ones... excessive bass, mids or highs, or the tonal qualities of the microphones.

I'm glad the tapers are out there doing their thing, and as a Tascam employee I love to see our gear in the field, I just think that with the band distributing quality recordings people who are seeking out AUDs are doing so because that's the sound they're looking to hear, it's personal preference not a decision based on the sonic qualities of the reording.

Of course the vast majority of AUDs have issues, but when you get that perfectly dialed in AUD where you can really hear the shape of the room and it puts you right there at the show. . .  no SBD can top that IMO.

Those rare "perfect" AUDs like 7-2-98 or 6-26-94 can't really be improved upon by a SBD alone IMO, possibly with a matrix though.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

ytowndan

The split AKG's from 3/6 blow the SBD out of the water. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mattstick

Again, I think those are personal preferences based on the fact that you've been listening to AUDs for years. 

Your ears are "trained" to hear the show from that perspective.  Hand 2 CDs to someone who's never heard a Phish recording, an AUD and a SBD, ask them which they prefer - 999/1000 people would choose the SBD.

DoW

Quote from: mattstick on April 01, 2009, 03:34:13 PM

Again, I think those are personal preferences based on the fact that you've been listening to AUDs for years. 

Your ears are "trained" to hear the show from that perspective.  Hand 2 CDs to someone who's never heard a Phish recording, an AUD and a SBD, ask them which they prefer - 999/1000 people would choose the SBD.
let me first say that I agree that it is personal preference.

BUT hand 2 Cds to a person that has been to a Phish show and lived the experience and then see which they prefer.  I don't want to guess the percentage but it is not 99.9% for the SBD imo.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

antelope19

This is begging for a poll.

:looks in redrums direction:

:-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

AfterMidnight

"Those rare "perfect" AUDs like 7-2-98 or 6-26-94 can't really be improved upon by a SBD alone IMO, possibly with a matrix though."

Just found 7-2-98 on bt.etree.org can't wait to hear it.

ytowndan

I agree that it is a matter of personal preference.  I'll always prefer a *good* AUD over a SBD, but I'm sure there's exceptions.  I just can't think of any off the top of my head. 

Quote from: antelope19 on April 01, 2009, 03:51:45 PM
This is begging for a poll.

:looks in redrums direction:

:-D

Yeah, I'm curious to see what everyone's opinion is here.  This topic has come up many times, but never in a poll form (to my knowledge).   

mattstick

I can pretty much tell you which way the poll will lean on this board, where many of us have been listening to AUDs since the cassette days.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on April 01, 2009, 04:01:09 PM

I can pretty much tell you which way the poll will lean on this board, where many of us have been listening to AUDs since the cassette days.

You're absolutely right.  But even back then I treasured my FM copy of the Clifford Ball because it was the cleanest sounding tape I had.  BTW, I will take a SBD over an AUD every time.  Even the not-so-good PH SBD's from 2003.  There, I said it.  Too bad you can't smite me anymore BITCHES!!!!   :evil:   :-)
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

AfterMidnight

Quote from: mattstick on April 01, 2009, 04:01:09 PM

what are cassettes?

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on April 01, 2009, 03:34:13 PM

Is someone who has never heard a Phish recording even qualified to judge the difference though?

I suppose to the untrained ear a CD sounds "better" than an LP because the it may sound more "clear", as opposed to an audiophile type who would term it as "sterile". 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

I think even untrained listeners can appreciate the sonic qualities of LP vs. CD on well-tuned systems.

I agree that someone who doesn't know Phish may not be a qualified judge, but this was all hypothetical stuff off the top of my head, and finding a Phish fan does'nt listen to AUDs is gonna be tough.

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on April 01, 2009, 04:16:27 PM

I think even untrained listeners can appreciate the sonic qualities of LP vs. CD on well-tuned systems.

I agree that someone who doesn't know Phish may not be a qualified judge, but this was all hypothetical stuff off the top of my head, and finding a Phish fan does'nt listen to AUDs is gonna be tough.

I know dudes that post on audiophile forums that swear up and down that CDs are superior to LPs.   Go fig.

ytowndan

Quote from: Hicks on April 01, 2009, 04:18:33 PM

I know dudes that post on audiophile forums that swear up and down that CDs are superior to LPs.   Go fig.

Weird.  I thought that the exact opposite was common knowledge.   

Hicks

Quote from: ytowndan on April 01, 2009, 04:21:21 PM
Quote from: Hicks on April 01, 2009, 04:18:33 PM

Weird.  I thought that the exact opposite was common knowledge.   

It is, but there's always that one dude who's gotta be the heretic.