News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 21, 2011, 05:39:14 PM
congrats guys!

:clap:

::gets winded from the clapping::

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 21, 2011, 05:29:43 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 21, 2011, 05:22:44 PM
GAH, are you over the year mark now?

This Friday marks my one year anniversary!!!  :-D (<- this smile doesn't even do justice to how I feel about that)
:crazy:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

UncleEbinezer

This Friday marks my one year anniversary!!!  :-D (<- this smile doesn't even do justice to how I feel about that)

Congrats!!!!  I can't say enough about how pumped I am for you.

Today marks 22 days for me.  I have now surpassed my previous longest stretch of 21 days.  I'm pretty excited about this and I have also been nicotine free since last Thursday.  Having a little one makes things a little easier.

I am a little worried that when I go back to work, I may have some troubles, but at that point, I will be well over a month into this and as far as I am concerned there is no sense in turning back.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

gah

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on April 02, 2011, 12:01:59 PM

Today marks 22 days for me.  I have now surpassed my previous longest stretch of 21 days.  I'm pretty excited about this and I have also been nicotine free since last Thursday.  Having a little one makes things a little easier.

I am a little worried that when I go back to work, I may have some troubles, but at that point, I will be well over a month into this and as far as I am concerned there is no sense in turning back.

Exactly! No sense in starting again after that long a stretch. The physical part is over, now it's just a mind game. You got this!  :rawk:

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 02, 2011, 12:09:03 PM
Quote from: UncleEbinezer on April 02, 2011, 12:01:59 PM

Exactly! No sense in starting again after that long a stretch. The physical part is over, now it's just a mind game. You got this!  :rawk:

do it!
:beers:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

phuzzyfish12

Congrats!!!!

nab

Congrats my quit brother.

Buffalo Budd

So I had a brief relapse from Christmas til March but am finally back on the quitting train as of April 1st and plan on staying here.  Ha[ppy for those who have kepty up the good fight, a little ashamed for falling off the wagon.  Hope to keep accountable to the crew here who are stayong strong.   :beers:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Rip Van Winklin'

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 13, 2011, 02:56:00 PM
So I had a brief relapse from Christmas til March but am finally back on the quitting train as of April 1st and plan on staying here.  Ha[ppy for those who have kepty up the good fight, a little ashamed for falling off the wagon.  Hope to keep accountable to the crew here who are stayong strong.   :beers:

Congrats man!  :beers:
I just quit again December 1st.
i'd smoked for 10 years, quit for 3 years, then started again in the summer of 2009.
It wasn't easy but luckily im a stubborn bastard and didnt want to hear anyone giving me shit for trying to quit and failing.
so.........keep it up, every day gets a little easier.
and the $ saved is jst and xtra added bonus  :smoke:
GOOD LUCK!

gah

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 13, 2011, 02:56:00 PM

You haven't found anything better to smoke over there?  :wink: Keep it up man! You're already a couple weeks in...and since you've done it before, you know the process...Good luck!  :beerbang:

phuzzyfish12

This past weekend I was out with friends and was drinking quite a bit. My friends and I were outside so they could have a smoke and while I was standing there with them the urge to smoke hit me like a brickhouse. I couldn't even concentrate on what they were saying because all I could think was how bad I wanted to take a drag. In the end I didn't take a drag, but this has been happening to me for the past couple of months now everytime I drink, get f'ed up.

In June it will be 2 years since I've stopped smoking and right after I stopped smoking it was VERY hard to get past the urges to smoke when drinking, but over time I got over it.  For the past year and a half I haven't had the urge to smoke at all and now all of a sudden its back again :-(

Has anyone else gone through this? What advice do you have? I haven't picked up a cigarette....yet, but the urges are coming more frequently and more intense then in the past and with the summer coming up I am really worried I might fall off the wagon, or at the very least start smoking socially which I don't want at all.

Rip Van Winklin'

Quote from: phuzzyfish12 on April 13, 2011, 03:10:20 PM
This past weekend I was out with friends and was drinking quite a bit. My friends and I were outside so they could have a smoke and while I was standing there with them the urge to smoke hit me like a brickhouse. I couldn't even concentrate on what they were saying because all I could think was how bad I wanted to take a drag. In the end I didn't take a drag, but this has been happening to me for the past couple of months now everytime I drink, get f'ed up.

In June it will be 2 years since I've stopped smoking and right after I stopped smoking it was VERY hard to get past the urges to smoke when drinking, but over time I got over it.  For the past year and a half I haven't had the urge to smoke at all and now all of a sudden its back again :-(

Has anyone else gone through this? What advice do you have? I haven't picked up a cigarette....yet, but the urges are coming more frequently and more intense then in the past and with the summer coming up I am really worried I might fall off the wagon, or at the very least start smoking socially which I don't want at all.

I ALWAYS have urges when im drinking.  I tell my friends that smoke that they are not to give me a cigarette or even a drag under any circumstances. I also try to tell myself that im not gonna just "have one" and then be okay, im gonna smoke all nite, then wake up the next day and want to smoke again.
And the cycle starts again........
BE STRONG!!! YOU'LL GET THRU IT!!  :-)

gah

Use the same mental tools you used when you first quit. The urge to smoke right now can't in any way be as bad as when you first quite, remember that. And so, beating those urges should be easier. You just need to remember what you used mentally, that first time around, to use again. Stay strong young lady. You got this!

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: Rip Van Winklin' on April 13, 2011, 03:14:11 PM

I ALWAYS have urges when im drinking.   I tell my friends that smoke that they are not to give me a cigarette or even a drag under any circumstances. I also try to tell myself that im not gonna just "have one" and then be okay, im gonna smoke all nite, then wake up the next day and want to smoke again.
And the cycle starts again........
BE STRONG!!! YOU'LL GET THRU IT!!  :-)

Thanks!! Helps knowing I'm not the only one that still gets them. I'll definitely keep this in mind the next time I get an urge.

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 13, 2011, 03:29:48 PM

Use the same mental tools you used when you first quit. The urge to smoke right now can't in any way be as bad as when you first quite, remember that. And so, beating those urges should be easier. You just need to remember what you used mentally, that first time around, to use again. Stay strong young lady. You got this!

Good idea!! When I quit it was because of serious health issues...all of which have gone away now that I don't smoke (good reminder to never start again).  I just need to remind myself of that and that I enjoy breathing when I wake up in the mornings.  Also being a nonsmoker makes my fifth floor walk up a hell of a lot easier.

Now I just have to remember all this while I'm completely trashed. Mind over matter though, I did it once, I can do it again (so to speak).

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog