News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: G. Augusto on January 25, 2011, 08:10:40 PM
Before I quit, smoking was a chore.
Just hated it, but still did it out of rote.
01-01 was 6 yrs for me.  :-)

what what! 6 years is the big time. I forget how many years you have to be done before it's like you never even smoked, but I'd assume you're close to that, slslbs, do you know? Oh wait, just found some info:

# In 3 to 9 months coughing, wheezing, and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
# In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
# In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
# In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
# In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Superfreakie

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 26, 2011, 10:33:43 AM
# In 3 to 9 months coughing, wheezing, and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
# In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
# In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
# In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
# In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

these times can be positively affected (as in shortened) if one participates in healthy living and activity. If you eat well, run, work out, etc.... the body will inevitably repair itself a lot faster.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

UncleEbinezer

Once again, I am on board to quit.  I have said several times that it is it for good, however I have failed many times.  I think I am on the right track, but this time has been an incredible mental battle.  More so than previous attempts.  I have been smoke free since March 11, a nice start, but it continues to be difficult.  I find Monday mornings in particular to be the toughest. 

Over all of these attempts I did manage to break each "habit" over time individually.  The smoking while drinking, the after a meal smoke, etc.  Now stringing these together is the real challenge and more difficult than previous attempts.  I have been using nicotine mints to help me make it through.  I realize that I will still have to battle that, but I feel like even if it is one small victory at a time, I'll take what I can get. 

I even dreamed of a cigarette last night.  I can't recall if I have ever had that occur.  I also have already begun to see a difference in my breathing.  Not significant, but enough to recognize. 

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

nab

Hang in there. 

I just realized that I passed the 1 year mark last Wednesday.  It really does get easier, but don't sweat it if it doesn't work out the way you have it perfectly planned.  A commitment to quiting is what is important.

sls.stormyrider

great work, nab
:beers:

don't get discouraged, UncleEb
sometimes you have to combine methods - ie patches + mints
Of course, if Monday mornings are the toughest, you can just ask your boss if you can take the day off - for your health and all that.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: slslbs on March 21, 2011, 12:19:56 PM
great work, nab
:beers:

don't get discouraged, UncleEb
sometimes you have to combine methods - ie patches + mints
Of course, if Monday mornings are the toughest, you can just ask your boss if you can take the day off - for your health and all that.

I like this.   :-D

McGrupp

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on March 21, 2011, 09:28:37 AM
Once again, I am on board to quit.  I have said several times that it is it for good, however I have failed many times.  I think I am on the right track, but this time has been an incredible mental battle.  More so than previous attempts.  I have been smoke free since March 11, a nice start, but it continues to be difficult.  I find Monday mornings in particular to be the toughest. 

Over all of these attempts I did manage to break each "habit" over time individually.  The smoking while drinking, the after a meal smoke, etc.  Now stringing these together is the real challenge and more difficult than previous attempts.  I have been using nicotine mints to help me make it through.  I realize that I will still have to battle that, but I feel like even if it is one small victory at a time, I'll take what I can get. 

I even dreamed of a cigarette last night.  I can't recall if I have ever had that occur.  I also have already begun to see a difference in my breathing.  Not significant, but enough to recognize.
Eb, have you tried Chantix?
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: McGrupp on March 21, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

Yeah once.  I think like nab said I was never truly committed to the cause.  I feel pretty confident that this time I am.  A little one will change your life...whenever he decides to get here.

McGrupp

Although I've never tried to quit smoking, Chantix seems to make a lot of sense and gets to the root of the problem with cognitive measures.

Since it blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain, you obviously aren't getting nicotine, but the instructions tell you to continue smoking as you take the pills.

You start to go through withdrawal - flu like symptoms, chills, headache, nausea, etc, but you're supposed to keep smoking deep into the withdrawal as well.

At a certain point, probably when the nausea is at its worst, you make a conscious decision that "this is fucking retarded, why am I sucking down burning paper and doing this to myself?" Especially when your brain is not getting nicotine.

Seems like that's the way to go for quitting smoking. It puts you through the worst physical withdrawal (you have no crutches like nicotine patches or gum), and then you heal yourself cognitively by making a conscious decision to stop. Sounds pretty good to me.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

gah

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on March 21, 2011, 04:35:45 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on March 21, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

Yeah once.  I think like nab said I was never truly committed to the cause.  I feel pretty confident that this time I am.  A little one will change your life...whenever he decides to get here.

I'm proud of you buddy. For keeping at it. I know you're going to kick it for good here soon. I can just feel it. This time might just be it. I definitely tell in the way you're approaching it, and taking it head on. A multi-method attack isn't a bad idea either, patches, mints, toothpicks, sunflower seeds, chantix, whatever it takes...you can do this buddy. I believe in you.

PIE-GUY

GAH, are you over the year mark now?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 21, 2011, 05:22:44 PM

This Friday marks my one year anniversary!!!  :-D (<- this smile doesn't even do justice to how I feel about that)

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 21, 2011, 05:29:43 PM

This Friday marks my one year anniversary!!!  :-D (<- this smile doesn't even do justice to how I feel about that)

:clap:
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 21, 2011, 05:30:08 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on March 21, 2011, 05:29:43 PM

Thanks man! This thread, and all the paugers support and others going through it definitely helped me. Which is why I'm really proud of Bobby here. It does add a level of accountability posting on here, and it adds to the many things you have to think about before you decide to pull out a smoke...it becomes one of the many reasons to want to stick with it.

And big  :clap: to nab too, I know he's ahead of me by a week or so, but I swear I'm going to catch up one of these days!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

mbw

congrats guys!

::gets winded from the clapping::