News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

MLB 2009 y'all

Started by mattstick, April 06, 2009, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBL

Matt: How much do you think Cito Gaston has played a role in the team being where its at thus far in the season?
If this is love, I'm never going home..

mattstick

The word is that Cito is a great manager from the last out of the game to the first out of the next game.  He manages the players as athletes and men very, very well.

He makes a lot of weird in-game decisions that make you scratch your head, but you can't argue with his record.

When Cito came along he brought Gene Tenace and Mickey Brantley with him - all 3 guys are (from all reports) great hitting coaches.  The Jays major problem in '08 was hitting and now the club is swingin' hot bats.

I love the way he's handled Adam Lind and Travis Snider, when Cito came up last year he brought Lind up from triple-A and batted him 9th for months - these guys have no pressure in the 9-hole and quickly grow into roles as major leaguers.

So having Lind and the Snider/Bautista platoon take up a lot of ABs that were taken up by Frank Thomas/Kevin Mench/Brad Wilkerson has improved the offense.  Combine that with a healthy Scott Rolen, Lyle Overbay and Aaron Hill which takes the pressure off Wells/Rios = a great hitting club in 2009.

The pitching depth is what is blowing me away - we have a full rotation of guys on the DL and we're still winning games.

cleech74

Quote from: mattstick on May 03, 2009, 03:19:22 PM

Jays are 18-9.  Sofa King amazing.

O's are happy to be on a plane to Tampa.  I think Trembley will have a heart attack by the All-Star break, if the O's keep playing this way.
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

mattstick

Check out this awesome picture of the Braves Field scoreboard circa 1950.

bonebo

The Orioles, to the Yankees, are like that girl you know who's slightly overweight with bad self esteem who you can go see any time you need a pick-me-up.  You can have your way with her and she'll even make you a snack afterward before you leave and don't talk to her again for two months.  Thanks Baltimore !  :beers:
...sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own...

cleech74

Quote from: bonebo on May 09, 2009, 08:38:47 AM
The Orioles, to the Yankees, are like that girl you know who's slightly overweight with bad self esteem who you can go see any time you need a pick-me-up.  You can have your way with her and she'll even make you a snack afterward before you leave and don't talk to her again for two months.  Thanks Baltimore !  :beers:

Hmm.  As it stands, their series is tied 2-2, this year.  We'll see how this plays out, after this weekend.

Sabathia is 1-1 vs O's, and Weng in 0-1.  Teixeira is really working out well for ya, as well.

And hey, with all that the Yankees have spent this year, you must feel pretty good about beating up on Baltimore. :-P
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

Ri©h

Quote from: cleech74 on May 09, 2009, 10:41:22 AM

Hmm.  As it stands, their series is tied 2-2, this year.  We'll see how this plays out, after this weekend.

Sabathia is 1-1 vs O's, and Weng in 0-1.  Teixeira is really working out well for ya, as well.

And hey, with all that the Yankees have spent this year, you must feel pretty good about beating up on Baltimore. :-P

Oooo, cleech delivereth the smackdown.   :samurai:

bonebo

Of course it feels good, one game at a time.  Anyway I spend more time enjoying games than hating on other teams.  The above post was tongue in cheek and has at least a modicum of comedic value, IMO.  Lighten up.  :lol:

cleech74

Quote from: bonebo on May 09, 2009, 11:17:50 AM

Of course it feels good, one game at a time.  Anyway I spend more time enjoying games than hating on other teams.  The above post was tongue in cheek and has at least a modicum of comedic value, IMO.  Lighten up.  :lol:

Just playing for fun. :-D

It was a good crowd at Camden Yards, last night.  We got good, hot, baseball weather for today.  Good times!

bonebo

Quote from: cleech74 on May 09, 2009, 11:37:25 AM
Quote from: bonebo on May 09, 2009, 11:17:50 AM

Just playing for fun. :-D

It was a good crowd at Camden Yards, last night.  We got good, hot, baseball weather for today.  Good times!

I'm sorry I never made the trip down before moving west, heard nothing but great things about Camden Yards.  Anyway, I'm going to savor not having to watch the Yankee's bullpen for one game !   :roll:

mattstick

Red Sox & Yankees getting knocked around today.

Ri©h

Quote from: mattstick on May 09, 2009, 08:01:48 PM

Red Sox & Yankees getting knocked around today.

Add the Giants to that little pity party.   :lol:

mattstick

Wait, there are other teams outside the AL East?

Ri©h

Other teams besides the Jays, brah!   :wink:

Dodgers are kickin' ass!

bonebo

It looks like that slightly overweight girl regained her self esteem last night .   :lol: Ooy vey !