News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

ps3 vs xbox 360

Started by jedifunk, May 17, 2005, 11:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

whats everyones take?

not sure who's gamers and who's not, but sony announced the PS3 yesterday @ E3 and it just blows the doors off the xbox 360! :shock:

glad to see that, i've got a PS2 and have always thought the xbox was way overrated.  when microsoft announced the xbox 360 last week i was very unimpressed with the specs of the system.  and now with sony's announcement, its clear microsoft doesnt know gaming like it thinks it does.

can't wait to go to work now and stick it in the face of my co-workers who were laughing when i said i was gonna wait and buy a PS3 instead of a xbox 360! :P

i love hating microsoft!!! ;)
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

sony rules!
can't wait!
even though i'll probably never be able to afford to get one!
when the release date?-christmas probably??
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jedifunk

xbox = xmas
ps3 = spring 06
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

the new xbox will be a slick machine. the PS3 will completely own it however.

the biggest thing is that the differing release times gives MS an edge with the XMAS 05 market.

jephrey

I'm waiting for an emulator :wink:  I have a usb controller and an emulator for the original PS that works very well.  Haven't tried it on the G5.  I'm not a gamer, but I like to try out software, and emulators are cool.  I have the atari emulator with like 500 games, the sega genesis emulator, nintendo, i never bothered with others but I think an N64 emulator is available.  N64 has always been one of my favs.  Maybe cuz we'd get baked and play mario kart and links all the time.  Gauntlet is awesome (better than the PS version) and I used to watch a friend of mine play zelda...  That was cool under the influence.  I like watching more than playing.  I'm a tetris and minesweeper type of guy.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

heh, i feel ashamed to admit this as a Mac user, but i love my Xbox and can't wait for Xbox 360.  specs look fantastic (3 G5 processors is pretty damn impressive), and Sony really missed the boat with their online offerings.  Xbox Live simply owns the known universe!  i have never liked Playstation controllers, and the graphics have always sucked compared to other consoles.  Xbox was built with HD support 4 years ago, way ahead of the curve, and I have no doubt that Xbox 360 will also be a beast to reckon with when it comes to graphics.  I've seen screenshots of the new Elder Scrolls and Madden, don't think anything other than Pixar movies comes close to looking that good.... and these are being rendered in real time.  Rumor has it that the iPod will be able to connect with both consoles, which is interesting considering M$'s use of their Play Anywhere crap.  We shall see...  Getting the Xbox 360 out to market by this holiday season is also a huge step, that's a couple million more units sold before Sony even launches theirs.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

tet- wait till you see some of the trailers for the PS3!  way better graphically than the new xbox.

also the PS3 will have 7 G5s in it!  thats right 7 3.2GHz Cell microprocessors.  the only things the xbox has on the PS3 are that it comes out a bit earlier (no biggie for PS2 - just look @ what they did to dreamcast), and xbox live.  i'll give em xbox live, way better than what sony has (nothing).

in terms of hardware, the xbox isnt even in the same category, you cant even call it 'next gen', especially when compared to the PS3.  i saw something on G4tv last night and they were saying that the xbox wasnt very impressive, but that the PS3 is AMAZING!  i dont mind waiting a couple extra months to have the best!

anyhoo, we'll see how it all shakes out as things become more clear (final specs, price, etc) and we get closer to launch time!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Itsnotanexperience

i'm a pathetic loyalist through and through - i still love my gamecube and my
dreamcast.........the PS2 never really impressed me that much, and the x-box,
while clearly the superior system in tons of ways, never show me much more than
the gamecube......plus, i can't get enough of the nintendo games - metroid prime,
all the mario shit, and even goofy shit like pikmen......starfox........i never got into
the monster hits on sony and never felt that halo was much more than a glorified
goldeneye........

as for the dreamcast - that system still holds its own w/ all the current systems, IMHO,
even though it's about to turn SIX years old in september.........

but, if pressed, i think i'll be going w/ the new sony, if the specs are as good as they say.....

crnl4bn

after seeing the psp, I'm expecting sony to amaze everyone again...

although, after the impact the original xbox had on the gaming industry, I'm don't see the xbox360 letting anyone down...

Currently, I don't play alot of video games (way too much school work to worry about)...
http://db.etree.org/flavaflav

This opportune physical form
Is worth more than a wish-granting gem.
You only gain its like the once.
So hard to get, so easily destroyed,
It's like a lightning bolt in the sky.

Contemplate this, and you will realize
All worldly actions are but winnowed chaff,
And night and day you must
Extract some essence from your life.
I, the yogi, practiced this way;
You, wanting liberation, do the same!

- Lord Tsongkhapa, King of the Dharma

Guyute

I love my XBox and have a feeling I will stick with it.  That and the fact that I have an in so I get new games cheap.  I've got some friends in the XBox division at MS and other parts of the company.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

VA $l!m

sorta off topic here, but does anybody have any recomendations for PS2 games i should get??
...i haven't gotten a new game since last fall. I wanted to pick up a new game , but really only can afford one right now;
i was thinking about the  sequels to two of my past favs:
NBA street 3 & GRAN turismo 4 , but i haven't seen either.
---ALSO i don't play online or w/ friends really, so i'm only interested in games that have some solo  vs. computer play merit.
ANY suggestions????
-sLim.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Guyute

Dont' know what to suggest.  What I can say is do what I do, I don't buy new games, I buy them all used.  Now with that $50 I can get 2-3 games.  Yeah I have to wait a few month for someone to get bored with it, but I don't have to play things right when they come out.  You can even go to fye.com or gamestop.com and get them.  Or you can just walk into a store.

Read an article on things you should neve buy new and they said the top 3 are DVD's, CD's, game's.

Good luck, heard GT4 is sick
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.