News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Fantastic, AA!   :clap:

I'm really glad to hear that.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on April 06, 2010, 12:17:46 PM

You go out still like its nothing and just fight through it.

Yeah, well, I figure I could stay at home, and hide from those tough moments, but eventually I'd have to face them, so why not just keep doing what I always do and fight this head on. The no smoking law in bars and restaurants has been a big help with it not being there in your face all the time. But, a couple times I've been out, and just had to leave. Last Wednesday I went to see this band, but only made it through the openers, because I knew if I stayed any longer, I might give in, so just went home and crawled into bed.  BUT, Friday night was a big test for me.

Even though VA has the no smoking law, technically, if your establishment has two rooms with separate air circulation and you offer one as no smoking, you can have smoking in the other. Friday, I went to check out my best friends band playing at this place where they did this.  One room off to the side, 15 ft by 20 feet, was smoke free, and has a bar and a couple tv's, etc. But you go through this door, and you're in the other 90% of the place, with a pool hall, big bar, stage, eating area, etc. and it was just a cloud of smoke in there. On top of that 6 of the other 7 people I was there with were smoking. This was day 8, and if it had been a few days earlier, I might have caved, but I was just on the other side of that and it was a little sickening to watch my friends chain smoking like that. And I thought of nab, and how he said, to paraphrase, at some point, it stops being a thing you want, and starts to turn into something you abhor. I started to see that.

I know I'm not out of the woods yet, and this week I'm starting to see just how much of a mental challenge it becomes. You start to maybe ease up, thinking, oh, I've got this...but it's always there, waiting for a moment of weakness, for a moment where you're like, I can handle just having one, but you have to fight that, cause it's a slippery slope.

Anyhow, keep it up you guys. We'll do this.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 06, 2010, 01:31:36 PM

Yeah, well, I figure I could stay at home, and hide from those tough moments, but eventually I'd have to face them, so why not just keep doing what I always do and fight this head on. The no smoking law in bars and restaurants has been a big help with it not being there in your face all the time. But, a couple times I've been out, and just had to leave. Last Wednesday I went to see this band, but only made it through the openers, because I knew if I stayed any longer, I might give in, so just went home and crawled into bed.  BUT, Friday night was a big test for me.

Even though VA has the no smoking law, technically, if your establishment has two rooms with separate air circulation and you offer one as no smoking, you can have smoking in the other. Friday, I went to check out my best friends band playing at this place where they did this.  One room off to the side, 15 ft by 20 feet, was smoke free, and has a bar and a couple tv's, etc. But you go through this door, and you're in the other 90% of the place, with a pool hall, big bar, stage, eating area, etc. and it was just a cloud of smoke in there. On top of that 6 of the other 7 people I was there with were smoking. This was day 8, and if it had been a few days earlier, I might have caved, but I was just on the other side of that and it was a little sickening to watch my friends chain smoking like that. And I thought of nab, and how he said, to paraphrase, at some point, it stops being a thing you want, and starts to turn into something you abhor. I started to see that.

I know I'm not out of the woods yet, and this week I'm starting to see just how much of a mental challenge it becomes. You start to maybe ease up, thinking, oh, I've got this...but it's always there, waiting for a moment of weakness, for a moment where you're like, I can handle just having one, but you have to fight that, cause it's a slippery slope.

Straight up trooper!!!!   hood to his cigarettes>>>>> :samurai:
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

Buffalo Budd

I hear ya AA, I've put myself thru the same test a few times and am happy to say I came out on top.  It definitely tests your will power (specially when it's diminished with some alcohol  :beerbang:)
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

justjezmund

GOOD FOR HOOD :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

VA $l!m

i'm shooting for quiting by my 36th BDAY  on june 5....
think im gonna  get prescription
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

justjezmund

Quote from: VA slim on April 07, 2010, 12:09:52 AM
just dont do the chantix
http://www.youhavealawyer.com/chantix/
big class action lawsuit, just in case you haven't heard.

nab

Man this is good news.  Glad I don't have to face anything like that in MT; everything is completely non-smoking.  The only smoking establishments left are on the Reservations.  Those moments of weakness creep in at the most unexpected moments.  Like I said earlier, I won't consider this a complete victory until I reach 6+ months, but I understand things about myself I didn't before this time.

One of those things is that you put yourself under a lot more emotional stress worrying about quitting smoking than you actually expend doing it.  While this may not be true for the first week or so, if you are determined, the first week is easy to white knuckle your way through.  After that, I began to realize that I spent much more psychological energy thinking about quitting than I do staying quit.

Superfreakie

Quote from: nab on April 07, 2010, 12:23:13 AM
One of those things is that you put yourself under a lot more emotional stress worrying about quitting smoking than you actually expend doing it.  While this may not be true for the first week or so, if you are determined, the first week is easy to white knuckle your way through.  After that, I began to realize that I spent much more psychological energy thinking about quitting than I do staying quit.

THIS. another milestone reached.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: JustJezmund on April 07, 2010, 12:18:45 AM
Quote from: VA slim on April 07, 2010, 12:09:52 AM
just dont do the chantix
http://www.youhavealawyer.com/chantix/
big class action lawsuit, just in case you haven't heard.

I know lots of people, including both of my parents that took this and were successful.  What makes Chantix very different than the other drugs that are available is that it specifically works with your dopamine levels and receptors in your brain that nicotine have direct affect on.  They do have warnings about lucid dreams and yes, I had some lucid dreams.  I think for me I was kind of prepared for that as I understood they were dreams and had previous lucid adventures.   :wink:

Anyhow, I would not rule it out, but know fully what you are getting into with any of the prescriptions.  The others are essentially anti-depressants.

Chantix has seen a rather incredible success rate.  Just my .02.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

sls.stormyrider

news flash

just cause a lawyer is suing someone (especially a drug / medical company) doesn't mean there is any substance to it.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Superfreakie

Quote from: slslbs on April 08, 2010, 02:47:12 PM
news flash

just cause a lawyer is suing someone (especially a drug / medical company) doesn't mean there is any substance to it.

WHAT  :-o
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Buffalo Budd

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

justjezmund

Quote from: slslbs on April 08, 2010, 02:47:12 PM
news flash

all i know is that i know two people that took it to quit and one said they had multiple thoughts of stabbing their eyes out.  the other did have some suicidal thoughts he said.  how much their statements merit, i dont know.  but it seems like more than a couple of people at least.  Im just saying.