News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: nab on March 29, 2010, 08:38:59 AM
This is also the week that other people's smoke started turning from desirable to disgusting.  This was also the week that I was able to go out and have a few drinks and not really worry about smoking, though smoke free bars in Montana definitely help.
I definitely experienced this.  It kinda turned me off to see other people smoke.  I wasn't sure if that was my mind trying to convince myself of this as I wasn't allowing myself to have one or if it actually was repulsive.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: Phishy69 on March 29, 2010, 09:05:24 AM
Quote from: nab on March 29, 2010, 08:38:59 AM
This is also the week that other people's smoke started turning from desirable to disgusting.  This was also the week that I was able to go out and have a few drinks and not really worry about smoking, though smoke free bars in Montana definitely help.
I definitely experienced this.  It kinda turned me off to see other people smoke.  I wasn't sure if that was my mind trying to convince myself of this as I wasn't allowing myself to have one or if it actually was repulsive.

The smoke actually grows repulsive.  I had some urges this weekend, but I just stayed strong and stayed inside.  You're right the smoke free bars definitely help out.

Congrats to everyone doing so well!!!
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

justjezmund

so weird, I seem to have so much extra time on my hands now.   :music: and writing a bit more. 8-)
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

nab

Three weeks tomorrow morning, and I'm not smoking a cigarette before bed.

I'm about a third of the way to my financial goal of saving up for an xbox 360 on saved smoke money.  I have $126 socked away in cold hard cash just by throwing my daily smoke money at myself instead of at my lungs.

Superfreakie

Quote from: nab on April 06, 2010, 01:32:03 AM

I'm about a third of the way to my financial goal of saving up for an xbox 360 on saved smoke money.  I have $126 socked away in cold hard cash just by throwing my daily smoke money at myself instead of at my lungs.

fucking brilliant. You have just passed a huge milestone. Getting over the second/third week is a BIG key to success. If you lived near me, I would invite you over for :beers: 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

Great Progress, nab.

Keep it up!

justjezmund

Quote from: nab on April 06, 2010, 01:32:03 AM

:clap: way to go fellow quitter.  yesterday was three weeks for myself as well. and you made the right choice saving for a 360.  when you get it look up gamer tag- smafa (me).  as for myself $112 has been saved and its def going to a good fund (DC>Alpine>JB). :clap:
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

phuzzyfish12

gah

So after reading a couple articles last year on quitting being "contagious", I started this thread with the intention of quitting, and maybe getting a few others to quit as well. People offered great stories, advice, and encouragement, but I don't think I ever made it past 2 or 3 days. Little did I realize that it wouldn't be until almost a year later, that other people would be the ones quitting, and the "contagious" part, would come back on me.

A few weeks ago, with Uncleeb quitting, then nab, then jj getting involved, and seeing them going through it gave me the motivation to give this another go. After 15 years, and constantly putting another "quit date" in front of me, I decided I just needed to do it.  Hearing of their struggles made me realize, it would be difficult, but if they can do it, so can I, and most importantly, I won't be doing it alone.

After a couple a rough starts of making it 2 days twice, and then starting again a week later only to make it 3 days, I'm proud to say, that here I am on day 12, and feeling good about it. I didn't want to say anything earlier, because maybe I didn't believe I could do it, maybe I didn't want to be held accountable if I couldn't do it, maybe just cause I didn't want to jinx it, I don't know. But it occurred to me last night that it was hearing nab and uncleeb and jj's struggles that helped me do this too, so maybe the more people on here quitting, the more "contagious" it will be.

It hasn't been easy, but I feel like this time, it's for real. Everyone said get through 3 days, and yeah, that was tough, it actually took several tries. But what really got me was days 4 and 5. It was painful. I had such a bad headache and nausea on day 4, that I had to leave work early take some ibuprofen and just go to bed the rest of the day. I was snapping and just being an all out asshole and then having to apologize for it (hence my today I hate "people" post from last week). But I kept telling myself how much better it would be once I got through that.

And it does get better. I still "crave" one now and then, but not physically, moreso mentally. And every time I do, I've had to come up with something to distract myself from it. I've used sunflower seeds, flavored toothpicks, butterscotch candy, lifesavers, thoughts of people I love, music and the thought that I want to experience so many more of those beautiful moments, thoughts of my dad quitting when I was a kid, just so much. I feel like I now have this arsenal of things in my mind to combat those thoughts. Sometimes something I've used in the past will work, sometimes I have to come up with something completely new. But every time I fight it, I get stronger and add to that arsenal.

More than everyones stories earlier and the financial savings and the obvious health reasons on why someone should quit, I think it's seeing your friends quit, and having them know you support them, and being one anothers motivation that has been most influential for me. SO anyhow, I just wanted to thank nab, and uncleeb, and jj for being the motivation to help me quit. Big +k's to all of you.

I know, i know, sb.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

UncleEbinezer

Hooray for HOOD!!!  Actually, when it is contagious like this it makes it easier for all of us.  Hood you are incredibly strong and determined on this, much more than I.  You go out still like its nothing and just fight through it.  I had to hide a little and remove myself from the distractions. 

Just to share with everyone else here.  We have decided to reward ourselves each week with a Tasty Thursday Treat as a way to cheers each other for thanks and support and how well we did over the past week.  Last week we had the Avery Maharaja Imperial Pale Ale.   Tasty for sure!!

I'm not one for such a strong post such as hood's, but to everyone here you have helped me get through it all. 
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

redrum

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.