News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

guyforget

go, nab, go

get on one of those quit calculators that adds up $$ saved

and put it in your girl's college fund, or take her to disneyworld, or buy her a savings bond, or....

plenty of things you can do w/ that $$ to inspire you to keep off the smokes. 

-AD_

gah

Quote from: nab on March 16, 2010, 03:51:26 PM
Today is my daughter's 3rd birthday and I've been preparing to quit on this day for a couple of weeks now. 

So far so good.  Resisted work breaks, even though I was working alone and bored.  Resisted lunch smoke.  Gotta go home and deal with the wife smoking, but we haven't smoked inside for 5-6 years, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Here we go again-

Day One

Good job buddy! I've been trying to prep to quit this weekend as well for a couple weeks now. Only had one in 2 days now, but today started flipping out earlier. Know what's tough? I think wanting to quit isn't the hard part, it's getting through the withdrawals. I was flipping out last night around the 48 hours mark, and had one smoke left I was going to use in dire emergency only, and smoked it, about half way through, when the craving was gone and my mind was back, I put it out. And I think that's the way its got to be. Weaning off it. Absolutely resisting until you can't take it anymore, doing just enough to get you by, and then eventually, the resisting gets easier. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

guyforget

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 16, 2010, 03:58:45 PM
Today is my daughter's 3rd birthday and I've been preparing to quit on this day for a couple of weeks now. 

So far so good.  Resisted work breaks, even though I was working alone and bored.  Resisted lunch smoke.  Gotta go home and deal with the wife smoking, but we haven't smoked inside for 5-6 years, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Here we go again-

Day One

Good job buddy! I've been trying to prep to quit this weekend as well for a couple weeks now. Only had one in 2 days now, but today started flipping out earlier. Know what's tough? I think wanting to quit isn't the hard part, it's getting through the withdrawals. I was flipping out last night around the 48 hours mark, and had one smoke left I was going to use in dire emergency only, and smoked it, about half way through, when the craving was gone and my mind was back, I put it out. And I think that's the way its got to be. Weaning off it. Absolutely resisting until you can't take it anymore, doing just enough to get you by, and then eventually, the resisting gets easier. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

your minds playing tricks on you. 

-AD_

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Superfreakie

Quote from: guyforget on March 16, 2010, 04:02:51 PM

Here we go again-

Day One

your minds playing tricks on you.

yep. the resisting will never get easier as long as nicotine is still entering your system. Every time it enters, you go back to square one. Essentially, you now find yourself on the hamster wheel.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

thatfargone

I think wanting to quit isn't the hard part, it's getting through the withdrawals. I was flipping out last night around the 48 hours mark, and had one smoke left I was going to use in dire emergency only, and smoked it, about half way through, when the craving was gone and my mind was back, I put it out. And I think that's the way its got to be. Weaning off it. Absolutely resisting until you can't take it anymore, doing just enough to get you by, and then eventually, the resisting gets easier. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I hope that works for you.  Never did for me and I have tried that approach.  You never really "quit" that way and always leave yourself open for "Just one more" or as an easy crutch when things get stressful or emotional.

If you have not, I would recommend using the patch or some other cigarette replacement instead of that emergency smoke.  You will get your nicotine but not giving into the psychological side of smoking a cigarette.

Trust me when I had quit...I was over the chemical dependency but still had the psychological stuff.  I didn't need to smoke at all, didn't even have nicotine cravings...I just wanted to feel the smoke in my lungs....to see the smoke, feel the cigarette in my hand, etc. etc.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

UncleEbinezer

hood you are one that has seen my previous attempts at quitting.  The last year or so, I had quit only while my wife was around which just became ridiculous.  I am not sure what clicked this last time, but I think I felt like I was just being a little bitch and needed to stop.  Dude, the cravings are still here like crazy.  I smoked for 15 years pretty much every day and a good portion of that time was a pack a day until the last year or so where I went down to about 1/4. 

Anyhow, long story short, I still think about smoking.  What I think about are the handful (literally handful) of times where for just a second I enjoyed a smoke.  That's going to be my struggle, but the other 99.999999999% of the cigarettes were pure habit.

Yeah the 48 hour mark is crucial and the 3 day thing is pretty big.  The 3-3-3 rule has been a helpful reminder of how to take baby steps.  I just passed week 3 yesterday.  Its easier than day 1, but I still want cig from time to time. 

Also, removing from situations helps too.  Throw your smokes out.  You've done this before so don't be a bitch!!!

Nab, way to go!!!  Stay strong and take it a day at a time. 
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

sls.stormyrider

Good luck
:beers:

fwiw, I recently heard a talk that the best success is combining the patch with lozenges. Obviously there is no one best method for everyone.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: slslbs on March 16, 2010, 04:30:00 PM
Good luck

fwiw, I recently heard a talk that the best success is combining the patch with lozenges. Obviously there is no one best method for everyone.

Sounds like a blend of attacking the physical addiction and the oral fixation.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

kellerb

Quote from: slslbs on March 16, 2010, 04:30:00 PM
Good luck

Hopefully not at EXACTLY the same time...

khalpin

Here we go again-

Day One
Good for you, man. 

Whenever you feel the urge, just think of dancing with your daughter at her wedding.  If you want to be there for it...don't have a cigarette.

VA $l!m

hi my name is SLIM and i am an addict.               

-does anybody else find the only time they can think clealy about quitting is when they are smoking a cigarette?
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mbw

Quote from: VA slim on March 17, 2010, 06:25:00 PM

-does anybody else find the only time they can think clealy about quitting is when they are smoking a cigarette?

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 17, 2010, 06:28:20 PM
Quote from: VA slim on March 17, 2010, 06:25:00 PM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Steps to Quitting Cigarettes

Step 1: Smoke a cigarette

Bring in the dude!