News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Hampton Source Discussion

Started by forbin1221, March 09, 2009, 06:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forbin1221

Only took a look at the board from hampton, didn't really spend any time on it.  So far what i've got are the AKG's from night one and the 4022's (I think) from night 2.  Suggestions?

disco

I changed the topic to reflect what we want from this thread.

I have the z-man sources for night 1 & 2. I have craig's dpa's from all three nights. I'm normally a schoeps fan but really dig these recordings from craig's (cbd) rig. I haven't listened to the other recordings yet
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

forbin1221

Im really not wild about the officially released sbd's.  I enjoy a good aud more than a soundboard anyway, especially i think for these shows.  The crowd was so wired and loud on night 1, for whatever reason i think the crowd really adds to the music.

Superfreakie

I just finished dling the 16 bit AKG's on the tall pole from the first night and, in my opinion, they are the nicest source. I also liked the senns. Because of the way the sound moves in Hampton, sunken floor etc..., I think you have to be careful taping FOB. As such, I often prefer taper section tapes from the mothership. I definitely find the Schoeps and DPA FOB's high end a little too excessive for my tastes. 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

disco

Quote from: Superfreakie on March 09, 2009, 08:27:34 PM
I just finished dling the 16 bit AKG's on the tall pole from the first night and, in my opinion, they are the nicest source. I also liked the senns. Because of the way the sound moves in Hampton, sunken floor etc..., I think you have to be careful taping FOB. As such, I often prefer taper section tapes from the mothership. I definitely find the Schoeps and DPA FOB's high end a little too excessive for my tastes. 

that's the 11' tape? I'll grab a few of those tracks to compare

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

Superfreakie

Quote from: disco on March 10, 2009, 12:57:58 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on March 09, 2009, 08:27:34 PM

that's the 11' tape? I'll grab a few of those tracks to compare

Yep, and I now keep bouncing between it and the 4022's............aaargh too hard to choose.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

PIE-GUY

The livephish.com sbd's of this run aren't the old 2-tracks we've been getting for years. They are actually multi-track mixes with a lot of crowd noise. They sound really nice. Still, AUD's are always nice, too.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

GBL

just thought id throw my hat in the ring..

LP SBD = teh ghey, IMO

the split AKG's or the FOB mk22's are the only way to go for 03/06
If this is love, I'm never going home..

Hicks

I left a message on Mike's hotline yesterday and told him we need more Fish in the boards, I'm sure he'll get right on it.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

I still think it's hilarious that people really believe that a couple of mics jacked up on mic stands hundreds of feet from the stack could somehow make a better recording than a professional behind a mixing board.

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on April 01, 2009, 01:44:31 PM

I still think it's hilarious that people really believe that a couple of mics jacked up on mic stands hundreds of feet from the stack could somehow make a better recording than a professional behind a mixing board.

Are you saying you've never heard an AUD that was better than an SBD of the same show?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

blatboom

Quote from: Hicks on April 01, 2009, 02:40:19 PM
Quote from: mattstick on April 01, 2009, 01:44:31 PM

Are you saying you've never heard an AUD that was better than an SBD of the same show?

like, say...Hampton?

mattstick

When I hear AUDs, a lot of the time I hear weird phase problems, really thick frequency bands and conversly really thin ones... excessive bass, mids or highs, or the tonal qualities of the microphones.

I'm glad the tapers are out there doing their thing, and as a Tascam employee I love to see our gear in the field, I just think that with the band distributing quality recordings people who are seeking out AUDs are doing so because that's the sound they're looking to hear, it's personal preference not a decision based on the sonic qualities of the reording.

AfterMidnight

i thought the dpa sources were good. but not the best dpa tapes i've ever heard. the akg's take the cake on the first night.

AfterMidnight

Quote from: Hicks on April 01, 2009, 12:57:50 PM
I left a message on Mike's hotline yesterday and told him we need more Fish in the boards, I'm sure he'll get right on it.

Hicks I'm glad that you took care of that... Someone one had to step up to the plate on that issue.