News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

MLB 2009 y'all

Started by mattstick, April 06, 2009, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumni

Yeah, I guess that's all it really is.

I didn't see the game yesterday, but I came across that image this morning and went  :-o
Cause I got a degree

Alumni

Quote from: Alumni on October 28, 2009, 07:16:23 PM
I like the Phillies. I'll be happy to root for them. If I were a gambler, though, my money would be on NY in 6.
Cause I got a degree

tet

booyah!!   :banana: :rockout: :rawk: :rawk: :rockout: :banana:

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: tet on November 04, 2009, 11:54:28 PM
booyah!!   :banana: :rockout: :rawk: :rawk: :rockout: :banana:

:rockout: :rockout: I'm heading to the Yankees parade tomorrow. Super excited!!  :rockout: :rockout:

Mr Minor

How do people get excited for the Yankees winning?  I know it's been almost ten years, but doesn't the way the Yanks buy players and such, rather than utilize the farm teams, take the excitement out of the win? 

I heard a great analogy this morning about it.  It's like an old Twilight Zone episode where this dude wishes he would win every pool match he plays.  The problem is, he begins to lose the excitement to the game because he already knows the outcome. 
I kind of feel like this is how Yankee fans should feel.  The excitement isn't in the winning anymore. 

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

mattstick

Quote from: Mr Minor on November 05, 2009, 09:04:25 AM
How do people get excited for the Yankees winning?  I know it's been almost ten years, but doesn't the way the Yanks buy players and such, rather than utilize the farm teams, take the excitement out of the win? 

I heard a great analogy this morning about it.  It's like an old Twilight Zone episode where this dude wishes he would win every pool match he plays.  The problem is, he begins to lose the excitement to the game because he already knows the outcome. 
I kind of feel like this is how Yankee fans should feel.  The excitement isn't in the winning anymore.

It's easy to cheer for a winner, even if the players are a bunch of overpaid losers.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: Mr Minor on November 05, 2009, 09:04:25 AM

Fielders
Derek Jeter-Farm System
Jorge Posada-Farm System
Robby Cano-Farm System
Melky Cabrera-Farm System
Bret Gardner-Farm System

Pitchers:
Mariano Rivera-Farm System
Andy Petite - 1990 MLB draft by Yanks, but went to collage and played with Yanks as a rookie in 1996
Joba Chamberlain-Farm System
Phil Hughes-Farm System
David Robertson-Farm System
Phil Coke-Farm System
Alfredo Aceves-Farm System
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

mattstick

Petite was re-signed as a free agent.

So you've listed a small and mostly insignifigant portion of the roster, I guess you've proved the point...?  Also, being able to sign players to big contracts and then absorb them (Carl Pavano, the future AJ Burnett) is the luxury of the huge payroll, not just signing new players and keeping your veterans as they move into big contracts.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: mattstick on November 05, 2009, 01:29:20 PM
Petite was re-signed as a free agent.

So you've listed a small and mostly insignifigant portion of the roster, I guess you've proved the point...?  Also, being able to sign players to big contracts and then absorb them (Carl Pavano, the future AJ Burnett) is the luxury of the huge payroll, not just signing new players and keeping your veterans as they move into big contracts.
Yes!! I knew this... The Yankees fork out the bucks to keep their big stars around like Jeter, Mariano, and Posada and still spend the dough to ring in players like A-Rod, Teixeira and Sabathia... but they still utilize their farm system the best they can...

It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

antelope19

It'll be interesting to see what the Yanks do this year with jeter, Damon and Matsui all needing new contracts.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Alumni

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on November 05, 2009, 01:35:15 PM
Yes!! I knew this... The Yankees fork out the bucks to keep their big stars around like Jeter, Mariano, and Posada and still spend the dough to ring in players like A-Rod, Teixeira and Sabathia... but they still utilize their farm system the best they can...

You both have a point. A productive farm system is the difference between a generally successful big-market club and a champion big-market club. Look at the failure of Boston's attempts to load up on all stars at the expense of its farm system before the current ownership took over, and NY's failures earlier in the decade.

Having a big payroll to start with makes a difference at least three ways.

(1) You can afford to pay your home-grown talent AND get top free agents.
(2) You can compete every year. You don't work with windows of opportunity (before you have to cut expensive home-grown players loose)
(3) You can afford to screw up when signing free agents (Hideki Irabu, Carl Pavano, Eric Gagne, Matt Clement). A bad signing for NYY or BOS or DET isn't the end of the world. A bad signing for Arizona or San Diego is a disaster.
Cause I got a degree

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: antelope19 on November 05, 2009, 01:40:47 PM
It'll be interesting to see what the Yanks do this year with jeter, Damon and Matsui all needing new contracts.
One of them will most likely go... but it won't be Jeter!!! Matsui came through big in the last game, but I still think Damon is the better choice...

Superfreakie

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on November 05, 2009, 02:18:20 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on November 05, 2009, 01:40:47 PM
One of them will most likely go... but it won't be Jeter!!! Matsui came through big in the last game, but I still think Damon is the better choice...

Matsui either signs for the Yankess or goes back to Japan a national hero. Considering the fact that his knees are shot, I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Japan.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.