News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on April 22, 2011, 10:51:20 AM
6 weeks!   :rockout:

eventually I'll stop posting the weekly update.   :-D

:crazy: :beerbang:

Keep it up!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on April 22, 2011, 10:51:20 AM
6 weeks!   :rockout:

eventually I'll stop posting the weekly update.   :-D

:clap: great job!!  :clap:

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

MeltMe

good job Eb and BB!!!  my 1 year off smokes is in 3 days...I really can't believe it still  :-D
nothing i see can be taken from me...

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

UncleEbinezer

On Friday, I hit 8 weeks!!!

On Saturday, I was golfing and decided to have a smoke.  That's the bad news.

The good news, is it was AWFUL and I didn't enjoy a single drag.  Sucks that I had a moment, but I am actually pretty happy that I didn't enjoy it what so ever.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

gah

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on May 10, 2011, 10:18:06 AM

The good news, is it was AWFUL and I didn't enjoy a single drag.  Sucks that I had a moment, but I am actually pretty happy that I didn't enjoy it what so ever.

I don't get it.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: goodabouthood on May 10, 2011, 01:08:16 PM

I don't get it.

There is nothing to get really, other than I am holding myself accountable to this thread, telling on myself and letting everyone know that I had a lapse.  Grab some water.   :-P

j/k

Honestly, it was stupid to have one.  PERIOD.  But once I was done I did say to myself that was f'ing terrible, my "streak" is broken, but it was not enjoyable at all and I didn't think about having one the rest of the day. 

So now I am on day 3 technically. 

gah

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on May 10, 2011, 02:12:21 PM

I don't get it.

There is nothing to get really, other than I am holding myself accountable to this thread, telling on myself and letting everyone know that I had a lapse.  Grab some water.   :-P

j/k

Honestly, it was stupid to have one.  PERIOD.  But once I was done I did say to myself that was f'ing terrible, my "streak" is broken, but it was not enjoyable at all and I didn't think about having one the rest of the day. 

Just saw some posts about smoking elsewhere, and being judged. Don't mean to be "that guy" but what I meant was, I don't get how the day after hitting 8 weeks it even occurred to you to have one. After that much time, it's not even a physical thing. It was purely a mental lapse, not a physical one. And that's something we've talked about. There will ALWAYS be some reason to say what the hell, and have one. But you have to find a reason not to EVERY SINGLE time...at least until those reasons when you would otherwise say what the hell, and have one, stop occurring. All I'm saying is, I'm super glad you made it 8 weeks, that's straight bad ass, especially because I know how hard you've been trying, and how many times you've tried. But those opportunities will always be there, I think I might have said to Postjack this weekend, about it being over a year, and I had though about maybe a cigar to celebrate being at fest, but realized, nah, I don't even want to take the chance....it's those what the hell moments that you have to now start to focus on and battle through.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: goodabouthood on May 10, 2011, 02:26:12 PM

I don't get it.

j/k

Just saw some posts about smoking elsewhere, and being judged. Don't mean to be "that guy" but what I meant was, I don't get how the day after hitting 8 weeks it even occurred to you to have one. After that much time, it's not even a physical thing. It was purely a mental lapse, not a physical one. And that's something we've talked about. There will ALWAYS be some reason to say what the hell, and have one. But you have to find a reason not to EVERY SINGLE time...at least until those reasons when you would otherwise say what the hell, and have one, stop occurring. All I'm saying is, I'm super glad you made it 8 weeks, that's straight bad ass, especially because I know how hard you've been trying, and how many times you've tried. But those opportunities will always be there, I think I might have said to Postjack this weekend, about it being over a year, and I had though about maybe a cigar to celebrate being at fest, but realized, nah, I don't even want to take the chance....it's those what the hell moments that you have to now start to focus on and battle through.

It was 100% a mental lapse, but in my mind I said, "well I made it this long what's 1 cig?"  I know full well it was a dumb idea.  It was just straight stupid.  I can say that although I am upset that I did that, I was very happy to have not enjoyed it.  Its almost validation to me that I have made a huge move forward.  I know its sounds completely counter intuitive.  I'm not justifying that what I did was right or acceptable, that's just how it turned out.

I don't really get it either. 

gah

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on May 10, 2011, 02:43:19 PM

I don't get it.

j/k

It was 100% a mental lapse, but in my mind I said, "well I made it this long what's 1 cig?"  I know full well it was a dumb idea.  It was just straight stupid.  I can say that although I am upset that I did that, I was very happy to have not enjoyed it.  Its almost validation to me that I have made a huge move forward.  I know its sounds completely counter intuitive.  I'm not justifying that what I did was right or acceptable, that's just how it turned out.

It's all good. Its like mrc. said, took a couple puffs one time bumming one of someone and almost got sick, and never thought about it again. It could simply be the same kind of thing. So you had one, realized it sucked, didn't enjoy it, and so that's that. You'll be fine, I know it.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: goodabouthood on May 10, 2011, 02:56:01 PM

I don't get it.

j/k

It's all good. Its like mrc. said, took a couple puffs one time bumming one of someone and almost got sick, and never thought about it again. It could simply be the same kind of thing. So you had one, realized it sucked, didn't enjoy it, and so that's that. You'll be fine, I know it.

I think so too.  Part of this thread is to share this with others so that those trying to understand what goes on.  For me, it is therapeutic.

phuzzyfish12

One of the many reason's I quit smoking:

UncleE: I think we've all been there before, don't beat yourself up too much. The fact that you didn't enjoy it is just another reason and reminder as to why you quit.

gah

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on May 10, 2011, 03:04:15 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on May 10, 2011, 02:56:01 PM

I don't get it.

j/k

I think so too.  Part of this thread is to share this with others so that those trying to understand what goes on.  For me, it is therapeutic.

Want therapy? Next time you think about having one, give me a call. I'll come right over, and kick you in the nuts. You'll learn one way or the other!  :samurai:

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard