News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

MLB 2009 y'all

Started by mattstick, April 06, 2009, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inourdr

Quote from: antelope19 on May 22, 2009, 10:09:28 AM
Well, we signed Izturis to a 2 or 3 year deal.  He's great in the field; he's won a few gold gloves, but his bat leaves something to be desired to say the least.  Unfortunately, I don't think we have anyone on the farm teams who is projecting to be a major league Short Stop so I wouldn't be surprised if we traded some people.  

And Matt, we commited to rebuilding in 2007 when we hired Andy Macphail as president of baseball operations.  Since he's come on board, we fleeced the Mariners in the Bedard trade and have done pretty well in in the Tejada trade.  He has basically not allowed Angelos to get involved and has moved our focus to developing players rather than overspending on the Sammy Sosa's and Albert Bell's of the world.  Our team, for the first time in years, is heading in the right direction.....  

Fleeced is putting it lightly. Rape is the first word that comes to my mind! Izturis is a great fielder but that won't cut it in the AL East. I'd like to see the O's draft a few more position players in this years draft.

mattstick

Quote from: inourdr on May 22, 2009, 10:11:39 AM
Quote from: mattstick on May 22, 2009, 10:09:05 AM

You clearly didn't watch his first big league starts.  Kid was awesome.

1 start means nothing in this game.

No, but 3 great starts is promising.  Again, whatever scouting reports you're reading are wrong - he was very, very good before his DL stint.  If the kid was a Yankee you'd have a major boner (except that you've probably forgotten the feeling because the Yankees don't produce young talent - oh snap!).

After you see what the M's get for Bedard later this year I wonder if you'll still feel like you "fleeced" the Mariners - Sherrill is somewhat serviceable, Adam Jones looks good but the M's could get a signifigant haul for Bedard from a team looking for an ace.

antelope19

Alright dude, Bedard is a prick, a locker room cancer.  He spent the majority of last season on the DL and has already missed a few starts this year.  Sure, he's had a few great games this year, he's always been able to do that.  I don't miss him at all.  There's a reason their GM was fired last year when Bedard wasn't panning out.  The Mariners were taken and everyone in their organization knows it.  Don't get so defensive just because he's a canadian.  I would NOT want him as a teamate.   
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

antelope19

PS- and to say Adam Jones "Looks good" is laughable.  If you haven't noticed how much he has improved compared to last year, YOU, my friend, are the one who isn't paying attention.  This kid is only 23 and is going to be a monster for years to come. 

inourdr

Quote from: mattstick on May 22, 2009, 10:26:47 AM
Quote from: inourdr on May 22, 2009, 10:11:39 AM
Quote from: mattstick on May 22, 2009, 10:09:05 AM

You clearly didn't watch his first big league starts.  Kid was awesome.

1 start means nothing in this game.

No, but 3 great starts is promising.  Again, whatever scouting reports you're reading are wrong - he was very, very good before his DL stint.  If the kid was a Yankee you'd have a major boner (except that you've probably forgotten the feeling because the Yankees don't produce young talent - oh snap!).

After you see what the M's get for Bedard later this year I wonder if you'll still feel like you "fleeced" the Mariners - Sherrill is somewhat serviceable, Adam Jones looks good but the M's could get a signifigant haul for Bedard from a team looking for an ace.

You right we don't produce talent, and I've said this drives me nuts, but I'll take making the playoffs, over producing talent that we would trade away, any day of the week. Do you think any of your "young guns" could pitch in the media frenzy NY and succeed? I didn't think so.

And if you think Jones "looks good" you're blind. He has ALL 5 tools! MLB or Sports Center went as far as to say he's the closest player to Willie Mays currently playing in the bigs.

Baseball Prospectus is rarely wrong about evaluating prospects but only time will tell.

mattstick

How many MLB games had Jones played when they made that deal? 

You can't look into a crystal ball and say for sure... if Bedard had been injury free and has a great year and Adam Jones pulls a "Lastings" that deal looks lopsided the other way...  If Bedard can get things on track the M's will get a signifigant haul for him at the deadline - regardless of whether you wanted him on your team.  I'm not saying that wasn't a good deal for the O's, I'm saying it could turn out to be a good deal for the M's too.

Alex Rios has all 5 tools too and the scouts drooled over him for years, don't cream your pants over a couple hot months of Adam Jones d00ds...  and comparing anyone to Willie Mays, well that just screams hype.

inourdr

Quote from: mattstick on May 22, 2009, 11:00:11 AM

How many MLB games had Jones played when they made that deal? 

You can't look into a crystal ball and say for sure... if Bedard had been injury free and has a great year and Adam Jones pulls a "Lastings" that deal looks lopsided the other way...  If Bedard can get things on track the M's will get a signifigant haul for him at the deadline - regardless of whether you wanted him on your team.  I'm not saying that wasn't a good deal for the O's, I'm saying it could turn out to be a good deal for the M's too.

Alex Rios has had all 5 tools too and the scouts drooled over him for years, don't cream your pants over a couple hot months of Adam Jones d00ds...  and comparing anyone to Willie Mays, well that just screams hype.

I think you meant to say HAD right? He is a complementary player miscast as a star.

mattstick

You think Rios is washed up?  You're ready to put Adam Jones in the Hall of Fame but Rios "miscast as a star"?

His 5 tools just disappeared?  LOL.

inourdr

Quote from: mattstick on May 22, 2009, 11:18:46 AM

You think Rios is washed up?  You're ready to put Adam Jones in the Hall of Fame but Rios "miscast as a star"?

His 5 tools just disappeared?  LOL.

Def not washed up. His HR total, a component of the "5 tools" is declining. At the ripe age of 27 he only hit 15. You need more production from a 5 tool player than that. Atleast he doubled his SB total last year so you have that going for you.

Jones is only in his third year as an OF so yes, his bulb is buring bright than Alex's ever has.

inourdr

Are you capable of having a baseball conversation without being so defensive?

mattstick

Fair enough, Rios lost his home run stroke after the '07 Home Run Derby.  His swing is still "under construction" but he's certainly not miscast as a star.  Above average speed, defence and probably the best RF arm in the game.

mattstick

Quote from: inourdr on May 22, 2009, 11:26:47 AM
Are you capable of having a baseball conversation without being so defensive?

When you have valid points I'll agree with them.

inourdr

Quote from: mattstick on May 22, 2009, 11:33:18 AM
Fair enough, Rios lost his home run stroke after the '07 Home Run Derby.  His swing is still "under construction" but he's certainly not miscast as a star.  Above average speed, defence and probably the best RF arm in the game.

He does a great arm but keep in mind Markakis lead on MLB players last year in outfield assists and theres the Vlad guy in ANA who, when healthy, should register his arm with the ATF!

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on May 22, 2009, 11:33:18 AM

Pshaw.....again, Nick Markakis might have something to say about that. 

mattstick

OF assists are kind of a weird stat - if you have a great arm people don't run on you, and if you play LF @ Fenway Park you can rack 'em up.

I don't know if Vladdy will ever be healthy again.